• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Smoking a whole hog recipes

Scotty22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Katy, Texas USA
Alright guys I was browsing google looking for recipes for a good pork rub and a good brine for wild pork.

I have 2 small pigs that I'm looking to throw on the smoker on Sunday. They are about 20lbs each with no skin. I am looking for some ideas of how to brine them and what kinda dry or wet rub to use.

Also should I wrap the pigs in banana leaves or tinfoil seeing as they are very small and have no skin on them.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I like Cajun seasoning and brown sugar for a simple rub. Even slow smoking if it's a lean wild pig you may want to wrap them with some fruit or some liquid or cover with bacon, for the first few hours of cooking so it doesn't come out to dry. If u don't wrap it just check it every hour and pour some beer on it so it don't dry out. Imo

I've never done any that size but I'd do it like any pork, low and slow. If you want to brine it I'd use apple juice with some brown sugar, EVOO, kosher salt, maple syrup and garlic powder. It helps to inject it with this before you brine. I'd spatchcock it like a chicken and cook it with the back up away from the heat at 225 til done. If you're wanting to slice it go to 160. If you're wanting to shreD it go to 190-195.

For dry rub I always mix a cup of brown sugar, 2 TBLs paprika, 2 TBLS kosher salt, some garlic powder and a little cayenne or chili powder. Gives it a nice bark.
I'm getting hungry. Better stop.

Alright guys I was browsing google looking for recipes for a good pork rub and a good brine for wild pork.

I have 2 small pigs that I'm looking to throw on the smoker on Sunday. They are about 20lbs each with no skin. I am looking for some ideas of how to brine them and what kinda dry or wet rub to use.

Also should I wrap the pigs in banana leaves or tinfoil seeing as they are very small and have no skin on them.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I did a pig about that size this spring, and it came out great. I did not brine it; it was skinned but when I skinned it I was able to leave a nice thin layer of fat. (If yours is super lean, the brine might help keep it moist). I smoked it at low temp (~180 plus or minus for about 10 hours, then turned the heat up to finish it for the last 90 minutes or so. I think it could have cooked a bit longer without any issues, but there were only two of us for dinner that night, so I knew most of it would be re-heated. It was great, moist, very tender and good flavor. The dry rub I used on it was my all-purpose rub for BBQ:

1/8 cup cumin powder
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup sweet or hot paprika
1/8 cup chili powder
1 tbsp red pepper
½ tsp ground mace
¼ cup salt
1/8 cup ground black pepper

BBQ2.JPG

I've got them brining in pineapple juice apple cider vinegar salt and ice. Unfortunately these pigs weren't very fatty so I'm thinking they might need to be wrapped in foil of something to keep the moisture in. This is gonna be a trial run for a bigger one in the future.

These are for reference size.
2v96e8k.jpg

This is the pig it's selfs
setv9g.jpg

I do hog roasts on a rotisserie, and I use a pineapple, apple cider, brown sugar, cumin, salt, bay leave, onion and garlic brine. For 12 hours, then i rub a cuban style mojito (found it online) for another 12 hours. Never had meat leftover even for a sandwich the next morning.

Easy with a farmed/store bought pig, not so much with a wild pig.

right, first pic didn't show up quick enough as the second. wish I could get down there and do some shootin. lwt us know what you do OP

The people that do leave skin on wild pig how are y'all going about preparing it? Like removing hair insects caked on mud etc..

I hear a blow torch works well at removing hair. May not smell good. Try not to cook the meat with the torch. Just enough to burn the hair out and fry any bugs. After that mud dirt whatever can be cleaned off. Then thrown in brine. Salt has anti microbial anti fungus properties.

mix brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, kosker salt, and a small amount of chili powder(i like ancho) with cold water..

place the hog in a large plastic bag and inject it everywhere a lot...let all the injection the comes out of the meat fall into the bag..when done pour the rest of the injection into the bag with the hog and let it marinade for around 24 hours...

then just make a rub conisting of the same stuff as the marinade except for the brown sugar, and water...throw it on hickory/peach wood at 275 till done...

bench

Ya let the BIL do it is my way of doing it !! Lechon Pinoy style!

Thanks guys for all the advice. It has been brining for 24hrs as of now. It will sit another 12hrs in brine and then will his the pit around 630-7 tomorrow morning. I will update this thread tomorrow as the day rolls on.

[MENTION=71254]win.308stealth[/MENTION] was that a whole wild pig or farm raised? Looks delicious either way.

No update as of yet. Except they are still sitting in the cooler in the brine

Well the fire lit at 6am and the pig went on at 7am gotta a boston butt on there too incase the pig is a failure.

1zce73c.jpg

1o0n6u.jpg

Looking good!

I got a question for Yall that brine. Brine is a marinade right with salt correct? I've heard from many people one of the keys to cooking wild pigs because they are usually very lean, is to use very little salt because salt will dry it out. So I read above people love brine for keeping the meat moist while cooking. Is brine just the new word for marinade or is it the more literal Def of salt water? So if u use a high salt solution on a very lean cut of meat it still comes out moist?

I use a 'pear burner' on my hogs. It's like a giant blow torch that runs on a full size propane tank, and it burns all the ticks, fleas, hair, and shit off the pig. Afterwards, it's like cleaning a barnyard pig. Easy. You can get them cheap at Tractor Supply.

The way brine keeps the meat moist is like so: The salt that is added to the bring actually absorbs moisture. Most brines have only a small amount of salt in them, but lots of liquid. The salt acts as a "sponge" for the liquids to absorb into. So when you inject the solution, the salt disperses into the meat. Then swells with the brine solutions. Im roasting a whole pig tomorrow, and Im mixing up my brine as we speak

I don't know how many of you burn and scrape your pigs, but I have a technique that saves a lot of time. I burn it with a torch and instead of using a knife to scrape it, I use a pressure washer. Start spraying it further out and just use your judgement how Close and fast you need to go. Pig vets done alot faster and looks cleaner. Try it and you will thank me.