• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Smith & Wesson Model 686 Ammo?

Brazo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2018
Verona, NJ
Hello everyone,

My dad recently pulled our Smith & Wesson Model 686 6" barrel out of the safe. He bought it for my when I was probably 13. We haven't shot it all that much over the years but we plan on changing that soon.

Might anyone have a good recommendation for ammo that we can order? Happy to take recommendations for both 357 magnum and 38 special.

Hoping to shoot some paper and then destruct cans and such. Should be a lot of fun with dad.

Thank you!

Ammo is in short supply at the moment, so you may have less options.
But, generally speaking 38spl loads with Swc bullets would be a good place to start for accuracy and 38 or 357 hp loads (depending on your budget and recoil tolerance ) for cans, apples, varmints, etc

I am assuming that y’all don’t reload? If not, just try to find some very affordable 38 spl ammo for the plinking. Save the expensive stuff for home defense. I bought a 686 back in 1987, and it has always shot great, but I reload for it.

We reload for our rifles but never for a pistol. Wouldn't even know where to start to be honest. My thought process was that it would never be a real high volume shooter the way we use it and probably not worth gearing up for.

Also what is considered good accuracy? Is the typical range these are shot at 25 yards or 50 yards perhaps?

We reload for our rifles but never for a pistol. Wouldn't even know where to start to be honest. My thought process was that it would never be a real high volume shooter the way we use it and probably not worth gearing up for.

1. If you know how to reload rifle cartridges, you know how to reload handgun cartridges.

2. Reloading straight wall handgun cartridges (either rimmed like 38 Special or rimless like 9x19 is even easier than reloading bottleneck rifle cartridges. There's no shoulder to push back and there's hardly any case length growth so maintaining headspace is effortless. The only different step is belling (expanding) the case mouth to make seating flat-based handgun bullets easier.

3. Even if you're not going to be using bulk amounts of handgun ammo, it pays to be setup to reload and to stock up on a significant amount of components for one reason: availability. When panics dry up the shelves and many are sitting with nothing to shoot, you make as much as you want. Replenish components as soon as you can.

Always include a hundred or so premium hollow point bullets in your inventory so that you can make defensive ammo in case that becomes unavailable as well. Some people say never use reloads for self defense, and I don't if I can buy factory ammo for that purpose, but if I ever need some and can't buy it I will make it and I will carry it without hesitation.

4. If you have all the equipment for rifle reloading, including a scale, powder dropper, priming tool, and single stage press, a Hornady three die pistol set with is all you need to reload a handgun caliber. I always get the set with the sizer die coated internally with titanium nitride so that I don't even need to lubricate the cases for resizing.

1. If you know how to reload rifle cartridges, you know how to reload handgun cartridges.

2. Reloading straight wall handgun cartridges (either rimmed like 38 Special or rimless like 9x19 is even easier than reloading bottleneck rifle cartridges. There's no shoulder to push back and there's hardly any case length growth so maintaining headspace is effortless. The only different step is belling (expanding) the case mouth to make seating flat-based handgun bullets easier.

3. Even if you're not going to be using bulk amounts of handgun ammo, it pays to be setup to reload and to stock up on a significant amount of components for one reason: availability. When panics dry up the shelves and many are sitting with nothing to shoot, you make as much as you want. Replenish components as soon as you can.

Always include a hundred or so premium hollow point bullets in your inventory so that you can make defensive ammo in case that becomes unavailable as well. Some people say never use reloads for self defense, and I don't if I can buy factory ammo for that purpose, but if I ever need some and can't buy it I will make it and I will carry it without hesitation.

4. If you have all the equipment for rifle reloading, including a scale, powder dropper, priming tool, and single stage press, a Hornady three die pistol set with is all you need to reload a handgun caliber. I always get the set with the sizer die coated internally with titanium nitride so that I don't even need to lubricate the cases for resizing.

Thanks pirate, good advice and I appreciate it. Will do some more reading, you have given me a lot to think about.

Just checked around the big ammo houses and didnt see much in the way of bulk buys.

Your best bet for the time being I guess is just to get whatever is cheapest at your local supplier - I like the plain old Winchester white box stuff which will be plenty accurate for fun shooting.

If you really like your pistol shooting a progressive reloader is in your future.

Reloading .38 target ammo for me is relatively cheap, stupid easy and fast. With little effort you will have thousands of rounds made.

I reload for a semi automatic .38 special target pistol. Same rounds get used in my revolvers.

I use less than 3 grains of W231 or HP38 ball powder and a 148 grain hollow base wad cutter lead bullet. The powder flows through a Dillon really accurately and I can really move pretty quick loading pistol rounds.

Powder puff rounds that wont untime a revolver no matter how many you shoot and they are accurate.

I buy bullets at Precision Delta and brass is either range pick up when i find really clean stuff or factory I have purchased. The brass will last for ever.

But any way reloading is another expense that you will have to save for. For what you are planning just get some budget ammo - I was thinking there would be some 500 round ammo can specials but Im guessing the sniffles panic has everyone stocking up for their new bought bedside revolver.

Have a good time with your Dad!

Fathers Day is next month - Maybe he needs one of these in .38 special..

Have Mom and Sis chip in with you.

I love shooting .38. Just picked this up last week....

1589797829646.png

Now you are making me wish I had taken it with me to shoot after work.

hard to beat the 38 wad cutters for targets that nice clean hole and little to no recoil was fun then again 357 is not that bad good luck and have fun its a great gun ...

Keep an eye on the PX....the solution to your ammo supply questions can be answered at good savings.....

There is good advice above. Powder goes a long way when your are loading light loads. I run a Dillon 650, and have been very happy. Have had it about 17 years and have loaded countless rounds on it. I know the initial cost on a Dillon is high, but it will literally last forever, so the long term investment is a good one. There is also a fb page for used Dillon stuff. Might be able to find a used one at a good price.

pmclaine's suggestion of Precision Delta is applicable to remanufactured .38 special 148gr. HBWC. Delta has this stuff for about $220. a thousand. We've used it in Mod. 28, Mod. 27, Mod. 60, Mod. 66 and 4" - 6" Pythons. Accuracy is excellent. Reliability is perfect to date. Function is excellent but it is a little dirty. Customer service is excellent. One of my orders got pretty cocked up. The resolution was so greatly in my favor that I told the lady that the level of accommodation was not necessary. Nonetheless she proceeded with her solution.

Shipping is included in the pricing. In addition, at no extra cost, if you order by phone the ladies taking your orders have unforgettable southern drawls.

Last edited:
I usually shoot Speer lawman tmj in my wheel gun. Accurate for me and seems clean and consistent. Also pretty reasonably priced. Typical distance is 10-25yrds. It’s also a ton of fun to shoot reactive steel, especially a tree with a buddy. For that I use whatever frangible rounds I can find.

Just checked around the big ammo houses and didnt see much in the way of bulk buys.

Your best bet for the time being I guess is just to get whatever is cheapest at your local supplier - I like the plain old Winchester white box stuff which will be plenty accurate for fun shooting.

If you really like your pistol shooting a progressive reloader is in your future.

Reloading .38 target ammo for me is relatively cheap, stupid easy and fast. With little effort you will have thousands of rounds made.

I reload for a semi automatic .38 special target pistol. Same rounds get used in my revolvers.

I use less than 3 grains of W231 or HP38 ball powder and a 148 grain hollow base wad cutter lead bullet. The powder flows through a Dillon really accurately and I can really move pretty quick loading pistol rounds.

Powder puff rounds that wont untime a revolver no matter how many you shoot and they are accurate.

I buy bullets at Precision Delta and brass is either range pick up when i find really clean stuff or factory I have purchased. The brass will last for ever.

But any way reloading is another expense that you will have to save for. For what you are planning just get some budget ammo - I was thinking there would be some 500 round ammo can specials but Im guessing the sniffles panic has everyone stocking up for their new bought bedside revolver.

Have a good time with your Dad!

Fathers Day is next month - Maybe he needs one of these in .38 special..

Have Mom and Sis chip in with you.

I love shooting .38. Just picked this up last week....

View attachment 7329444

Now you are making me wish I had taken it with me to shoot after work.
Nice pickup, sharp looking! Also thank you for the feedback and suggestions!

Reactions: pmclaine
pmclaine's suggestion of Precision Delta is applicable to remanufactured .38 special 148gr. HBWC. Delta has this stuff for about $220. a thousand. We've used it in Mod. 28, Mod. 27, Mod. 60, Mod. 66 and 4" - 6" Pythons. Accuracy is excellent. Reliability is perfect to date. Function is excellent but it is a little dirty. Customer service is excellent. One of my orders got pretty cocked up. The resolution was so greatly in my favor that I told the lady that the level of accommodation was not necessary. Nonetheless she proceeded with her solution.

Shipping is included in the pricing. In addition, at no extra cost, if you order by phone the ladies taking your orders have unforgettable southern drawls.

Not a bad price at all, might pick up 250 count for 62 bucks to get me by and look into reloading for it. Thank you

What does manufactured exactly mean?

Reman ammo is the use of once fired cases as opposed to virgin brass. Virgin brass is generally the most costly component of "new" ammunition. In the case of 148gr. HBWC, the low pressures means brass life is extremely long. For years I reloaded HBWC for my .357s. Handguns are like ARs in their propensity to swallow ammo. Reloading on a single stage press is too tedious.

I don't know whether you and your dad have been shooting semi-auto handguns and ignoring wheelguns. If that's the case your 686 is going to put huge grins on your faces.

Forgot they sell reman ammo.

They would be my go to now that you bring it up.

So go with the hollow base 148's?

So go with the hollow base 148's?

HBWC are generally "target" or "match" ammo.

I bought a Smith and Wesson 52-2 a few years ago not ever realizing there were semi auto guns that fed .38 Special, especially blunt nose ones. See that little "chamfer" crimp at the top of the brass? Thats your "feed" edge in semi guns. Research the 52, its a neat gun.

Im willing to bet these are loaded with the 52-2 or the AMU .38 Special 1911 target pistols in mind.

They will be a very light load, they will be accurate, they cut perfect circles in paper leaving a clean hole to score. You could shoot them all day and not feel fatigue nor wear your gun.

The 158 SWC will be good shooters, probably a bit more gas if you desire to see the tin cans flip twice rather than just fall over. You will get less clean holes on a paper target.

I dont think you can go wrong with either based on your described shooting...get a small amount of each and see which shoots better in your pistol.

I mean if you ever hook up with twin sisters try em both out and see which you like better young man.

Last edited: