• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Smith for a 700 bolt

astro3006

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2008
mississippi
Hello I need a smith with a good turn around time to install a m16 extractor and a Bager bolt knob on a Rem. 700 sa. Also since I'm switching from a 308 to a 6x47 do I need a different firing pin?

Re: Smith for a 700 bolt

Last time I checked with Nate he had stopped putting on Bolt knobs. I guess he had gotten so backed up, and I'm sure that's not a big money maker. He does do really nice work though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try AZ Precision
a member here, excellent work.
</div></div>

Is he doing extractor installs and bushing firing pins? I thought he was only doing bolt knobs??

Dave

I could go this route but I don't know what I need or what's involved with doing this. PTG has them, but the bolts with handles are about a 2 month wait. They have just the bolt, but I don't know what all I would need to do this job.

+1 for david. By the time you pay for labor and parts you could have a new bolt.

I can fit a knob for you if you like. I make most of mine in house.

One piece bolts from ptg run just under 2 bits.

Midway has what your after I think

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=389721
389721.jpg

Depending on your bolt you can get $100-$150 for a SA remy one which will put you into this one for about what the knob and extractor cut cost.

I've not used a ptg 1 piece yet so I can't honestly answer that.

Timing can mean different things to different people.

To me its the moment the sear contacts the cocking piece in relation to where the lugs are in clock position. A "timed" bolt/fire control to me means one that does not "climb the ramps" as it goes into battery. A bolt set up this way offers very fluid bolt manipulation. Nesika and a number of other makers set their fire controls this way. "Cock on open only" is how its described.

I make a fire control setup for the 700 that converts the action to this. Enclosed shroud, high energy spring, and adjustable striker.

It can also mean where the root of the cocking ramp ends up when in battery. In this case the root should sit dead center 6 o clock. This will mitigate bolt handle bounce when the sear drops. I have to think David has this licked as its pretty self explanatory. One thing that's always annoyed me on rem 700s is the lack of attention on the primary extraction. If a bolt gun is to run well it must yank the case out. This would be my primary feature of interest on a one piece bolt.

Hope this helped

C.

Sorry, I completely understand what you are saying and there are a lot of different aspects to timing on a bolt. I understand the striker and ramp relationship. The thing I was concerned about and what generated my question was dealing with timing the bolt's extraction cam angle with that of the receiver. I am wondering with the wide tolerances of Rem actions, including your new trued versions that remove .005" from the action lugs, how one can produce a 1-piece bolt that will be consistently adequate in the primary extraction aspect.

Thanks

I'm guessing, PTG would have to leave extra material on the back of the lugs so they could be fit properly!

Thanks for all your answers. Poke I could have sworn I looked through all the Midway PTG bolts, and didn't see that one. I got one on the way now thanks for posting the direct link.

I am suprised that no one has mentioned that the Rem extractor is better than the M16 extractor. Layne Simpson had an article in them a few years ago and it is exactly my expirence. The only extractors I have not had fail are Mauser 98 and Rem 700. Sako, Win 70, M16 have all failed for me. And I have shot more ammo out of the 98's and 700's. JMO