• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small quantities of ammunition to test?

basman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
Northern Virginia
Where is a good place to order small, like one or two boxes, of ammunition to test?

It seems like no one place has the selection of “match” type ammo.

Is 50-100 enough to test?

Thanks
Jeff

I called around a few places looking to order some ammo for lot testing, ended up finding what I needed at graf and sons. Just called and told them how many boxes of how many lots. Quick shipping also.

Since you are in VA, shipping from Outdoor Limited in High Point, NC might not be bad. You can get small quantities in most the major brands.

Reactions: dpfelton
Killough Shooting sells Eley by the lot number in whatever amount you want.

Neal at International Shooters Service might as well, but he can be annoyed.

CC and CSS are indeed good recommendations, but you need to CALL and ask. Neither one of their websites are particularly stellar.

But if you're serious: order 10 boxes of Eley Black from Killough, each from different speed lots. See what speed the rifle likes, then order 5-10 more boxes of either Tenex or Black and see which LOT # shoots best. When you're done with that, go back and order a case of what worked.

Killough is what I always go to.

Once a year they bring their mobile test lab up here to the Olympic Training Center.

yeah championshooters site left a lot to be desired (having to click on each ammo to see prices vs just showing all with prices, not having freight calc'd before plopping down your credit card). one of the least user-friendly sites i've seen lately.

just ordered an assortment from both graf (flat $8 shipping) and academy (free shipping at least now).

I agree, I ended up using Graf with the flat rate shipping. They had a nice assortment of different brands to get me started.

I buy a lot of ammo from Grafs but if you’re looking at lot testing in small quantities then I’ve not had any luck using them. I usually buy a couple of bricks and hope for the best. If it shoots great then I set it back for matches. The other gets used for practice.