• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Small vs large rifle primers

bangbangpew

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2023
North Carolina
I understand that that small rifle primers tend to provide lower SDs than large ones in cases like 308. What about reliable ignition in cold temperatures? Do large rifle primers help provide more reliability in cold temps for ammo meant for hunting in winter for example? Or magnum small rifle primers and magnum large rifle primers?

I understand that that small rifle primers tend to provide lower SDs than large ones in cases like 308. What about reliable ignition in cold temperatures? Do large rifle primers help provide more reliability in cold temps for ammo meant for hunting in winter for example? Or magnum small rifle primers and magnum large rifle primers?
Delete this thread and use the other or vise versa. Don’t need dup threads.

I had used standard 308win Lapua brass for years and just last year I bought 600 cases of Lapua Palma brass (SRP) so my experience is limited. I have not noticed any gain in precision or lower velocity SDs with the Palma brass. My results with the standard LRP lapua brass were very good so I wasn’t expecting a big gain in precision.

The reason I switched was all the evidence from other shooters showing extended brass life because of the smaller primer pocket and added brass at the base. Normally, brass life ends when the pockets grow and won’t hold the primer.

regarding, shooting SRPs in cold temps, I would stick to the large primers for hunting. There is anecdotal evidence of the SRPs failing in cold temps , like below 40.

Reactions: boatbum101
just did a side by side test of SRP vs LRP
6.5 Creedmoor using Staball powder
same load the only difference were the primers
20rds each load
LRP was 66 fps faster avg over the SRP

conclusion,
primer can have effect on results
powder can be effected by the primer for different results, will try this with H4350 and see what happens there...

yes please , I'll take either at this point . which ever you can get the most of hoard it like it was gold . personally I had a lot of brass that uses a lrp and not that much of the small so I went with the one I have the most brass for . I also hoarded as many of the smalls as I can find so we have them to it's so sad I passed up the magnum versions when I had the chance . best of luck with which ever you decide to go with may you find lots of them .

I don't use my small rifle primer brass for hunting in the cold . I had some funky ignition problems when it was about 20 below zero , that convinced me it was not just a internet myth .

Reactions: boatbum101
Delete this thread and use the other or vise versa. Don’t need dup threads.

WTF

Attachments

• 1678105433127.gif
    1678105433127.gif
    549.4 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Rover31
go with what ever you can get the most of I found far more large primers when I was starting so I over spent on them , I had a few thousand cases of small primers found some primers and bought them , but the bulk of what i buy is large rifle primers then small rifle , then small pistol , and large pistol . we have made it a never ending hunt for more and more of them so to not run out of any of them so fun that is not to do every week or so . this is my opinion on it all hope you are able to buy as many primers regardless of size as you need to keep you shooting for years to come .