• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report smart phone ballistic calc. programs.

Re: smart phone ballistic calc. programs.

Shooter hands down.

Use the search function, there are multiple threads on here about Shooter and other programs.

For a droid OS, Shooter is the way to go.

yes on Shooter for Droid X... it's impressively accurate. I did notice some departures from Shooter prediction at longer (>500 yds) range, but that could quite easily be wrong BC's input. Or MV's varying.

If you have an iPhone or Ipod Touch the "Ballistic" app from Jonathan Zdziarski is working really well.

If you use Shooter, make sure you are getting good environmental data. Don't just use any weather data it connects to. Junk in = Junk out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use Shooter, make sure you are getting good environmental data. Don't just use any weather data it connects to. Junk in = Junk out </div></div>
Same applies to any ballistics app. Unless you're defending the local weather station, get your data some other way. I use my GPS to get uncorrected atmospheric pressure. That way, you can always leave altitude set to zero. If you can tell temperature within +- 20F, don't worry about it much. My typical .308 trajectory is off by less than 2" @ 600 yards (and not even 1/10 mil) if I vary temp by 20F. Humidity hardly matters. Leave it @ 50% unless you are dripping sweat and know it is close to 100 or you are in the Atacama desert and know it is near zero.

Which inputs matter most? bullet weight, true BC, muzzle velocity and atmosphere. Get those nailed down. After that, get temperature and shooting angle in the right ballpark and use the drag model, e.g. G7, most appropriate to your bullet shape. I'm not saying that it isn't better to have the most precise and accurate data possible. Just cover the basics first.

Shooter has been a great $10 well spent for the Droid. I can't remember the name or read any reviews but I was pretty sure I just heard of a new ballistics program out for the droids.

Now its gonna bug the shit out of me... Anyone know of a new program?

I used Horus AtragMP on a PALM for years and had great luck with it. I decided to try the Knights Armament Bullet Flight app out and it is amazing, very easy to use and has a pretty extensive bullet library. It only works with the Iphone or Itouch as far as I know.

Kirk R

I have a iPhone. I use Ballistic FTE (this is the more expensive version). I also have Bullet Flight, but always end up using Ballistic.

Not sure if Ballistic is made for Droid, but I got it for the iPod a while back and it's worked fine. I'd expect that most of these programs use the same set of equations to calculate ballistic trajectories, and that GUI features are the only thing that really differentiates them. That being said, some of the features of Ballistic could be worked on to make them more user-friendly, such as keeping notes from each range session, or marking targets with called shots. Both of these, at least in the version that I last upgraded to, are a little cumbersome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use KAC's BulletFlight with good results. (iPhone)</div></div>
+1. (iPhone 3GS and iTouch 4)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BulletFlight is out for Android now:

https://market.android.com/search?q=bulletflight&so=1&c=apps

http://www.knightarmco.com/bulletflight/index.htm</div></div>
Great, way to go!

I'll probably stay with Apple platform - but it's nice to have alternatives available (and perhaps my wife wouldn't mind having BF loaded on her 'Droid, just in case
smile.gif
).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BulletFlight is out for Android now:
https://market.android.com/search?q=bulletflight&so=1&c=apps
http://www.knightarmco.com/bulletflight/index.htm </div></div>

I tried this softwar on my motorola mb525 and i think they must fix some bugs.
Today for Android i think shooter is n°1 and strelok n°2 (consistent but with interface not beautifull like shooter)

I will try it and check it out, but Shooter seems to be uncannily accurate for me. Shooter is one of those apps, that for large caliber ELR shooters, pays for itself by the missed second shot and then keeps on saving you money big time. At $6/round (retail value) for 338LM, spending $9.99 on a piece of software that gets you on steel first shot at any range is worth alot. I wouldn't want to pay more than $10, but it's true economic value is much higher for those that put in the effort to input accurate atmospheric data, MV and BC's.

Before Shooter, we were using tables tabulated by an experienced shooter for rounds approx like ours, same bullet different MV, and with approx adjustments for temperature, but not altitude. And we'd waste 2-3 rounds adjusting initial table values to correct adjustments. Once I got good data input to Shooter (along with a LRF), the whole range milling and table reading became a thing of the past with hits on steel first time almost every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...spending $9.99 on a piece of software that gets you on steel first shot at any range is worth alot...</div></div>
Absolutely!!

And this brings up an interesting (for me) question. Does Shooter predict the trajectory correctly through the transonic & subsonic regions?

P.S. Military lightened up to the idea of ballistic calculators.
smile.gif

P.P.S. I personally still mill the targets if I can, mostly for the fun of it. My LRF is with me whenever possible/allowed - and it lets me determine the range when I've no clue what the size of the ranged object really is.