• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Smoothing a 770 bolt action

BeerAlchemist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
WA
My buddy didn't listen to me and so ended up with a 770 scope combo from cabellas yesterday. For $320 I suppose I can't blame him given a limited budget. Anyway the bolt sucks balls. It is hard to slide open and chatters as it is being slid closed. Is there a way to smooth this out. I was thinking of telling him to use a little lapping compound to wear it down but figure I should ask people who know before suggesting such things.

Re: Smoothing a 770 bolt action

You can do that. Works well. Keep it off the seating faces of the locking lugs unless he wants to have the barrel set back and reheadspaced. You can cut pieces of wood that fit the action then glue on very fine finishing paper such as used on automobile finishes...800 to 2000 grit...and smooth the insides of the raceways of the action also. Polish whatever rubs, but again, avoid the seating faces. JMHO