• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes smoke poles n rifle scopes

460mag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Longview, Tx
This may have been beaten to death a brazillion times, but I gotta ask:
What is so dynamically different between a modern day in-line muzzle loader and a regular center fire rifle that a normal, run of the mill rifle scope will come apart on a smoke pole?

Re: smoke poles n rifle scopes

Marketing ploy to get you to spend money?Possibly the recoil impulse is different but nothing that any quality scope can't handle.

For the record, I dont even own a smoke-pole. My hunting partner just got one, early christmas gift from his missus.He called saying he just left a local gun shop, where the owner said he wouldnt mount a Nikon on his gun for him, but for a hundred dollars more he could put him on a " For Black Powder" scope.
My bs meter hit the red, but I wanted to get some others thoughts, facts or experiences.
Air gun? Crossbow? Yes I can grasp a difference, but a smoke-pole?

Back about 7 years ago, I had two $250 nikons and a simmons aetec break from 150gr ML use, never had issues with higher end leupolds (incld mk4's). First nikon the reticle broke, second one the reticle came loose side to side, aetec had a cracked reticle also. Currently running a cheap, glass etched sightmark on my smokeless ML that I've ran some insanely harsh loads through and it suprisingly hasn't missed a beat, does great in lowlight, tracks fine. Forgot about another aetec, that broke it's reticle on my other smokeless ML a couple months back. The 3 scopes that had reticles break, it was the horizontal thinner portion that broke.

I was only aware of the difference in parallax settings.

ML=50 yds
centerfire=100 yds.

My buddies run the cheapest scopes made on their MLs without an issue. I just use irons so I can't help with those experiences.