• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Smaller 338 Suppressor

akmtnrunner

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
I am familiar with a few of the large 338 suppressors out there designed for the 338 Lapua (9", 16+oz) and not as much importance towards a smaller form factor and weight. Since there are a few 30 cal cans that do a great job handling the blast of a 300 RUM in a 7" and ~10oz package, there must be the potential for a similar sized one simply opened up to 338 cal. I am thinking the whole size of the suppressor is built around the amount of powder blast (case capacity) and the bullet diameter is more of a formality.

I think there would be a lot of interest in such a can for hunting as it would reduce the main criticism of the 338's: recoil. Most of the hunting 338 cartridges don't burn any more powder than the 30 cal magnums and with the larger bore, the blast is more attenuated at the muzzle.

With that said, I know the manufacturers are having a difficult time keeping up with demand for 22/6.5/30 caliber cans already so I can understand this corner of the market hasn't developed yet. In any case, if someone develops a 7"/10oz 338 suppressor, please take my money!

Rex Silentium makes a .358 bore version of their MG7 suppressor that seems to be pretty popular and an excellent value:

With the 30% off sale they are running the next few days, you should be able to pick one up for <$350.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Rex Silentium makes a .358 bore version of their MG7 suppressor that seems to be pretty popular and an excellent value:

With the 30% off sale they are running the next few days, you should be able to pick one up for <$350.

Where did you see the 30% off? Is there a code, or how do you get those prices?

Rex Silentium also does custom suppressors. Pick the bore size and number of baffles. Shortest length is 4”. I’m planning to order a 7-8” one for a 338 Federal that I’m currently running with a 338 Lapua suppressor.

The reason 338 cans are so big is to get remotely close to hearing safe levels with 338LM gas volume.

Sure...you can get a smaller lighter can for 338lm but it will basically be a blast can and you will still need double hearing pro...

+1 for AB. Their 8 baffle can runs 7.3" and weighs in at 7.8 oz according to their website. I'm also doing some demo of their product and like it a lot so far. My only problem is that I wanted to demo a 338 can and received a 30 cal.... My fault for not verifying the part number. Here is the link to the specs.

Reactions: xdeano
80114.jpeg
80118.jpeg

Left is a AB can, middle is the v3 dakota silencer can, right is a 224cal AB.
Xdeano

Last edited:
Theyre lite! I dont have a decent scale but I'm thinking when I find that time ive been looking for I'll take them up to the post office and have them weighed. I know the gal there and she will let me get a number.
Xdeano

The reason 338 cans are so big is to get remotely close to hearing safe levels with 338LM gas volume.

Sure...you can get a smaller lighter can for 338lm but it will basically be a blast can and you will still need double hearing pro...

This thread is not for the LM.

Thanks, xdeano, the AB Suppressors look very interesting and might be perfect for what I am looking for. I'll keep an eye out for your write up!

Reactions: xdeano
I am familiar with a few of the large 338 suppressors out there designed for the 338 Lapua (9", 16+oz) and not as much importance towards a smaller form factor and weight. Since there are a few 30 cal cans that do a great job handling the blast of a 300 RUM in a 7" and ~10oz package, there must be the potential for a similar sized one simply opened up to 338 cal. I am thinking the whole size of the suppressor is built around the amount of powder blast (case capacity) and the bullet diameter is more of a formality.

I think there would be a lot of interest in such a can for hunting as it would reduce the main criticism of the 338's: recoil. Most of the hunting 338 cartridges don't burn any more powder than the 30 cal magnums and with the larger bore, the blast is more attenuated at the muzzle.

With that said, I know the manufacturers are having a difficult time keeping up with demand for 22/6.5/30 caliber cans already so I can understand this corner of the market hasn't developed yet. In any case, if someone develops a 7"/10oz 338 suppressor, please take my money!
I picked up my SilencerCo Omega 36M last Friday, and shot it yesterday for the first time on my Barrett MRAD 338-Lapua barrel. I was literally "stunned" at the level of recoil reduction, concussion reduction, and sound decreased over the APA Fat Bastard muzzle brake that I removed for the suppressor. I'm super happy with this, and it's definitely a smaller form-factor than the vast majority of 338-eligible suppressors on the market. It's got other great features too (modular, multi-caliber, several mount options), but I primarily got it for my MRAD 338 barrel, and after putting 50 rounds through it yesterday ... I couldn't be happier with it.

I'm not certain that any manufacturer would build a can in 338 and and not rate it for 338LM from a liability standpoint.....
Hard to imagine why anybody would build a .338 suppressor, that didn't support the most widely used variant (.338-LM). It wouldn't make any sense from a ROI perspective. IMHO.

I'm not certain that any manufacturer would build a can in 338 and and not rate it for 338LM from a liability standpoint.....

Yet manufacturers make 30 cal cans that aren't rated for the 300 win mag. And to think there are 46 caliber cans out there that someone could potentially put on their 460 weatherby.

But seriously, there are quite a lot of people out there who would be interested in putting a muffler on their 338 federal, 338-06, 338 win mag, or other 'moderate' magnum 338 if it wasn't 20 oz/10". If there are plenty of 10oz/7" options that are not just rated (but suppress well) the 300 RUM, why can't the same size muffler with a 338 aperture handle a 338 win mag with less powder blast?

In any case, a few other posters here suggested some good options that fit the bill.

I don’t disagree with your premise, simply commenting on the state of our letigious society and the mentality of lawyers and accountants