• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smith enterprises M1a

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Anyone do business or have exprience with Smith Enterprises on an M1A? Are recievers avaiable?

Re: Smith enterprises M1a

SEI's new M14 receiver is not available yet.

They have built one rifle for me on a Springfield M1A receiver and 5 M14s on Chinese receivers.

SEI's work and customer service is outstanding.

They had a forged receiver available at one time, are they going to bring it back out???

There is no such thing as an SEI M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HM Spike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They had a forged receiver available at one time, are they going to bring it back out??? </div></div>

From SEI's home page:

In progress: the SEI M14 Barstock Receiver:

receiver10.jpg

I think they are, but do not know when. Like many in that business, they are busy with mil contracts. Do not know what recievers are being used on those, but I do not think SI are. Likely using old M14 receivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they are, but do not know when. Like many in that business, they are busy with mil contracts. Do not know what recievers are being used on those, but I do not think SI are. Likely using old M14 receivers. </div></div>

M14 receivers have never been released to the public since there not aloud to be de-milled.

SEI was/is planning on making them once again...at least that was last years SHOT rumor.

As for the M14 thing...its just a matter of verbage. True military M14's were never demilled or otherwise released to the general public but then again how many other select fire US rifles were? Springfield Armory owns the name M1A so anything but an SA would be an M14. SEI, Fulton, LRB etc all call their rifles M14's cuz they cant call em M1A's

As for SEI using military M14 receivers they in fact did and still do. The rifles are sent to SEI for conversion to Crazy Horse configuration on a DD Form 1149 just like sending in a vehicle to get repaired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dangerousdan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard that the oringnal SEI forged receivers are going for as much as $2000.00 </div></div>

I have read that these new receivers are supposed to sell for around $950.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Springfield Armory owns the name M1A so anything but an SA would be an M14. SEI, Fulton, LRB etc all call their rifles M14's cuz they cant call em M1A's </div></div>

Yes, and I don't think they would want to call them M1As if they could
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for SEI using military M14 receivers they in fact did and still do. The rifles are sent to SEI for conversion to Crazy Horse configuration on a DD Form 1149 just like sending in a vehicle to get repaired.</div></div>

Yep, the Crazy Horse conversion is highly coveted and a particular ARMY unit is having 500 M14s converted into the first ever, 16" M14s.

i purchased a crazyhorse from sei probably 2 years. though the rifle shot well (not better than 1 moa), and finish was great, the customer service was not so good. I was given a finish date multiple times and it would pass and when i would call and ask,all i would get was attitude.

i understand custom work takes time and have other custom rifles built and those guys would not give a date, so i would wait and not expect anything, but he was just rude several times.

then when i got the rifle a couple of specs i requested were not done and when i called again attitude for the first five min. then when he realized it was there mistake offered a return and to make things right.

the rifle was nice but i think you could do as good for less money with lrb receiver and other custom builder.

What is lrb?
    About the M14 receiver comment I made, I was refering to the gov. contracts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is lrb?
    About the M14 receiver comment I made, I was refering to the gov. contracts. </div></div>

LRB sells forged semi-auto receivers and complete rifles built
    on their receivers. They also sell parts including SEI parts.

H20MAN,
    Thank you, I took your advice, checked out LRB and think they are about the best M14 I have seen. Del time on a receiver is 12-18 mos, but I found a top end custom build on GB. It is the M25 lugged rec and has all the best parts. New condition and got it for about 70% of the parts cost. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H20MAN,
    Thank you, I took your advice, checked out LRB and think they are about the best M14 I have seen. Del time on a receiver is 12-18 mos, but I found a top end custom build on GB. It is the M25 lugged rec and has all the best parts. New condition and got it for about 70% of the parts cost. Thank you. </div></div>

Sweet!

my two SEI EBR builds shoot really nice. The more I get familiar with them the better my groups are getting. Damn things will eat anything you put in them. The platform is one of the hardest to shoot for groups I have, but its also the coolest!! Just have to have very consistent form. Andy at SEI put together 2 very fine rifles for me, fit and finish were excellent. Customer service was great and I found them a pleasure to do business with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: userids</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any news on these? </div></div>

Should be soon I heard. They just made some for testing and after that it's onto production.

They make quality gear. I sent off my rifle to them and couldn't be happier with the modifications. The Max-Pak trigger upgrade is also worth every single penny. Just as nice as my Whitefeather trigger group and costs $200 less.

I have stopped by when in town for shows and have purchased comps for M14s and flash suppressors for Rem 700s. Very nice to deal with and top quality gear.