• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Smith for work on a dept rifle?

gunnut284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Orlando, FL
I have a issued Rem 700P that I would like to have cut back to 20"-22" and have a larger bolt knob installed. My dept is quite liability sensative and is concerned who would perform the work. Is there a smith who would be recommended for this type of work? It would need to be someone who has performed work on LEO rifles in the past and who will take a small job like this. I'm going to have to "sell" this mod to my superiors who are not familiar with the precision shooting world (I'm still learning too).

Re: Smith for work on a dept rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP, KMW, Randy, PAI have all built guns for LE. </div></div>

For a departmental issue I would go to a professional firm. Call and get responses by return mail on a company letterhead. Scheduling will be the hardest part. But the work is in one day and out the next. At least as long as you don't have a custom finish sprayed on it.

I agree with Victor N TN on good builders for cutting your barrel.

They'd do an amazing job on your bolt as well. But if given the opportunity, I'll do it for free. I would do a custom design of your choosing, plus include my standard Varminter knob. Take a look in the gunsithing forum at the "bolt knob pics" thread.

PM or call me anytime if interested.

Keith Johns
AZ Precision

Thanks for the replies. Does Remington's Custom Shop do that type of work? When mentioned they wanted to send it back to the factory for that work.

I will throw out Tac-Ops, they do a lot of LE work, just another option not trying to start smith vs smith battle