• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Smith & Wesson 1911 TA E-Series ????

Zebra644

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Ohio
OK I held one in my hands and really like the way it feels. I know that there is a debate between internal / external extractor and I am not wanting to get into a debate over that as they both have benefits. The only 1911 I have now is S/A Champion Operator that is a off duty carry gun so I want a nice full size to have and before the prices keep going up. So any first hand opinons about the S&W any owners out there or anyone who has owned one? I have been doing some reading and the only thing I have came across is about after 1,300 rnds. I might start getting some brass in the forehead, and that was on the older model E series. I also had read that the pin that holds the extractor in place needed to be staked as after say 1,000 rnds. I am on a budget and had a negative experince with Kimber a few years ago so. I may also look into a S/A TRP.

Re: Smith & Wesson 1911 TA E-Series ????

Hey Zebra,

Having fired some rentals and some of customer's S&W 1911's, I have not been impressed. It's a shame too. A finicky observation of mine is I hate how "Warning, will fire without magazine" is plastered on the side of the frame!! Grrrr!!
mad.gif

On a functional note, I think the fit/finish of the trigger is loose and sloppy. The manual safety on any that I've held has been numb and far from a positive feeling safety. I feel if you leaned over (while carrying) the safety would move. As for accuracy, it's alright, but again, not impressed considering street price on them is typically $1100 on up.

I have always been pleased with Springers and they've served me well!! They have a great feel, they hold their own for accuracy, never had issues with the few I've owned.

I know others will chime in about STI, and they make a great gun as well.

I have a Sig 1911 that has performed flawlessly, so you may want to consider those.

As for the internal/external extractor - - - yeah, I'm a purist and like the internal as well if I can. That being said, my Sig has been working like a champ. Glock, Sig P-series, S&W M&P pistols, etc all have external extractors and they function well!!

Happy shopping!

-G45

Thank you for posting your experience. It gives me something to think about.

I haven't even handled one of these. I own a Colt and a Kimber. I plan on getting more Colts.