• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small Shooting Platform Ideas

KNIGHT11B4

Core Shooting
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Everywhere
www.coreshooting.com
Im looking for a few ideas for a small shooting platform. I know this seems pretty simple and could easily be done with lumber, and tools but I wanted to hear some other ideas.

A place I shoot locally has the ability to shoot 900-1k. Only problem being that there is a small bump/incline slily down range which prevents prone shot. I hate shooting from a bench so something needs to be done.

Platform only needs to be a few feet high 2,3 or 4 foot max. If possible, not a must have... it would be awesome if the platform were transportable in pieces then assembled once I was on site. The platform would remain on location once move there, it would just be taken from the line into the wood line when not in use.

Any ideas welcome, even if it doesn't exactly fit my needs. Im sure someone will benefit from the info.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Small Shooting Platform Ideas

ryan how bout an eight foot long table or something of the sort. may be a little shakey but that might help the training

a_bishop, I had considered that but as you stated it would be rather shaky. I have been hunting around for a table that would suit my needs put so far haven't come up with anything.

I had considered making a table out of thick plywood and adding a hinge to the middle, allowing it to fold and being easier to transport. If I could also find a collapsible solution for the legs it would be near perfect.

i have used a picnic table before but that requires 2 people to move. May not be possible for you but shooting out of the back of the truck has always been the easiest setup for me.

lol i sold my truck and the trailblazer ss is a pain to shoot out of

May be hard to find but the stainless steel tables that restaurants use for food prep are very sturdy, light, and have removable legs.

Here's what I built. It's ugly, but I'm in it cheap and it works.

c7d14e27.jpg

e432b219.jpg

What about a small utility trailer with a platform at the height you want. You could attach trailer jacks at each corner to level and stabilize the platform. If you have a pickup, maybe some 2x6 on top of the bed rails with 3/4" OSB/plywood for a platform.

Scaffolding, it comes in pieces, adjustable height, easy to transport and you can rent it to see if it works.

Bolt together when you assemble and don't use the pins supplied, this will make it rigid.

All great ideas and they attack this problem from many different angles.

Id love to build a larger platform like "pyp" showed but its just an option right now.

Bmarcs idea of the folding table fits my needs well. I have a couple folding tables Im looking into, need to call the manufacturers and check some specs on max load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what I built. It's ugly, but I'm in it cheap and it works.

c7d14e27.jpg

e432b219.jpg
</div></div>

I love it how much trouble would it be to get some measurememnts for the plat form,, i have a small trailer that has been setting idle for years and this would b perfect.. could even hunt yotes off it at night

thanks Brent

The deck is treated plywood and treated 2"x4"s around the edge. It is 8'x8'in size and around 7 1/2' tall. The trailer part is the rear of an old pickup that we made into a bed trailer. I then took of the pickup bed and the rest I made from pipe and pearling I had at my barn. I honestly have about $90 in the whole thing
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would a elevated target solve the problem? I built a target out of 1 1/4" pvc tubing that sits a couple of feet off the ground, but you could make it as tall as you need it.
This is where I got the idea
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2777866. </div></div>

Good idea, we considered it but just would not work for my application.

Simply, there is a gradual slope down just past the incline I need to get over. So once Im above the incline hitting these will not be a problem.

Knight,
Me and a couple buddies built a shooting platform and stained it. Turned out very nice but it's there for permanence. The trailer idea is actually very handy. We are working on one right now and it's going to be pretty slick when it's all done. I can send you some pictures when its done.

Tag. I also have been wondering bout this, but never did a post about it. Thanks Knight!!

If this is a buddies place, a used shipping container would serve dual purpose, shoot on top, inside could be a reloading\lodge

I used an M105 trailer. Sure it has ~42" tires and weighs 2700 lbs unloaded, but it is hell for sturdy and will probably outlast me. All I had to do to have an 8' tall shooting platform (or 4' if I shoot from the bed of the trailer) was to build a deck out of treated wood. I just put it together recently and have not got to shoot off it yet, but I know it will work well.

It was much cheaper and easier than buying a regular utility trailer and welding up a frame.

I'm just curious, why don't you like shooting from a bench? It seems just dealing with that would be a lot easier...?

Hmmm how about getting 3-4 sawhorses and building a simple frame with plywood, braced underneath properly to keep from sagging.

You could install some wheels on one end so that one person could lift the other end and roll it to the tree line. And the sawhorses can easily be toted to the tree line as well.

How about a small wooden cable spool? Go down to the local power company and see if they have any laying around out back. They come in all sizes and are usually built really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just curious, why don't you like shooting from a bench? It seems just dealing with that would be a lot easier...? </div></div>

Your right, just shooting from the bench would be easier. I wouldnt have to do anything.

But I hate shooting from a bench. Practicing the fundamentals becomes almost a lost cause when shooting from a bench. I prefer to practice in a way that mirrors the way that I shoot matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just curious, why don't you like shooting from a bench? It seems just dealing with that would be a lot easier...? </div></div>

Your right, just shooting from the bench would be easier. I wouldnt have to do anything.

But I hate shooting from a bench. Practicing the fundamentals becomes almost a lost cause when shooting from a bench. I prefer to practice in a way that mirrors the way that I shoot matches. </div></div>

+1 Shooting from benches sucks.

Why not build a platform and mount it on a roof rack on top of your truck? Just take it off when not in use.

pyplynr... Brilliant!! This is exaclty what I need to get to those longer yardages at the farm I can shoot at! I just wasted half of my special ammo from McCourt Munitions because my prone needs work but my bench shooting (standing off the top of my 4runner, only way to get 300yds) stinks more than stink.

Great thread, good ideas in here.

Tag, cant see pictures on my work computer but im very curious to see the platform you built so i need to come back later and check it out!

I would take a piece of 4x8 plywood frame it out in 1x4 and then take another sheet of plywood split it down the middle so you have 2 2x8 sheets split one and hinge it to the other so you can open it up into an X then use that to support the framed 4x8 platform should be relatively stable especially if you cut the bottoms of the 2x8 sheets so that they only touch at the ends rather then the full surface.

Some really good ideas in this thread. Thanks to everyone who is sharing.

Glad to see others are finding this useful also.

Im starting to build a platform, it will be a semi-slow process but will keep the thread updated with pics as I go along.

Keep the ideas and pictures coming.

Don't know if you or your significant other has one, but I can't go back to shooting off of the ground since I climbed on the roof of my manly Chrysler minivan. Damn thing is stable as a rock, no mud , no bugs or snakes.

I had to climb on top of an suv to clear some fences once. It worked but I would like to make a trailer. Thanks for the good ideas.

A base with 3 points of contact won't rock, and each point can be on an adjustable length leg for levelling.