• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small Reloading: A Beginning undertaken by a beginner . . .

Limedust

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
<b>A Brief Preamble:</b> I am a complete amateur in regards to marksmanship. I purchased a first rifle less than one year ago; I bought a Tikka T3 Lite on 14 December 2012 which, in retrospect, wasn't the best day to do so. Since then I have shot 305 rounds, and I have made some progress in accuracy and consistency (and have also realized that my practice schedule is close to pathetic). The rifle is great, but the ammunition situation has prompted me to purchase different weights, types, quantities, and qualities of cartridges . . . and that sucks for bunch of reasons. So, I have decided that I will hand-load from here on out. What follows (and will follow) is my attempt to put together a economical, spatially efficient, easy to use, readily available/replaceable, semi-accurate re-loading set-up that a beginner (like me) can get a handle on.

<b>Requirements:</b>
1: Equal to or less than 500 dollars for entire set-up . . . from nothing to projectile down-range
2: No bench required
3: Compact; fits inside an ammo can
4: Few moving, wear-prone parts
5: Simple (as possible)

While the list of requirements may seem idiosyncratic, I have to think that there might be others struggling under the same sorts of constraints; I live in a small condo with no extra rooms, my garage is about three centimeters wider and longer than my car, and I have to budget my monetary resources pretty carefully. After a lot of research--and, no joke, about four months of reading, comparing, thinking, doubting, and wondering--I ended up with the equipment that appears below:

<b>Capital Investment:</b>
Lyman Reloading Manual 49th Edition (Amazon, $19.99)
Lee Classic Loader .308 Win (Amazon, $29.98)
Lee Powder Measure Kit (Amazon, $13.97)
Lee Pocket Primer Cleaner (Sportsman's Warehouse, $5.65)
Lee Precision Chamfer Tool (Sportsman's Warehouse, $5.87)
Lee Precision Cutter and Lock Stud (Amazon, $13.32)
Lee Precision .308 Gauge/Holder (Amazon, $8.39)
Frankford Arsenal Bullet Puller (Amazon, $17.23)
Ammo Can (Gun Show, $15.00)
Mitutoyo 505-704 Dial Caliper (Ebay, $61.00)
Vaughn Mallet (Already had it, but think it cost 11.00)

<b>Consumables:</b>
Lapua 155 grn Scenar x 100 (US Lapua, $41.21)
Range Brass x 40 (Free)
Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle Primers x 100 (Sportsman's Warehouse, $3.79)
IMR 4895 8# (Bruno's, 208.00--with Hazmat)

So, all told, that comes to $454.40; now, I have paid for Amazon Prime, so that saves me a good deal on shipping, but either way, it's right there in the $500.00 range. Also, I did spread out this (albeit minor) financial burden over the course of about three months. There are some places where a fellow could save some money, even on this list: cheaper calipers, cheaper projectiles (for sure), a smaller quantity of powder, etc. A man would still be able to get started, and let's be honest . . . you don't need the ammo can and most everyone has a hammer or mallet. The big problem here was that I could not find any of the consumables listed for some time, so I just pieced things together when I thought I had a few extra bucks on the way home from the range or I was ordering something else from Amazon.

<b>Why this Stuff?</b>
To begin . . . everything here is pretty small. The Lee Classic Loader is about the size of a slim paperback book. It also created the load that won some sort of precision shooting competition for a few years in a row, and I like that. The trimmer and case holder are really tiny (even if you add on the wooden, ball handled cutter) and and the sizing gauge is about the size of a pencil. They're also cheap . . . and from what I can tell good enough for most low to middling quality shooters.

I got the caliper I did because it's pretty interesting, really, and Mitutoyo is well regarded. There are other choices, for sure, and I have read that the typical Chinese digital caliper is just fine for most reloading work (and it seems that most of the reloading branded ones are that same build).

I purchased the bullet puller because I have never done this before; I plan on making a few dummy rounds and measuring so that I can set the Lee Loader to the appropriate OAL with it's locking rings. I also plan on screwing up . . . or at least I count on it. Also, it just sort of seems like a nice thing to have. Several reviews proved that the design and even most of the construction are the same on these pullers from the Lyman to Frankford. See YouTube for some demonstrations.

Most of the other stuff was purchased because it was available. I'm not sure yet what type of bullet or powder I truly like, but I'll be able to at least test them out and work up some loads that may work for me. The primers were a fortuitous find . . . a seemingly overlooked package barely visible amidst an array of empty boxes. I have read here that most prefer CCI, but hopefully the Remington won't let anyone down.

I'm pretty happy with everything so far. It all (with the exception of the powder) fits inside the .50 Cal ammo can I bought with some room leftover and I didn't spend a ton of money. The choices I have made aren't the best . . . no one would argue that. The choices I have made, however, will hopefully allow me to shoot more; ammo availability and money have limited my practice and with this set-up, I plan to go from about $1.35 (on average) per round to roughly $0.65 per round in consumables after the equipment investment. The time frame for production of rounds isn't prohibitive to my shooting schedule and may in fact improve it. I don't think it's too big a deal to spend a couple hours--all told--putting together 60 rounds or so.

Anyhow, I haven't reloaded anything yet, but I have cleaned and prepped the brass (used a vinegar/salt/detergent cleaning solution and some agitation for cleaning) and will prime tomorrow. When projectiles arrive, I'll get to it and I'll make sure to post another installment here. I fully intend to provide the new shooter here with the ins-and-outs of my experience (and folly) with this set-up, the relative accuracy of the ammo, and any trials, travails, tribulations and successes I manage to scrape together.

<b>Quick Tips (Prior to actual reloading) that Won't Cost You Any Dough or Space:</b>
1: If you have a piece of equipment, at least six people on YouTube want to teach you how to use it; type in the name of the piece and voila. Watch all six videos.
2: Bookmark Gunbot . . . GunBot find 223 5.56 AR-15 ammo in stock to keep track of available components
3: Read Everything in this reloading section on Sniper's Hide; even the posts not about your caliber, your press, your practices can provide something useful
4: Read all the online reloading information about your caliber and projectile choice from the manufacturer
5: Don't do anything I have written about until you know I have survived my first hundred hand-loaded rounds

Next post I'll throw in some pictures (ammo can loaded with my cheap reloading stuff, rifle, targets) and hopefully have some groups and information on a load or two. Hopefully the Hiders here will add thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions . . . I'd appreciate anything you guys have to say and I hope that documenting this process throughout may help a new reloader or two along the way.

Last edited:
Great write up.

You can get started in reloading on the cheap and still produce great ammo.

I know several shooters that started reloading while living in a cramped apartment, and what they did was bolt their press to a 2x6 long enough to reach across their kitchen table or counter, and used C-clamps to hold it to the table. When they were done, the clamps came off and the press went into the top of a closet.

Good write up but see comments below. While it is apparent my comments are too late, I would point out you didn't practice Quick Tips item 4.
I have lived in a 750sf apartment with 4 kids while all my stuff was neatly tucked away (bullet parts in with the shoes, progressive press next to the furnace) I would clamp it to the kitchen table when I needed to reload.

Capital Investment:
Lyman Reloading Manual 49th Edition (Amazon, $19.99)
Lee Classic Loader .308 Win (Amazon, $29.98)
These are incredibly slow, produce OK ammo, but at some point your accuracy will cease to improve due to the quality of ammo you are producing.
If you had changed the ammo can requirement to plastic toolbox like what you can buy at Home Despot, you could fit a disassembled Lee Challenger Press.
Lee Powder Measure Kit (Amazon, $13.97)
These work as long as you use them consistently. Recommend a scale though.

Lee Pocket Primer Cleaner (Sportsman's Warehouse, $5.65)
Lee Precision Chamfer Tool (Sportsman's Warehouse, $5.87)
Lee Precision Cutter and Lock Stud (Amazon, $13.32)
Lee Precision .308 Gauge/Holder (Amazon, $8.39)
Frankford Arsenal Bullet Puller (Amazon, $17.23)
Think positive and with the complete intention that you will NOT produce any crap ammo that needs to be pulled. If something does need pulling, mark it, and store it for later when you have hte hardware.
Ammo Can (Gun Show, $15.00)
Mitutoyo 505-704 Dial Caliper (Ebay, $61.00)
Save yourself $50 and buy a cheapo at Harbor Freight.

Vaughn Mallet (Already had it, but think it cost 11.00)

Consumables:
Lapua 155 grn Scenar x 100 (US Lapua, $41.21)
Range Brass x 40 (Free)
Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle Primers x 100 (Sportsman's Warehouse, $3.79)
IMR 4895 8# (Bruno's, 208.00--with Hazmat)
That is enough powder to produce >1,200 rounds of ammo. Store it in a cool, dry, dark place because it will take a few years to load all that on a Lee Classic.

So, all told, that comes to $454.40; now, I have paid for Amazon Prime, so that saves me a good deal on shipping, but either way, it's right there in the $500.00 range. Also, I did spread out this (albeit minor) financial burden over the course of about three months. There are some places where a fellow could save some money, even on this list: cheaper calipers, cheaper projectiles (for sure), a smaller quantity of powder, etc. A man would still be able to get started, and let's be honest . . . you don't need the ammo can and most everyone has a hammer or mallet. The big problem here was that I could not find any of the consumables listed for some time, so I just pieced things together when I thought I had a few extra bucks on the way home from the range or I was ordering something else from Amazon.

Quick Tips (Prior to actual reloading) that Won't Cost You Any Dough or Space:
1: If you have a piece of equipment, at least six people on YouTube want to teach you how to use it; type in the name of the piece and voila. Watch all six videos.
2: Bookmark Gunbot . . . GunBot find 223 5.56 AR-15 ammo in stock to keep track of available components
3: Read Everything in this reloading section on Sniper's Hide; even the posts not about your caliber, your press, your practices can provide something useful
4: Read all the online reloading information about your caliber and projectile choice from the manufacturer
Ask questions too!
5: Don't do anything I have written about until you know I have survived my first hundred hand-loaded rounds
Already did, starting with a .270 on the Lee Classic.

Last edited:
I would caution you -- the Lee Loader only neck sizes your cases. For all the 1X fired brass that you did not fire through your gun, make sure they will chamber in your gun before you try to reload them. For the ones that don't, you will need to FL resize them.

I would caution you -- the Lee Loader only neck sizes your cases. For all the 1X fired brass that you did not fire through your gun, make sure they will chamber in your gun before you try to reload them. For the ones that don't, you will need to FL resize them.

Thanks for that. So far I only have my range brass . . . I should have made that clearer above.

I appreciate the replies.