• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small mistakes will hurt you in SHTF.

Was watching 'Alone'...contestants were dropped off in the artic for 100 days...

Dude has a nice camp set up, great location, good amount of food...7 days in he lost his ferro rod and could make fire, dude had to drop out...1 small mistake, that if happened in real life, would've been fatal.

One of my dive instructors once told me, "if it's not important, don't bring it....if it's really important, bring 2"

2 is 1 and 1 is none.
Well damn, how many weevils do I need to bring?

Where did the weevils come from? The weird part is they where already there.
Correct. The temp got high enough they hatched. They can fly around a kitchen too. That’s why people put dry goods in containers - to contain them should they hatch.

Reactions: Kalthoff
I believe I didn't treat this one food bucket. Hoarders...? no, there is a difference between hoarders and a well organized food ration that gets checked regularly.

I have a rice story. Ants or something will eat through the plastic bags rice and beans come in and ants will then try and haul it off, one grain at a time. I left my cabin locked up one summer and came back and found rice all along the bottom of one kitchen wall. It was where ants were trying to carry the rice out under the wall but the grains were too big to get them under the wall trim at the floor.

I thought Ha Ha *Nelson laugh.

But you're correct OP, I need to go to Walmart and get some permanent hard containers to store my preps.

I have a rice story. Ants or something will eat through the plastic bags rice and beans come in and ants will then try and haul it off, one grain at a time. I left my cabin locked up one summer and came back and found rice all along the bottom of one kitchen wall. It was where ants were trying to carry the rice out under the wall but the grains were to big to get them between the wall trim and floor.

I thought Ha Ha *Nelson laugh.

But you're correct OP, I need to go t.o Walmart and get some permanent hard containers to store my preps.
Yes on the hard containers, which I have. But in my case, I didn't treat this bucket with diatomaceous

My Grandfather that served in the Pacific theater in W.W. II wouldn't eat rice after his service. Weevils had hatched in the ship's stores of rice.
During hard times you may not have the luxury of choosing as expressed above.

I believe I didn't treat this one food bucket. Hoarders...? no, there is a difference between hoarders and a well organized food ration that gets checked regularly.
How do you 'treat' a food bucket? I figure they were sealed, good for 25 years. Serious question.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Wife bought a cheap ass rice dispenser years ago; it wasn't long until we had little moth looking critters flying around the house. Told her they must be coming from the rice...sure enough, it was infested.

My Grandfather that served in the Pacific theater in W.W. II wouldn't eat rice after his service. Weevils had hatched in the ship's stores of rice.
During hard times you may not have the luxury of choosing as expressed above.
Thats why I keep my flour and cornmeal in the fridge. I remember growing up and hearing my mom cussing at weevils in the flour.

I used heat sealed mylar bags with oxygen packets. Hopefully that stops this.

Another thing you can do is go to the grocery store and get some large blocks of dry ice.
Stick the dry ice in the bottom of the container, and then pour in all the rice or oats or such
Leave it open for a couple hours until it melts and the CO2 pushes out all the oxygen.

Then seal it.

Was watching 'Alone'...contestants were dropped off in the artic for 100 days...

Dude has a nice camp set up, great location, good amount of food...7 days in he lost his ferro rod and could make fire, dude had to drop out...1 small mistake, that if happened in real life, would've been fatal.

One of my dive instructors once told me, "if it's not important, don't bring it....if it's really important, bring 2"

2 is 1 and 1 is none.
I dummy cord all of my shit when working around snow.

Buy 250 cord and have the fuck at it. You can put a clip at the end if you think you need to to take it off off.

The one I have let’s me clip the clips to my watch band.

Reactions: ...
Wonder if you vacuum sealed bags of rice, beans, etc. it would stop the hatch process?

Wonder if you vacuum sealed bags of rice, beans, etc. it would stop the hatch process?

From my research, if you want a true airtight seal for 25~ years, you need to use mylar bags as the metal lining stops oxygen from slowly infiltrating. Regular vacuum seal plastic bags will slowly allow it back in over 3-4 years. It's claimed plastic buckets can eventually leak oxygen over a 5 year period. I lined mine with 5 gallon mylar bags, dropped in oxygen absorbers, then ironed the bags shut.

Reactions: Kalthoff and 6.5SH
weevilCapture.JPG

Or if you don't want to mess with all this packaging nonsense. Get a bunch of fast food take out:

Zw

I just threw out 60 pounds of rice that were infested with weevils. Not that much money… but a flaw in my system none the less. Now I have to check all my supplies and retreat. Go check your supplies.

Yes on the hard containers, which I have. But in my case, I didn't treat this bucket with diatomaceous
There's your problem I'm guessing

I heard you put rice and beans in the freezer (0 or below) for 5-6 days then seal it. Anyone know if that's true?

Reactions: nikonNUT
What about 150 degrees in the oven?
I saw a pan of expensive IAMS dry cat food on the deck was full of ants and the cat couldn't eat it. Pissed me off. I couldn't spray it with ant spray, obviously, so I got the bright idea of putting the food on a paper plate and nuking the ants in the microwave. I was surprised when it didn't faze the ants at all, it just made them go crazy and run around the inside of the scientific oven.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I saw a pan of expensive IAMS dry cat food on the deck was full of ants and the cat couldn't eat it. Pissed me off. I couldn't spray it with ant spray, obviously, so I got the bright idea of putting the food on a paper plate and nuking the ants in the microwave. I was surprised when it didn't phase the ants at all, it just made them go crazy and run around the inside of the scientific oven.
You dodged a bullet there:

Apply Heat or Cold to Stored Foods

If you find a food that is infested, or if you suspect it may be and you want to try to kill the weevils instead of discarding the food, you can usually kill the adult weevils, as well as the eggs, larvae, and pupae, by heating the product to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 15 minutes or by freezing the product at 0 degrees or lower for three days.

Heating is used to sterilize commercial potting soils and stuff, not much can survive over 160-175.

I saw a pan of expensive IAMS dry cat food on the deck was full of ants and the cat couldn't eat it. Pissed me off. I couldn't spray it with ant spray, obviously, so I got the bright idea of putting the food on a paper plate and nuking the ants in the microwave. I was surprised when it didn't faze the ants at all, it just made them go crazy and run around the inside of the scientific oven.
Microwaved a spider once. Little fucker was invincible

• Haha
Reactions: Cowpokey
Bug protein is the sustainable, environmentally friendly, future.

In the future you store long term weevils!

My 2022 diet plans are going to work better than expected after reading this post.

When storing grains if you'll drop a chunk of dry ice in the bottom of the container it will offgas co2 and preserve better for extended periods. And you gotta rotate. I love my vacuum sealer.

Reactions: PDXGS