• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report SMK bullets for hunting

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
Has anyone had experience with Sierra MatchKing bullets for hunting varmints. I have a 22-250 that I shoot 80 grain SMK's with. I would like to be able to shoot only one bullet with this gun. Is this 80 grain bullet capable to taking say coyotes and smaller? Thanks for the advice!!

SMK bullets for hunting

Has anyone had experience with Sierra MatchKing bullets for hunting varmints. I have a 22-250 that I shoot 80 grain SMK's with. I would like to be able to shoot only one bullet with this gun. Is this 80 grain bullet capable to taking say coyotes and smaller? Thanks for the advice!!

Re: SMK bullets for hunting

I've killed prairie dogs w/ a 52grn SMK out of a .22-250. I don't think I'd shoot a coyote w/ one though. They didn't do as good of a job on p-dogs as the v-max, ballistic silvertip, or varminator/varmint grenade. I'd stick to prairie dogs and paper w/ the SMKs.

yes, shot placement would be critical. hell, you could shoot deer with them. head shots only. right in the ear or just behind and below it if they are broad side. if facing between the eyes or directly beneath the chin. but please. dont shoot one in the lower jaw.

I took a nice buck with a 69 gn SMK in .223 and was very impressed with the results. This was out of a 14" ar 15. The deer went down hard and never got back up, it was an instant and humane kill.

Sorry about the double post, my computer froze and I had to start all over. I couldn't find the original post. Oh well sorry.

Would the 80 grain SMK be different because of the weight than the 52 grain SMK for shooting coyotes?

Couldn't tell ya man, but I'd say that bullet construction may trump weight in that situation. I shot a 200grn SMK @ 2900fps into a 3/8" AR400 plate from 15' and it just barely scratched it.

Thats very true. I shoot 150 grain gamekings in my 270 wsm but I have a savage model 12 that i would really like to shoot one bullet, one load to keep things simple.

try the hornady 75 gr. A-max. it may replace the SMK for general use.

Not really designed for it. Search the SH hunting section - there are lots of threads on it.

+1 on the A-max or similar

One thing to keep in mind is the jacket for the 80gr SMK may be a bit tougher than that for a 52gr SMK - one is designed to be shot down a 1-12" twist, albeit at high speeds, and the other has to hang together while being punted out 1-7" twist barrels. If someone loses a 52gr pill enroute to a prairie dog, they may never know it (likely written off to shooter error unless someone is watching for them). If an 80gr bullet doesn't make it to a target in competition, people scream, jump up and down and generally foam at the mouth
wink.gif

At the higher velocities of a .22-250 (assuming you have a faster twist than the normal 1-12 or 1-14?), an 80 *should* perform, but then again, a 'yote is a pretty thin-skinned (albeit tough SOB) target in the overall scheme of things. I might try something like a 75gr A-Max... the polymer tip at least would make me feel a little more confident about it expanding consistently on impact.

The little 45gr bullets that most shoot from a 22-250 would do the job well to 300yds , the use of 80grs has extended your range considerably.
and wont be affected by the wind as much as the lighter bullets.

Just look at the bottom of Sierra's loading pages for the MK's.

Quote - Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications. - Unquote

Will they work? Probably but not in every situation. AFAIC one failure is one too much.

The question is "Is it ethical?" I think not but that's up to your conscience.

I've killed a lot of stuff with the 175SMK..... It hasn't made me go look for a different bullet yet.

There is only one level of dead.

Here in PA, we like to run the 52/53 SMK in 22-250 for whitetail. Neck shots anchor them like a big magnum- really something to see. They don't go far with body shots either with the little gun.

I am in Washington State and we have to use a bigger caliber for deer hunting. Bigger than or equal to 24 caliber. This 22-250 I have has a fast twist barrel ( 1-8") and shoots 80 grain SMK's into 3 inch groups at 600 yards all day long. At least for another 1200 rds or so. I guess I could reload some different bullets and loads, but the trouble is I would have to go back out and chrono everything, try different powders different everything to get the accuracy I want at long range with this relatively light bullet. I think I am going to stay with the 80 SMK bullets and make sure I dont miss.

Keep in mind that varmint bullets are also designed to have less chance of to ricochets. Their jacket is thin and their lead is soft. This generally makes them explode when they hit the dirt (even at an angle). FMJs and match HPs are more likely to skip off the ground if you aren't firing them into some kind of backstop. Might want to consider that depending on where you're hunting varmints.

I am doing load development with 250 SMK's and 300 Scenar's in my 338 lapua. I have debated whether or not to stick with these loads and go hunting.

My only question is about the bullet holding together. A .338 hole is plenty big enough so expansion doesnt seem necessary. Provided it hits with sufficient energy it seems it would be lethal, as long as it does not break apart.

The bullet should still be traveling about 1500 fps at 1,000 yds and that seems to be enough energy for a clean kill to me.

I am thinking about doing out this fall for elk with it. If I do i will post the results. I would like to hear from anybody who has used SMK's on deer sized and up game.

I have been using the 168 SMK for several years now on deer and have had zero complaints with performance.

You should use your favorite bullet in your favorite gun in which you're confident of accuracy and your ability to place a shot where you intend. Within reasonable distance the bullet's shock affect on organs hemorrhages vessels over a wide area around the wound channel causing instant drop in blood pressure. Being in the vital zone, the lungs suffer greatly and the animal goes ever so clumsily not very far if anywhere. I talked to the spirit of an antelope once and this is what it said to me. Actually, a trauma surgeon too willing shared his experience in ER which was no one survived a high powered rifle wound in the torso. That's what he said. I'm just sayn'.

Hit the shoulder, fragmenting the bone and hopefully the bullet. Shards of bullet and bone will project and destroy tissue in the area. Dead right there or close by. And if you can't stand smk's, load Berger Vld Hunting bullets of similar weight. They destroy well.

Shoot what you like and shoot well. I have a friend who cannot hit a barn that covers the horizon because of his fear of recoil. Flinching. Trigger control? I talk about it but he can't hear me.

I have used Amax to take deer and pigs with zero issues. Might have second thoughts about using match bullets on elk or larger game but I know for a fact they work well on deer and pig.

My pet load involves 175 SMK in my 308 WIN. I would love to be able to use them to hunt but I keep seeing such mixed reviews of their performance on game. I think I'll try them on some hogs first just to see how they do.

I use hornady 52 bthp match for coyotes out of my 220 swift regularly. It puts them down right there. I also shot a deer with it this past year. I put it in the neck and it was DRT. I wouldn't use it for anything bigger but coyotes and small Texas deer and I'll use it without a problem.

If mil issued 62gr FMJ will take down a cow at 300yds I think the 80gr SMK will do fine for coyotes. Again shot placement might be more critical. I know that if you gut shoot it it'll probably zip right through. Seen a bunch of wild dogs take those and survive.