• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Smith and wesson M&P any known issues

DAFAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Bremerton Washington
Guys I am considering a shift from the xd to the M&P series and I was wondering if any of you guys knew of any quality issues. I plan on shooting and carrying this alot. I will admit I have not decided between the nine and the 45 yet. I really like the external safety on the 45

Re: amith and wesson M&P any known issues

I just traded a M&P9c with thumb safety.. it was a great gun. that I already regret trading but I needed a hunting rifle. The few times I shot it, it was very accurate. and the trigger pull is just like any DAO striker fired pistol.

Couple of weeks ago saw one lock up tighter than a 60 year old spinster. Owner took it back to the shop he purchased from and they were able to get the live round out. It's at S&W for repairs.

Just picked up a used M&P 9mm tp try out. Feels great in the hand but haven't shot it yet. To me, it feels better than a Glock or a XD.

I like the ergonomics if the M&P pistols and they seem to be reliable. My only complaint is with the trigger. I have fired four different pistols in .40 & .45 and the triggers were inconsistent in all of them. One pull would be very nice, the next gritty as hell. Don't know if that's how all of them are or if I just shot four crummy ones. Honestly I don't think it would prevent me from buying one if I decided I needed another pistol as it is likely something that would smooth out with use.

I have a full size M&P 9mm and a compact M&P .40 cal. I like them both. The .40 is an outstanding shooter, it seems to work well with 165 and 180 grain, flat nose and hollow points. I have only shot 115gr. FMJ in the 9mm. and it has worked well. No problems or issues with either one. I am now thinking about the .45 cal. myself.

I just bought an M&P9Pro about 2 months ago. LOVE IT.
Trigger is "tuned" from the factory and is really nice, 5" barrel, fiber optic front.
Using it for USPSA, have almost 1k rounds through it without an issue.

I think you can get the standard Nine's with a thumb safety now.

I have one and I like it a lot. I have a 9mm fullsize. 100 percent reliable with over 10000rds. the olny issue I have had is when you do a mag change the slide goes forward most of the time.... not a big deal for me as it has always put a round in the chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: levi333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought an M&P9Pro about 2 months ago. LOVE IT.
Trigger is "tuned" from the factory and is really nice, 5" barrel, fiber optic front.
Using it for USPSA, have almost 1k rounds through it without an issue.

I think you can get the standard Nine's with a thumb safety now. </div></div>

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have the Pro and I LOVE it!

If you do not like the stock trigger in your M&P send it to Dan Burwell (Burwell Gunsmithing) out of PA, he did the trigger on my M&P 45, very smooth and light, excellent job, good guy to deal with.He works on the M&P's quite a bit, you won't be disappointed!

I've heard good things about Burwell as well. I will say that my stock M&P Professional trigger is lighter than my Glock with 3.5 lb connector, and rivals my 1911s for weight, but not length of pull.

My small sample of USPSA matches suggests that I actually shoot my M&P better than my 1911...even though I shoot my 1911s WAY more.

I have range time on the XD and M&P, both in 9mm. I prefer the M&P across the board. Though I have to friends who shoot the M&P 9mm on a weekly basis (they are full time instructors). The M&P is breaking firing pin blocks every 4-5k rounds. Knowing that these guys still love the M&P and just pay more attention to replacing parts at a certain round count.

I love the 45 if I have the ability to carry extra ammo. Though when I carry concealed that extra mag is a pain especially in summer attire. I try to carry an extra mag but when I don't I like knowing that my 9mm has so many extra rounds vs the 45. Additionally the 9mm is much more user friendly.

If you're considering the .45 over the 9mm based on thumb safety alone, please realize they make the 9mm with a thumb safety as well. They just aren't quite as abundant.

Both my wife and I have the 40c as our carry guns and we love them. The only reliability issue that I've experienced personally was that the slide (on my wife's) would lock open with one left in the mag. Contact S&W, send it back, and they'll fix it for you in (usually) less than a month. I love mine and would recommend one to anybody.

I have the 9mm Compact for my concealed carry gun and I like it. No issues so far.... It's accurate, very comfy, and while I'm not nuts over the trigger it's a comprimise I can live with.

I don't see how the trigger on an M&P is a compromise. It's way better than a Glock.

Well, I guess I should have prefaced the point prior to making it. My last carry pistol was a 1911 compact with a competition trigger. So relative to my last carry sidearm, the trigger is a compromise. Not as smooth or crisp, and no safety. However, that would be the limit of the compromise for me. The size and weight difference is a considerable bonus. That’s why I chose the 9mm compact M&P.

I have a 9mm pro, standard, and compact. Had David Bowie work on triggers on the bigger ones. I had a firing pin break at around 400 rounds on the standard. Called S&W and they sent me two immediately. I have a couple of XD's as well and my nod goes to the M&P. I have smallish hands so I find the grip better.

I've seen alot of M&P's sold, but same as the XD or glock. I haven't seen any with any issues so far(work at a local gun shop) but with anything, I'm sure they have their share of problems. They don't feel as well in my hand as the glock does, so that's what I've stuck with.