• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Small Sandblasting Gun Needed - Recommendations

Gideon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
Hartland, CT
I have a small compressor (4 cfm @ 90 psi) and need to grit blast a barrelled action. I want to buy a small sandblasting gun that requires a minimum amount of air flow. Can someone suggest a blasting gun for this application?

Re: Small Sandblasting Gun Needed - Recommendations

Might not want to hear this, but blasting at 4 CFM max is going to be an exercise in futility and frustration. Consistent volume + consistent pressure = effective blasting. High volume is key to uniform blasting over a large surface. Low volume and high pressure is more akin to fine etching.

Your compressor sounds more suited for narrow applications such as fine airbrushing.

Brain,

I know you're right about my compressor being undersized for most blasting guns and large areas. I was hoping it could keep up with a small blaster for this one relatively small job.

Blackout,

A higher flow compressor is not in my near future. If I can't make my compressor work, I'll need to farm out the grit blasting job. I'd like however to do this job myself if possible. The second gun you linked to looks like it could work bot no flow requirement specs are given. I'll try looking into it further.

What kind of tank volume do you have. If you have a 20gallon or so tank, that will give you some draw down befor you run out of air. You could probably get something like the Speed Blaster siphon fed gun that would run for 10-20 seconds on a 20 gallon tank before you have to stop and let the compressor catch up.

I used to sell a Sand Blast brand pressure blaster. It came with a gun they called the 38 special gun. Took some smaller tips, and I believe it required about 4cfm with the smallest tip.

You might be able to get an extra tank or two to plug in line with your compressor to get your volume up enough to allow some blasting before you run out of air. I have a tool repair shop, and have used tanks off of parted out compressors that I sell all the time.

Randy

120 grit aluminum oxide at 40 psi works wonders. Unless your air compressor can pump and hold 60-70 psi, you'll be a while. The first gun in the above post is one like Snap On sells. It works great.

When I was younger I sandblasted concrete for a living. Make sure you take proper steps not to breath the dust. The dust settles in you lungs and will cause your lungs to harden when your older, causing death.

Jeffm, good point about filtering. I have a good 3M 7502 respirator.

h2osport, I have been keeping my eye out on ebay for a 20 gallon tank to use as an attachable portable. I don't have one yet. My compressor only has a 4 1/2 gallon tank. (It's an Ingersol Rand 2 hp portable model.) I agree with your suggestion that I'll probably need one for what I'm trying to do. I'm just not ready to purchase a new 20 gallon tank yet. Used is my preference here.

wnroscoe, I don't mind if this one job takes a while. If I knew I needed to be blasting more often, I'd be looking for a much bigger compresssor. I am just hoping I can do this one job properly with the compressor I have. That's why I'm looking for a small blasting gun.

You got a rental place nearby? Check and see what it would cost to rent what you need for a day.

I'm guessing it wouldn't cost much more to have someone do the blasting job for me than to rent a large compressor.

Ive seen guys hook portable air tanks to the compressor for more volume.

Re: Small Sandblasting Gun Needed - Recommendation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive seen guys hook portable air tanks to the compressor for more volume. </div></div>
I easily made one out of a old 80gal hot water heater tank to let a 4HP/25gal run all day. Worked to spray paint and cool the air. It's just a delay for the inevitable. Same could work for a 20gal used in appartments. Salvage yard time.

I also burnt up that compressor.
smile.gif