• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smith 41 fun pistol

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    just got a smith 41 and it seems to be the perfect practice pistol accurate, good weight " not to light"
    Any others thoughts?
    Bill

Re: Smith 41 fun pistol

It is a piece of history my friend. The model 41s have been dominating Bullseye competitions for the better part of forty years.

It is also a very finely made pistol. Quite uncommon when compared to today's budget .22 pistols of plastic and aluminum. I spoke with a S&W rep a few years ago and he claimed that assembly of the 41s was done by only the company's senior employees, a testimony to their exactness.

It can be a bit finicky with ammo however. It only has a taste for the good stuff.

I got one and love it, been told all the parts are forged. I don't know if its true not though.

Great acquisition Bill! My only regret about mine is that I wasted so many years owning one. I buy CCI Standard Velocity by the case.It is the round that S&W tests with. Mine loves it and I have zero FTF issues. I clean/lube with Eezox which leaves a slick dry film that you will be able to feel, but does not attract the slurry a 22 RF round generates. I also put one of those $10 buffers(from Midway)in front of the recoil spring.You already know how easy the barrel comes off to clean or change. The is a BULLY barrel with integrated scope rail, and threaded for suppressor. So, you Smith can adapt to your changing needs. There is a forum(guntalk-online.com) that has a maintenance page for the 41 run by a nice guy named Bullseye who shoots 41 in competition. Regards
    CIMG0892.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just got a smith 41 and it seems to be the perfect practice pistol accurate, good weight " not to light"
    Any others thoughts?
    Bill </div></div>
    Yes. With respect to all other opinions and experiences, when it comes down to it the most important thing is how well <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> shoot it and what <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> think of it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Vintage 7" barrel Smith & Wesson Model 41:</span>
    Model41LS8x6.jpg

Keith

Check out the Smith & Wesson forum at rimfire central, lots of good info on the Model 41. I'm patiently waiting for mine and have been doing a bit of reading on them.

Biggest arguments or concerns at RFC are the use of high velocity ammo in them causing cracks. Standard velocity or subsonics are the only thing that is reccomended.

Did you get the 5.5 inch or the 7 inch?

Let us know how it runs for you.
    Enjoy your pistol.

Probably the classiest of the rimfire pistols.

I reaaaly wish I wouldn't have sold mine. I migrated to a tricked out CZ Kadet (to match my centerfire guns) which I love, but still long for the 41 sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a piece of history my friend. The model 41s have been dominating Bullseye competitions for the better part of forty years.

</div></div>

Wouldnt go that far...while they are used in this sport they most certainly do not dominate...High Standards did all the dominating ..
    and that was prior to Pardini/Benelli/Walther...
    Having said that the Smith 41 does have a real class to it and is more than capable of decent performance...

I got the 5.5 " model and will take it to the range today.
    Thaks for the note on the high velocity ammo will be shooting Wolf mt
    Bill

All I can say is don't ever shoot a Hammerli 208S or you'll throw rocks at your 41. Yes I have both. No they are not in the same league.

That said, the 41 is a fine $500 pistol. Too bad they cost double that now.

I absolutely love my 41. Topped it with a Bushnell red dot. It is tree rats worst nightmare!

Bill,
    We were issued those when I was on the Military shooting team for indoor matches. Great pistols. We never had any problems.
    Dave

Maybe not the best target rimfire pistol out there but a really good one. Most folks that own them either won't sell them or wish they had their's back if they did sell it. As was said before they can be a little pick y about the ammo. The wife's had FTF & FTE with many brands of ammo. Went to CCI Standard velocity and it runs like a dream. I have not spoken with anybody at S&W but it was told to me that the numeral on the bbl. zero being the best is an accuracy rating from the factory. Enjoy your pistol.

We shot the issued ammo, that we were given. Mainly, it was Ely Match, or Win. for practice. I do remember it was all the Standard Vel. stuff. We also cleaned our guns like maniacs as the armorers taught (which I later became!).

djd

I go through CCI SV by the case in mine with zero FTF issues,excellent accuracy. I keep it cleaned/lubed with Eezox. Just drop down the trigger guard and the barrel is ready to change out or clean. Mags (12 rounders even) are $25. I've never needed any spares, but they are cheap and available. I've only heard of one cracked frame on one a shooter bought used, and S&W replaced the frame. Even at $1000 it is an AMERICAN MADE super value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a piece of history my friend. The model 41s have been dominating Bullseye competitions for the better part of forty years.

</div></div>

Wouldnt go that far...while they are used in this sport they most certainly do not dominate...High Standards did all the dominating ..
    and that was prior to Pardini/Benelli/Walther...
    Having said that the Smith 41 does have a real class to it and is more than capable of decent performance... </div></div>

The High Standard pistols had alot of models that were superior in features and accuracy. I had about 10 of them over the years. All shot very tight groups.

S&W 22 handguns are filled with pride in ownership. The older 41's with the cocking indicator located at the rear seem to be more sought after. Better blueing on the older one's. I had one and got rid of it. I too regret that but now own a HighStandard Millitary HD that shoots as well. I also own S&W 34 4" Nickle and S&W 17 8 3/8 . When it comes to 22 handguns I like the revolvers. Something about the 22lr magazines just chaps my butt. Maybe I can find a nice bolt 22 lr to trade the HS for in the future. I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment from the 41. Just make sure it is out of your system before you sell it.
    Good luck.
    George of the Jungle

Nice guns. I found a spare barrel, cut it back, threaded it, moved the front sight and fitted a weaver base. It now has a mini red dot sight.

S_W_M41_with_can.jpg

I shot bullseye for a lot of years with a #41 long barrel. In my opinion the only thing that I ever tried that would knock it out of the hunt was a Browning Medalist. But those are very few and far between. And if anything breaks the spare parts probably cost a not too small fortune. Mine has a 1X Leupold on it. It was one of the first scopes made just for a pistol. I think I got it either in 1980 or 81.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can say is don't ever shoot a Hammerli 208S or you'll throw rocks at your 41. Yes I have both. No they are not in the same league.

That said, the 41 is a fine $500 pistol. Too bad they cost double that now. </div></div>

these are synthetic frame model that was prone to cracking or reportedly so ???
    Bill

I think mine cost right at $100.00, which was a lot of money for my father to spend on a Xmas present for my grandfather in 1964. I'll have to check the sales receipt, which he just happened to keep in the original box. It shoots great, but I tend to baby it. Hopefully, my grandson will be telling the third part to the story in 45 more years.

2a0ni1c.jpg