• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small ring mauser thoughts?

Tx635

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2020
I recently found some barreled 1916 Spanish Mauser actions with striped bolts and some extra parts each for sale. I was wondering if 5 for $69.95, plus $22.50 shipping, and $25each transfer is worth it.
Im look to possibly build one into a .257 roberts for my fiance and im not sure about the others. This would be my first build but i have a gunsmith at my ffl to help.

The parts included with each action is handle, Bolt extractor collar, Trigger Guard - stripped, Rear sight base, Rear Band, Band Spring, Buttplate, Front Band, Handguard ring.

Pressures above 50k will set the bolt back on a '16/M93/Spanish. I've personally seen
M93's set back by aggressive 7x57 loads. What are we calling aggressive? 140gr NAB's sitting on top of 50gr of IMR-4350 running almost 2900 thru a 22" lothar Walther 9 twist barrel.
The 6.5x57 with Aggressive handloads do the same.
If you want use a 93 keep your loads at 45k and it will work fine.
Other considerations on small ring Mausers for running more pressure and higher velocities.
The 1910 and 1936 Mexican Mausers are both M98 designs and small ring.
The M98 is a cock on opening design.
The bolt is a stronger 3 lug design with an antibind guide rib.
The receiver itself is made of better steel and has a thicker harder case hardening.
The Mexican M98 actions run about $275.00 in military form.
The Mexican M98 actions are intermediate length 3.150 internal length.
As with any Military action the price of the action is really just a start and in the end for a full on build you'll really only be after the Receiver and bolt, the military bottom metals will work, but generally leave some to be desired as it relates to the higher end builds.
Other decent small ring Mausers worth going after would be the VZ-33 and it's successor, the G33/40 which coincides with the German invasion of eastern Eruope in 1940. They basically took over CZ as I understand it.
The G33/40 actions are somewhat rare, the VZ-33 actions are more rare. Both are desirable and have been the platform for many high end rifles. If you're going to spend money on a Mauser project do it right, avoid the M93, there are better Mauser actions to choose from. The M98 is better supported both in terms of aftermarket parts and those willing to Smith them as compared to the '16/M93/Spanish. I can tell you this in confidence with 33 years in the trade and literally hundreds of Mausers across my bench and machines.

Reactions: sandwarrior
There are guys who have done destructive testing on small ring vs large ring Mauser’s. Basically you have to load to idiotic levels to damage either, but theoretically the large ring is stronger.

I would shoot a small ring in a modern caliber any day if the job is done well.

This will answer all your questions. It’s a bit of reading though.
He had to generate insane pressures to get any damage to manifest.

I have found parts for large and small Mausers on Ebay, gunbroker, and at some of the gunshows in the state there are tables full of parts for old guns.

I personally shot all sorts of loads out of my swede m/96, m/38, Kimber of Oregon conversions, Husqvarna 648 rifles...
thousands of rounds.
I am NOT worried about Swedish Small Ring Mauser integrity and/or durability. I do NoT know if same applies to other country’s small ring Mausers.

I think the most economical way to build a high-quality sporterized Mauser is to search out a JC Higgins Model 50 or 51 rifle. These guns were sold by Sears and a few other catalog outfits and were assembled in the US on commerical FN 98 Mauser actions. The FN actions are some of the finer 98's available and are drilled and tapped for scopes, bolts are turned down so they clear scopes, do not have the thumb cutout for using stripper clips, and the list goes on. Model 51s have hinged floor plates with inside the triggerguard release levers a nice feature. Another option are the Zastava mausers found in Interarms Mark 5, Remington 798, or straight Zastava's, these are qute nice guns for the money.

The cost of gunsmith work is much more than it was than in the heyday of sporterizing military weapons and the cost of the weapons themselves have gone up dramatically, the combination have made starting from a military Mauser to be a money pit. I know I have done both, I still do some sporterizing of military 98's as I have a bunch of receivers laying around and the most important the machine shop to do the work.

Reactions: Tx635
I think the most economical way to build a high-quality sporterized Mauser is to search out a JC Higgins Model 50 or 51 rifle. These guns were sold by Sears and a few other catalog outfits and were assembled in the US on commerical FN 98 Mauser actions. The FN actions are some of the finer 98's available and are drilled and tapped for scopes, bolts are turned down so they clear scopes, do not have the thumb cutout for using stripper clips, and the list goes on. Model 51s have hinged floor plates with inside the triggerguard release levers a nice feature. Another option are the Zastava mausers found in Interarms Mark 5, Remington 798, or straight Zastava's, these are qute nice guns for the money.

The cost of gunsmith work is much more than it was than in the heyday of sporterizing military weapons and the cost of the weapons themselves have gone up dramatically, the combination have made starting from a military Mauser to be a money pit. I know I have done both, I still do some sporterizing of military 98's as I have a bunch of receivers laying around and the most important the machine shop to do the work.

Indeed.
And agreed, the 50 and 51 have served well and will continue to do so.
On the flip side of the coin. Here's a small ring 98 with square bridges I'm doing from scratch, 4340 rec. 8620 bolt. Nice stick of old growth California english walnut. Caliber 275 Rigby.

Attachments

• IMG_20191223_1120381_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20191223_1120381_rewind.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20191223_1120186_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20191223_1120186_rewind.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: Tx635