• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smith & Wesson Victory

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2013
    W TEXAS
    I have a S&W Victory that has MA Co Ridgefield on the underside of the barrel. What does this mean. It also has 44 in what looks like paint pen on the bottom of the grip, the paint is very old

you sure it is not NA which is Navy Arms, Ridgefiekd, NJ? They were reimporters of surplus weapons and brought in tons of Smiths, 1911’s, carbines, etc.

SA Ridgefiekd is also common. Sarco Arms, also in NJ.

import marks hurt the value of the guns, but not their ability to be great shooters.

For a fee, Roy Jinks can get you a history of where it shipped To begin with. A lot of them went to critical war efforts or military. If not US marked, may have gone to factory security, LE, foreign ally, and some were given as gifts to people who ‘rated.’

The under barrel stamping is almost certainly A 1990s import mark.

The red paint on the butt was also common on ‘rack’ guns. Used by foreign military and police. Even in US organizations, not uncommon for training or armory weapons to be color marked.

Hope this helps, cheers.

Sirhr

It very well could be NA it is not in the best condition, it was my stepdads that my mother found in a backpack. I don’t know what she is going to do with it but mechanically it is in good shape. I might talk her out of it just because

It very well could be NA it is not in the best condition, it was my stepdads that my mother found in a backpack. I don’t know what she is going to do with it but mechanically it is in good shape. I might talk her out of it just because
    You should definitely talk her out of it just because. They are great pieces of history and even a re-import probably has a story that if it could talk….

Please post a picture if you get a moment! Would love to see it. See article above.

Cheers Sirhr

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    Here are some pictures it looks good now compared to when I got it I still have some cleaning to do but mechanically it is great

Attachments

• FE5076B4-796D-47BA-B7DF-014B7B5EE4C7.jpeg
      FE5076B4-796D-47BA-B7DF-014B7B5EE4C7.jpeg
      496.1 KB · Views: 77
    • 809995DB-AFBE-4FE3-BB69-9E524C885E5F.jpeg
      809995DB-AFBE-4FE3-BB69-9E524C885E5F.jpeg
      359.5 KB · Views: 60
    • ED7C552C-8EF7-4002-A314-FAAE08358B12.jpeg
      ED7C552C-8EF7-4002-A314-FAAE08358B12.jpeg
      321.1 KB · Views: 65
    • 39EDA7E7-015B-48C6-A4F5-F6324E97D1F8.jpeg
      39EDA7E7-015B-48C6-A4F5-F6324E97D1F8.jpeg
      546.1 KB · Views: 65
    • Love
    Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    Here are some pictures it looks good now compared to when I got it I still have some cleaning to do but mechanically it is great
    Classic reimport... and lovely! The rack mark gets it returned to the right slot in an armory rack.

Cosmetically, been in third world countries! But what a great gun! If it could talk!

Congrats on getting a great new gun into the stable and shoot the heck out of it! You will enjoy it for a lifetime! BTW, probably a tackdriver once you get used to it. .38 Wadcutters and you will have a great target shooting gun!

Cheers,

Sirhr

This gun appears to be marked 38 S&W cartridge. You need to understand this is NOT the same as 38 Special. You may need to do a little more research on this gun before you fire it with 38 special ammo.

I have an old victory model that was re-barreled with a 2" bbl when it was imported. That barrel's bore is a bit smaller than the original 38 S&W bbl. The "new" bbl is for the normal .357 dia bullets used in modern 38 spcl and 357 mag. However, the cylinder chambers are larger in diameter (for the old 38 S&W chambering) and when I fire 38 spcl in it the cases swell quite a bit. No real adverse effects long as I shoot milder 38 spcl loads. I would not try any hot loads in mine.

YOURS appears to still have the original larger-dia-bore barrel for the old 38 S&W, which would have a bore dia of about .360". This may negatively affect accuracy with the smaller .357" bullets and the swollen cases with 38 spcl may be a bit disconcerting as well. Just a headsup on what you can expect.

You are correct in that it is 38 S&W, I should have been more specific in that I have 500 wadcutters I just need brass.

This gun appears to be marked 38 S&W cartridge. You need to understand this is NOT the same as 38 Special. You may need to do a little more research on this gun before you fire it with 38 special ammo.

I have an old victory model that was re-barreled with a 2" bbl when it was imported. That barrel's bore is a bit smaller than the original 38 S&W bbl. The "new" bbl is for the normal .357 dia bullets used in modern 38 spcl and 357 mag. However, the cylinder chambers are larger in diameter (for the old 38 S&W chambering) and when I fire 38 spcl in it the cases swell quite a bit. No real adverse effects long as I shoot milder 38 spcl loads. I would not try any hot loads in mine.

YOURS appears to still have the original larger-dia-bore barrel for the old 38 S&W, which would have a bore dia of about .360". This may negatively affect accuracy with the smaller .357" bullets and the swollen cases with 38 spcl may be a bit disconcerting as well. Just a headsup on what you can expect.
    Good catch!!!

Yes, you can't shoot .38 SPL. Though light target wadcutters would not likely hurt it... you probably won't get the cartridges in. Which prevents high power .38 SPL rounds from being used. +p's and the like. The .38 SW case is, I think, .100" shorter than the .38 Spl. Which is .100 shorter than the .357 Mag. Which is .100" shorter than .357 Maximum.

Fortunately, .38 SW cartridges are widely availalbe and reloadable on .38 dies if the crimper will reach.

For hollow based wad cutters, I would not think .003”‘of undersized would be a problem. But for solid based bullets, mtrman is likely correct that accuracy would suffer.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. I have a Webley in .38 SW. and bought that star line brass. I shoot lead swc’s out of it and it is a sweet little revolver. Just a delight to shoot.

Last edited:
    thanks for sharing now there is another revolver I got myself sucked into looking at that I now want lol , Addiction is bad well at least the stores around me are still closed and I have no choice but to wait to really look at one . It is a nice looking gun .

I forgot to add that in addition to the smaller bore bbl, the cylinders were bored out to accept the longer 38 spcl cases. But it is still oversize in diameter for the older 38 sw cartridges, hence the swelling of the 38 spcl cases when fired. Other than the swelling, there doesn't seem to be any other adverse effects. I wish it was still in original condition but I'll take what I can get.

Missouri Bullet Co has .361" dia bullets

Midway has brass

Brownells has dies

Maybe N.A. Is Navy Arms was he reimporting to Florida?

That looks like a well used Victory. Perhaps an Asia/ Far East loaner. Looks to have been refinished with stove black paint.

Maybe N.A. Is Navy Arms was he reimporting to Florida?

That looks like a well used Victory. Perhaps an Asia/ Far East loaner. Looks to have been refinished with stove black paint.
    That is not paint it is a metric shit ton of grime, I had used about a half a bottle of Hoppes #9 just to get it to where it is now. I have seen some dirty firearms before but this one takes the cake.

thanks for sharing now there is another revolver I got myself sucked into looking at that I now want lol , Addiction is bad well at least the stores around me are still closed and I have no choice but to wait to really look at one . It is a nice looking gun .
    The victory and the Colt Police Positive have always had some of the prettiest lines of any revolver.

Also the Smith M-frame. The original Ladysmith. I love mine. It’s like a little miniature 29! And, no, M-frame is not a typo.

sirhr

Reactions: acudaowner
    My Colt Police Positive, .38 Spcl.

1587590116498.png

Just feels "elegant" in your hand. One of these days Ill have to get a cross draw flap holster for it. The bluing is translucent, Ben Kenobi describes it best.....

The Police Positive is the light saber of pistols.

Carried this all day...

1587590376137.png

My son and I were supposed to be camping for the rest of the week in western MA. Its 43 in Boston now with snow flurries moving through.

In western MA it was 32 with winds over 17 miles per hour and frequent white out snow squalls.

We tried.....

422208.jpg

Had the Ranger packed but we ran in to the clash of seasons. Freezing temperatures and snow with rivers of water flowing on the trails we need to use to get to our desired campsite. Just wasnt meant to be unless we wanted to destroy the trails and besides there were at least four trees that had to be butchered laying across our route of travel.

It was so cold my driving crazy son was done driving the Ranger after about 15 minutes.

Sucks.

Another vintage Smith.....

1587590660914.png