• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Smoothing the action of the Springfield Armory XD-40

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
Hey folks, I've got a problem with my Springfield Armory XD-40 handgun, and it's partially my fault. At 70, I have developed arthritis in my hands and I just don't have the strength in my hands that I did even 10 years ago. In preparing for my upcoming Concealed Carry Weapon training class, I pulled out the XD for cleaning and maintenance and just had a heck of a time racking the action. The handgun has not received much use over the last few years, but I'd like to improve the action prior to the class. I was thinking of polishing the metal faces of the slide, as well as a good lubing. I sure would appreciate any advice I could get from the community. Actually, it's really embarrassing for me to admit that I have come to this place, but I'm not one to give up easily! I want to thank any potential commenters in advance for taking the time to read this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: diverdon
Hey folks, I've got a problem with my Springfield Armory XD-40 handgun, and it's partially my fault. At 70, I have developed arthritis in my hands and I just don't have the strength in my hands that I did even 10 years ago. In preparing for my upcoming Concealed Carry Weapon training class, I pulled out the XD for cleaning and maintenance and just had a heck of a time racking the action. The handgun has not received much use over the last few years, but I'd like to improve the action prior to the class. I was thinking of polishing the metal faces of the slide, as well as a good lubing. I sure would appreciate any advice I could get from the community. Actually, it's really embarrassing for me to admit that I have come to this place, but I'm not one to give easily! I want to thank any potential commenters in advance for taking the time to read this post.
I'm seven years younger than you and it takes the great majority of the strength in my left thumb to pinch the slide tight enough. I would talk to the instructor, and if possible for you bring a second gun with a lighter spring.

Grip the slide and pull back while simultaneously pushing the grip forward and that may make it easier. Combining the effort of both hands may ease the process. Other than that, reducing the recoil spring weight is the only way to really make a difference but that could cause cycling issues.

Reactions: Rio2019
Grip the slide and pull back while simultaneously pushing the grip forward and that may make it easier. Combining the effort of both hands may ease the process. Other than that, reducing the recoil spring weight is the only way to really make a difference but that could cause cycling issues.
Hi Fisher, thank you for the recommendation! As a matter of fact, I had forgotten that technique as I have not shot the XD in some time. Thanks again.

Two things in addition to what FisherT&C said... Lightweight leather gloves (Golf gloves) will increase traction lessening the force needed to grip the slide. Instead of using your thumb and forefinger try grasping the slide with your hand over the slide and thumb pointed toward you. Again more traction and the rear sight helps keep your hand from sliding.

Reactions: FisherT&C
Take a tennis ball and squeeze your thumb and index finger together. At your age you have lost 75% of your thumb strength. Work on you not the gun is my two cents, additional strength will help you in daily task. Additional strength with the techniques mentioned above you will be working that slide in no time.

I never expected to get such valuable and useful information. Thanks to all of you. I may have lost some hand strength, but I still have a lot of things I want to do.

FWIW , if you are racking this gun with you thumb/index finger using the serations you are simply fighting a losing battle.
Learn to rack it by placing your whole hand across the top of the slide using your palm and all fingers On the back portion. One hell of a lot less strain

Reactions: Rio2019