• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "Smoother" action?

LukeUSMC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2008
Louisiana
Ok I have a sps that I'm sending off to get some work done. I want to make the action as smooth as my 5R action. What is the correct term for getting that done? I thought it was "jeweling" but I don't think that is it...
Sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks,

Luke

Re: "Smoother" action?

If the SPS is new and the 5R is not, then it is just more a matter of cycling the bolt a couple thousand times. That is if the 5R is stock and has not had any blueprinting done to it. Just sit down in front of the TV or whatever and cycle away. Usually, that will slicken it up.

Josh

I don't know if you guys have ever really handled a SPS bolt, but mine wouldn't pass for a rough cut on a lathe. I can file my nails on it. Its pretty bad but doesn't tear the brass up to bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if you guys have ever really handled a SPS bolt, but mine wouldn't pass for a rough cut on a lathe. I can file my nails on it. Its pretty bad but doesn't tear the brass up to bad. </div></div>

Yea mines real rough. Yes it's brand new, but my 700P wasn't that bad. My 5R is brand new too and smooth as silk...

Gotcha. I owned a 700P and it broke right in after a little time cycling it in front of the tube. However, I have since gone the TRG route and won't be looking back. Hope you get it figured out...maybe one of the smiths will chime in.

Josh

BEFORE I trued my action and bolt, I ran some fine lapping compound between the bolt/action to smooth it up. (bare action and bolt)
I sat and cycled it while watching tv with the wife.
Then I cleaned it thoroughly and trued the receiver and bolt lugs... I keep it lightly greased, and it's smooth as silk now,
YMMV

Try some garnite lapping compound from Brownells I think it comes in 600, 800, and 1000 grits not very expensive either.

my 308 sps bolt was real rough when it was new, almost a gritty feel when cycling due to the rough bolt coating, but it smoothed out around 50 rounds down the pipe