• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Smoking suppressor, how bad is it? Hybrid 46M & short barrel 6.5 grendel

gigabels

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2022
USA
Just received this suppressor (SiCo Hybrid 46M), put it on my 11" grendel AR to start out. I shot 30-40 rounds at a slow pace. It was working fine, until I noticed smoke/steam coming out the endcap for a solid minute. I'm pretty inexperienced, this isn't normal is it?

When I got home I looked through it and noticed something on the baffles, but only in the removable extension. I'm attaching pictures, first two are of the extension, third is the mount-side baffles which look unaffected. Did I fry off the finish from the stellite? Or is this just carbon fouling?

I'm multitasking too much, completely overlooked the possibility this suppressor isn't made for 6.5g in such a short barrel. The manual does not list a minimum barrel length restriction for 6.5 grendel (or many other cartridges), but if I was more discerning I would have tried to ask SiCo first.

Attachments

• 20220727_005214.jpg
    20220727_005214.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220727_010739.jpg
    20220727_010739.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220727_005857.jpg
    20220727_005857.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 86
Your fine. Keep rocking. Suppressors can be glowing red hot and be fine for a while. If you don’t have full auto capability you can’t tear that can up.

Reactions: Bluedog82
Being that the 6.5 Grendel is much larger than a 5.56, but smaller than a .308 Win, I'd say a happy medium would be barrel length somewhere in between the recommendations. So, I wouldn't go less than a 13" barrel 6.5 Grendel with your can, just to stay on the safe side of the warranty. You probably need a can more suited towards your needs, that's rated for short barrels and such.

As for smoking, that's normal, especially with a brand new can.

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 1.10.18 PM.png

Thanks all. Relieved I didn't damage my $1k suppressor on the first day lol.

So I initially wanted the can because I planned to get an 8.6 BLK rifle when available. Are there any cans you'd reckon could definitely handle 8.6 BLK at 12" ?

And FuhQ do you recc a different can for this 11" 6.5g? Maybe a Saker 762?

Thanks all. Relieved I didn't damage my $1k suppressor on the first day lol.

So I initially wanted the can because I planned to get an 8.6 BLK rifle when available. Are there any cans you'd reckon could definitely handle 8.6 BLK at 12" ?

And FuhQ do you recc a different can for this 11" 6.5g? Maybe a Saker 762?
For the 8.6 build, the Dead Air Primal is full-auto rated and no barrel length restrictions, and has a .460" bore, so you'd be good to go. It's even rated up to .338 Lapua Magnum. 👍🏼

Yeah, for a SBR/pistol 6.5 Grendel, I'd probably go something like a Sandman-S or Nomad-30... Maybe an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S or L in the 7.62 bore. Sorry, not a big fan of SiCo cans.

For the best performance, out of what I listed, the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S or Hydrogen-L will get you some amazing results. They even offer them in a 6.5mm bore diameter for maximum DB reduction. And it's rated for down to 11.5" 6.5 Grendel. 👍🏼

Here's the Otter Creek Labs barrel length restrictions right off their website for the Hydrogen series suppressors.

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 3.32.56 PM.png

I have both the L and S, and have shot them on my 20" 6.5 Grendel, and they sound amazing. The L is obviously quieter, and makes for an amazing lightweight and quiet precision and hunting rifle suppressor, and if you want slightly shorter, but still a VERY quiet can for it's length, the Hydro-S is also a VERY good sounding suppressor, and one of the best .300 BLK suppressors I've tried to date. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
Thanks a lot for the info. I have backordered a Primal. (y)

I've been thinking about what to do with the grendel, still thinking. Leaning towards the Nomad right now. But also thinking I might be better off trading this 11" grendel for a 16" or 18", not only for suppressor reasons but also for more projectile performance. All your info is much appreciated!

Reactions: FuhQ
Thanks a lot for the info. I have backordered a Primal. (y)

I've been thinking about what to do with the grendel, still thinking. Leaning towards the Nomad right now. But also thinking I might be better off trading this 11" grendel for a 16" or 18", not only for suppressor reasons but also for more projectile performance. All your info is much appreciated!
You don’t necessarily have to trade anything, just get you another stripped upper receiver, and a Faxon 20” Match Fluted Heavy 5R barrel, and build a whole new DMR style upper for your lower.

With handloads my Faxon barrel has been really impressing me! After break-in, it has always puts down sub-MOA (usually around 0.5 MOA) groups, and has even put down a few groups in the 0.3xx” range. For an AR, I’ve been really impressed.

I would still recommend the same suppressors for the 6.5 Grendel, regardless of barrel length.

You don’t necessarily have to trade anything, just get you another stripped upper receiver, and a Faxon 20” Match Fluted Heavy 5R barrel, and build a whole new DMR style upper for your lower.

With handloads my Faxon barrel has been really impressing me! After break-in, it has always puts down sub-MOA (usually around 0.5 MOA) groups, and has even put down a few groups in the 0.3xx” range. For an AR, I’ve been really impressed.

I would still recommend the same suppressors for the 6.5 Grendel, regardless of barrel length.
Ah, I love building AR's but I don't like having half-built guns lying around, it would tempt me to buy another lower to finish it. Space is limited too.

I did talk to SiCo support, barrel limit for 6.5g is 12". No recommendation yet on 8.6 BLK of course. I rushed this purchase, thought the lack of Ti baffles meant it's good to go on anything. Will definitely look to a Nomad or Hydrogen soon.

Reactions: FuhQ
When I got my first can (nomad L) it smoked like crazy the first trip to the range. I was like WTF because I had never seen any other one do that in videos, but after that, it doesn’t do it anymore

Reactions: gigabels
I contacted Silencerco about barrel restrictions on an Omega 300 with 6.5 Grendel. I have one with an 11.5" barrel and another with a 12" barrel. They replied
"We generally recommend 12 inches or greater for supersonic 6.5 Grendel with an Omega 300."

But a couple of days ago I was looking at their site and found a 2022 catalog.

https://silencerco.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/catalog-2022-web.pdf

Page 30 has a barrel restriction chart. It shows 10" for 6.5 Grendel with an Omega 300. Also shows 10" for Hybrid 46M. :unsure:

I plan to use the Omega with my 11.5" barrel once it is out of jail.

I contacted Silencerco about barrel restrictions on an Omega 300 with 6.5 Grendel. I have one with an 11.5" barrel and another with a 12" barrel. They replied
"We generally recommend 12 inches or greater for supersonic 6.5 Grendel with an Omega 300."

But a couple of days ago I was looking at their site and found a 2022 catalog.

https://silencerco.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/catalog-2022-web.pdf

Page 30 has a barrel restriction chart. It shows 10" for 6.5 Grendel with an Omega 300. Also shows 10" for Hybrid 46M. :unsure:

I plan to use the Omega with my 11.5" barrel once it is out of jail.
That is handy, thanks, especially for a more comprehensive list of cartridges. But I'm wondering if that 10" might be a typo or outdated since we were both told 12"

I would suspect the rep that said 12" might have it wrong. I might contact them again for clarification. But Silencerco does have a lifetime warranty and it does say 10" in an official publication, so I would say send it. I doubt 1 or 2 inches will make much difference. That's what I tell my wife anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: gigabels