• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smith reccomendation.

XP1K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2017
Texas
Need some help. I've got a 300 winmag I had built by a local smith and good friend that I'm having issues with. It doesn't seem to care for any factory ammo I've tried and I've tried a lot. So far it's favorite ammo was factory 150gr core-lokt that had an es of something like 150fps. Shot that about ¾" go figure.
Feed it any quality ammo and it's about a 1½ moa gun.

A little background on the rifle.
It started out as a model 700 bdl in 300 winmag. I purchased it from my friend who then pulled it apart, trued the action and rebarreled it with an older shilen 8 land, #7 contour barrel with a 1:10 twist that he'd had for some time but never used. As stated above it just never shot factory ammo well.
Chamber was cut with a saami spec reamer to the best of my knowledge.

After about 150 rounds of load development I found a load with a 180 nosler ballistic tip it liked but it only liked it at around 3300 fps. That was on the ragged edge of what the action could stand. Cases were good for about one firing. Next closest node was around 2800 fps. Which I cared nothing for.

I primarily wanted to shoot heavier bullets and I had my heart set at the time on shooting the 208 amax. I had a good load with an SD less than 5 that ran right at 2900 with 71.0gr of imr 4831 and a 215m but you could only shoot it if it was less than 75 degrees outside.

So by this time I'm thinking I want to try another barrel but my friend has retired from the rifle building business. His brother however built rifles as well and has built some good ones. He was well known and highly regarded over on LRH. He'd built a few rifles for members over there and no one had anything bad to say about them.

So I contacted the guy and we ordered a 1:9 lilja mk13 mod7 contour and he chambered it with the same reamer that had been used on the first barrel. Got the same results also. Hates factory ammo and is extremely pressure sensitive when loading heavier bullets.

My last attempt was 78.0gr of magpro under a 215 berger hybrid. Book says that's 4.0gr under max and speed was just over 2800 iirc. Pretty much locked it up when I pulled the trigger. Extremely difficult bolt lift and I had to tap the bolt back to extract the fired case.

Was it a fluke ? I don't know let's try another one. Nope, wasn't a fluke. Think I've got a pic of the cases. I'll attach them if I do.

I've used H1000, imr and h4831, h4831sc and imr 7828. And reloader 22 I think. Can't remember for sure on that one. It's been off and on for about eight years with this gun.

So who can can I talk to about setting it back and rechambering for running the longer bullets?
I've never had any custom work done outside of the two gentlemen mentioned here.
20220715_071442.jpg
20220715_071401.jpg

Pray tell, if only in a PM, whom the riflesmith is?

Lots of possibilities, but my 2 cents; reamer isn't SAAMI spec.

As Dave mentioned LRI; but there is a whole host of whose-who when building known quality rifles.

Contact @FisherT&C on this board. He's fast and cut one-holer for me.

Suggest a re-ream with 300WM Match chamber BTW

Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations everyone has given thus far. I'm going to get on the horn tomorrow and talk to a few of them and see what they say.

LRI, GAP RWS. Spartan, Altus Mile High, Raven, TBA. Can’t go wrong with any of them.

Except TMA. He’s hack so steer clear

So I've contacted several of the aforementioned smith's and some never got back to me, some are booked way longer than I'd like to wait and one is on vacation til the 19th.

As of now it's down black canyon customs and alamo precision. Waiting on word from west texas ordnance also at the moment. They're closed til Tuesday. Well I guess it is Tuesday now so they'll be open in another four hours. Working nights has got me all jacked up.

In the meantime I'd like some of your opinions on bottom metal. Looking at the accurate mag dbm and they offer three different mag lengths.
3.715" 3.775" and 3.850"

My dummy round with a 215 berger seated at the neck/shoulder junction measured around 3.713.

What mag length should I go with, should I go longer to allow some room to chase the lands over time or just go the minimum length needed ?

As a general rule of thumb I like to load .010" under mag length.

Can’t go wrong with Fritz, or you might try Buddy’s Armory in Cheyenne. https://buddysarmory.com/

Smaller shops, both, but good dudes who won’t let you go unhappy.

I don’t know anything about the bottom middle length other than to say that if you’re trying to go long and heavy it seems foolish to limit yourself by mag length if you have a choice not to.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
3.85" in case you choose a longer projectile or want to try mono's. I've had no issue feeding shorter rounds in the long mags.

Reactions: XP1K
Might as well rebarrel it as 300prc...no reason to be stuck with belt and shitty norma brass.
I seriously thought about it. I'm so heavily invested in 300winmag already though it wouldn't make sense to switch. I've probably got 400 pieces of brass.

Rifle is at black canyon customs right now.

Reactions: Vandoogle13