• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small pistol magnum primers for 9mm?

If you drop the powder between 1/10 to 2/10 you will end up back to normal, a friend of mine just used them and loaded a regular charge and they felt like plus p rounds to me, I have to admit I let him shoot a magazine before I tried....

You guys are on shaky ground. (n) I value my fingers more than the need to experiment.

As you should know, the primers don't hurt you it's that you're changing the burn rate of the charge and pressure curve. Gee why do we even need small primers? 🤷‍♂️

I just loaded up some 9mm with clays universal and wspm but havent shot them over the chrono yet. I dont think that will happen until next week. When I tried wsp vs wspm in my 357 snub with clays universal I noticed only a + 20fps change in velocity with the magnum primer. I would be more concerned with your firing pin not setting them off since they are supposedly harder.

As you should know, the primers don't hurt you it's that you're changing the burn rate of the charge and pressure curve. Gee why do we even need small primers? 🤷‍♂️
Fully aware of how fingers/hands get blown off. If your running a mild charge weight, switching to magnum primers is not going to harm you or the gun.

For what's worth I've been loading WW SRP's for my 9 MM's for a while W/O any problems. I use them with Unique and powder coated 122's & 147's Both loads were shot from a Canik TP9SFX with a 3MOA red dot at 35 yds.
In other tests I could not see any difference between the Fed. SPP & the WW SRP

Attachments

• 9 MM group 005.JPG
    9 MM group 005.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 211
I run CCI 450 SRP in my 9mm loads, I worked my load up slowly after running out of WSP.
No issues...
3/10 grain less of Accurate #5....

Like any other component change. Start at 10% below max charge and increment up watching for pressure signs. It aint rocket science.

I went from Win SPP to CCI SPM to CCI 400 to CCI 450 in 180 power factor 9mm major. The loads were conservatively 50K+ PSI. I saw about 20FPS difference between the SPP and SPM. Those loads were massively over pressure and unsafe yet the primer type made almost no difference. If you're loading under 40K PSI (NATO +P+) you are not going to change the safety of the load by switching from SPP to SPM.

I've been using them with 124's and 5 grains of cfe pistol. They shoot great! Your not going to blow any fingers off with a magnum primer...

this right here^^^ im 5.1g CFE pistol with a fed200M and a 124g FMJ RN extreme....5.4g with 124g hornady XTP and 124g RMR JHP.

About out of regular primers and do not remember why I have these, so to use them for 9mm any idea if and how much I should reduce the load?

Thanks
Using a small pistol magnum primer in a cartridge that’s already a high pressure round, isn’t prudent .
You cant get enough slow burning pistol powder in that small case to justify using a small pistol magnum primer.
Now if you were loading for a 357 Magnum with a 140-158 Gr load, with some W296 or some IMR-4227, then a small magnum primer would be used. Magnum primers have longer burning and hotter flames in order to completely burn the slow burning pistol powders.

Small pistol magnum and small rifle work. Would imagine a small rifle magnum would be usable also. Work up as normal. You may see some changes in groups if you shoot Bullseye.

A note on the rifle primers, you'll need a good mainspring. Weak springs can result in light strikes.

Thanks for all yalls info...
In other times I would not be doing this, but things being what they are you got to improvise.
I am using 147gn for subsonics on 3.2gn titegroup that I have 5 lbs of. running at 950fps.
I will get back on this next week and see how it works out.

In other times I would not be doing this, but things being what they are you got to improvise.
I am using 147gn for subsonics on 3.2gn titegroup that I have 5 lbs of. running at 950fps.
Keep this in mind, just because you can doesn’t mean you should !

Please don’t.

TG and 147’s in the 9mm is a stupid combination. Increasing start pressure makes it more stupid.

Reactions: black max

Great video where they show actual pressure data, etc. TLDR (watch?) = no safety issues using magnum or small rifle primers though you may have light strikes in sensitive/competition/modified pistols.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Recently used the last of my WSP. Switched to Remington small rifle, reduced my load and worked back up. No issues. No light strikes in a Sig P320.

I have shot almost 1k 3.5 titegroup 135gr acme with CCI 500, shoots great in G19,G17.

If I can’t find small pistol soon getting ready to use 41’s next.

I worked my load up again with mag small pistol, CFE pistol powder, 9mm 125gr coated bullets. I think I might have ended up .1 lower, but my loads were never pushing the redline anyway.

Reactions: fyaman43

Great video where they show actual pressure data, etc. TLDR (watch?) = no safety issues using magnum or small rifle primers though you may have light strikes in sensitive/competition/modified pistols.

Thanks for the video. looks like good info.
I still have not tested the magnum primers yet...