• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smoothest bolt action ever!

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
http://www.schuermanarms.com/ I was at the NRA show and walked up to Schuermans small booth almost feeling sorry for him because there was nobody looking at his guns.Man was I surprised!!!!!!!This has to be the smoothest bolt action ever made.Much slicker than all the custom bolt actions I've ever manipulated!Including BAT,Surgeon,Lawton,Stiller,RPA,RFD.You can literally point the gun muzzle down and let the bolt fall under it's own weight and it closes into battery with bolt down!It feels like it's riding on ball bearings.

Does anyone own one of these?..Any complaints other than price?

Steve

Re: Smoothest bolt action ever!

Steve I saw those as well and holy shit they are smooth, I would definatly like to hear some reviews as well from anyone who owns one.

$5450 for the base price?!? That's a LOT to pay for a new player to the market. With brake and tac bolt you end up paying nearly $6000. For that much you can get a GAP .308 or even a Lawton/Viersco in .375 CT or .408 CT and still have a bunch of cash left over for optics, ammo, whatever.

I'd say, yes, the price would be a primary complaint. Personally I can't justify paying a $2000 premium for a smooth(er) bolt when existing actions don't really have any complaints, and are proven to withstand field conditions. I'm sure he spent a LOT of time coming up with that design, and he's trying to recoup his investment, but he's pricing himself out of the larger market.

neat lug idea, wonder if they are foolproof though, would be a bolt in the face if that system faied...

That is indeed a unusual lug set-up. If I'm not mistaken doesn't the sig-sauer SSG-2000 have a similar set-up?

My TRG 42 has a smooth as a knife through warm butter feel. Its a high dollar rifle, well according to my budget, but definitely not $5000 rifle. I couldn't justify it myself.

A tikka t3 has the smoothest bolt i have ever felt, and they are only 500 bucks. I havent handeled many custom rifles, but the two that i do own arent even close to being as smooth as a tikka. Lee

Tikka 595 - smoother than a cashmere codpiece. Like a fool I sold it (the rifle, not the codpiece)

Reactions: rymart

Hi Steve,
I finally did get a chance to feel the Tikka at our local gunshow sunday and it's alot smoother than most of the actions I've cycled.I wouldn't mind doing a build on one for sure.I'm a little bored with all the 700 type actions though.Not that there's anything wrong with them I just like guns that are different is all.

Someone PMed me saying that Barnard P's are really smooth but I've never cycled one of them either.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteveA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> smoother than a cashmere codpiece. </div></div>

Laughed my head off when I read that, then I promptly sent it to a buddy who owns a Tikka Varmint...........That is so strong...still laughing.

-Pat

A friend has a 30-40 Krag that is smooth enough to do that. What makes some rifle so much smoother than others?

Jim

The smoothest bolt action ever is a Husquarna/Carl Gustaf 1900 Sporter Match 222rem with reduced boltlift (60 deg). Even a matchtuned Krag feels like a mismatched Mosin Nagant compared to the CG1900. The CG 1900 is specially made for the old Olympic shooting event "Running deer double shot". This event requires two shots at a running deer target at 100m in less than 4.6 seconds. ( the deer target runs 25yds in 4.6 seconds. The X-ring is 6"). The CG1900 has ruled the game from 1970 till today and have beaten all comers like custom pumpactions, all bolt actions and all straight pull rifles like Blaser R93. In this event you need the smoothest and fastest repeating action with an acceptable trigger and fast locktime. After 37 years the CG1900 is still smoothest shooting action and it has the official results to prove it.

SteveA: I you happen to be at Bisley the first weekend in june there is a running deer match at the moving target range between UK and Norway. One of the Norwegian shooters has a CG1900 sporter.

PS: The event "Running deer" is the "parent event" for the 220 russian, aka 22PPC and 6mmPPC.

Reactions: reubenski

I thought i would be the first with this brand and was about to say HVA Carl Gustaf sporter they were actualy sold as Smith & Wesson factory rifles in the 70's they are definatly the smoothest i have ever used if you have the bolt lightly oiled and lift the muzzle slightly the bolt slides out like on bearings.

Awsome rifles they have been copied by Zoli not to the perfection but not far off an amasing design.

The Tikka's are by far the best out of the box, that I have handled. The new t/c icon isn't bad either.

I had a Steyr SBS that was pretty sweet. I'm still kicking myself about selling it.

i have an 1896 Krag that can work itself with just a thought. The craftsmanship of that action and stock is amazing. No CNC machines...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A friend has a 30-40 Krag that is smooth enough to do that. What makes some rifle so much smoother than others?

Jim </div></div>

You beat me to it. These are like grease on glass. A lot of hand fitting would be my guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A friend has a 30-40 Krag that is smooth enough to do that. What makes some rifle so much smoother than others?

Jim </div></div>

You beat me to it. These are like grease on glass. A lot of hand fitting would be my guess. </div></div>

I wish the Krag was a stronger more accurate action, I'd build on it for sure. I doubt that a military production rifle was highly hand worked in military trim.

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-october01.html

"The strength afforded by the "dual" locking lug system had its price though. Getting the locking lug and bolt guide rib to bear against the receiver properly required a great deal of hand fitting, and thus was not conducive to easy mass production. Additionally, a significant number of complex machining operations was necessary to make the magazine box integral to the receiver. This in itself was a challenging task which required the machinist to have special skills, as well as the workers involved in heat treatment."

I had to Google it. It seemed unlikey to me as well, but there really is no other way it could be that smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A friend has a 30-40 Krag that is smooth enough to do that. What makes some rifle so much smoother than others?

Jim </div></div>

You beat me to it. These are like grease on glass. A lot of hand fitting would be my guess. </div></div>

I wish the Krag was a stronger more accurate action, I'd build on it for sure. I doubt that a military production rifle was highly hand worked in military trim. </div></div>

I'm born in tha same country as the Krag rifle. Even a tuned Krag is no match for a CG1900 sporter.

TorF

1 week, a lazyboy, and some Flitz and you too an have a silky smooth action. There is nothing more to a smooth action that trued lugs, polished raceways (Flitz) polished bolt components, and/or general breaking in. Use your rifle enough for long enough, and the bolt will drop closed like you describe, or as I prefer to call it, premature wear.

I haven't seen the Schuerman, but if it's smoother and more precise than a Bat then DANG!!! It must awesome. Bat is the coolest thing I've had the pleasure of touching. TM

I guess you guys would just have to feel them.It's hard to describe.It's the short throw,the silky smooth feel sliding the bolt back and forth and how the locking/caming action feels upon bolt closing.It's kind of like an assisted opening knife.As if he's got springs putting a small amount of force on the closing mechanism. Trust me it does not feel like all the actions we're used to.I think the BATS are the most precise actions and well proven in benchrest but to me they are more sturdy than smooth.

I sure would like to work the bolt on some of these others described in this thread!

Steve

I have never seen a CG 1900, but I do have a 1909 CG Swede M96 and a 1942 Husqvarna M38, and a couple of Swiss K31s and a swiss 1911. All are smooth- not in the Krag or 1900 class, but smooth.
The old rifles, like the Krag, were all hand fitted. Labor was cheap. The fit and finish of the metal and the fit of the metal to wood is amazing.
All of those rifles are very accurate. I shoot them in vintage matches and love them.
Their actions are a little on the weak side- in the case of the Swedes they lack a lug and ports for venting gasses the 98k Mauser action developed- and that Remington and Winchester copied.
The K31 action is just not as strong due to it's design, but they are scary accurate. I have managed- very few times but I did it, a 1" 10 round group with iron sights and military surplus ammo at 100 yards. Usually I am more around 2", but hell, my eyes are almost 51 years old too. I have some friends that shoot the matches with me that can't even see the bullseye without corrective glasses so I am fortunate.
I think it was Col. Cooper who said it best, "Only accurate rifles are interesting". Mine are very interesting.

Jim

You're making me curious about what real smoothness is. My Infinity 45 is by far the smoothest thing I've ever experienced. All my Bat's are beautiful, Stiller's are great, Anschutz's, ERMA Sr100, PGM's, they're all fantastic but the Infinity. GLASSSSSSSS. Nothing comes close. Of course it cost just as much as anything I ever would have thought about. That's the only downside.

so is it any more accurate than any of the other customer rifle builders with this smooth action....

The Krag is accurate for it's time period, it's not a tack driving rifle and it can't compare in accuracy to a Mauser 96 or 98. It has a single primary front locking lug, the dual lug comes from a second rear lug that does not keep load path symmetry.

Look at the front of any modern bolt action. The bolt nose looks like a k98 action. Dual front lugs at the nose of the bolt. They are symmetrically opposed about the bolt and carries loads into the receiver in a paired load path with equal stiffness.

Deflection under load is a tennant of repeated accuracy. If you put the bolt lugs far back on the bolt or unbalance them geometrically, you're screwing yourself.

The Krag is smooth as silk, it's an interesting action, and I like the old CR rifles (most of my stuff is CRs) but it's not a "precision capable" action. Also, thanks for posting the info about all that hand fitting in them, I was unaware of that. It seems backwards to think that's reasonable, but if it happened, then so be it. Learning something new everday
smile.gif

My k98 that I posted pictures of has lapped surfaces throughout the action and it's very smooth, the final lapping that I have to complete is the bolt/striker cam surface and I will be done. it's nicer than anything I've handled short of a Krag.

I would love to try a CG1900 to see what the fuss is all about.

Here's a genuine CG1900 sporter for sale in Norway. It has a new custom 260 barrel. Stock is a slightly modified original. The large black backelite boltkbnob shows that this is a genuine sporter with reduced, app 60deg, bolt lift. Huntingrifles has 90deg boltlift. A lot of huntingrifles has been converted to targetrifles but they are not as smooth as the original sporters. The smoothest version is chambered for 222rem.

http://www.finn.no/finn/bap/object?finnkode=17485126

TorF

Lee-Enfields are smooth also. I sure like the Tikka and the TRG, for a production model, in the immortal words of Tony the Tiger, they're great!

I wouldn’t claim they are the smoothest actions ever, but early model Mannlicher Schoenauers (Circa 1900-1950s)are up there with the best of them. The rear - split bridge receiver and attention to detail of the raceways(and everything else), made these some of the smoothest actions ever made.
Even the newer Steyr Mannlichers are very
good.

I wouldn’t claim they are the smoothest actions ever, but early model Mannlicher Schoenauers (Circa 1900-1950s)are up there with the best of them. The rear - split bridge receiver and attention to detail of the raceways(and everything else), made these some of the smoothest actions ever made.
Even the newer Steyr Mannlichers are very
good.
This thread is from 2009.

Well aren’t you the bright light to notice the necropost-lol.😂😆🤣. So what! Can’t imagine why so many take issue with old threads. There is a world of information on old threads.

Wait...am I missing something, or did you just necropost your previous necropost.

Not sure whether to be impressed or not at this point, but you can certainly dig up shit better than my ex-wife 😄.

rise-thread-i-conjure-thee.jpg

I'm just....

1623620274022.png

I mean the member that he quoted to reply to is no longer a member and will likely never see his snappy comeback...10 months after the fact. Well....it was good for a chuckle anyway lol.

The smoothest bolt action ever is no more.............

Someone should be able to buy the patent now.
Or just steal it cause patents are only valuable if you can defend them

with a fine enough grit sand paper they are all smooth cracks whip putting kids back to work :oops: .