• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Smoothing up a CZ 453 safety--F&%# Up added!

fish30114

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2010
Canton Georgia
The safety on my CZ 453 is VERY stiff. I have about 250 rounds through it so far, and it is very accurate, but the safety is just a bear to put on and take off. I tried a very small amount of sanding with some 600 grit emory cloth on the corners of the safety catch, but can notice no difference, I doubt it removed much--if any material, but decided to ask for advice before I tried anything else--I am very mechanically inclined, but no gunsmith of any amount to speak of...so just look for input and advice on how to smooth this one up.

Re: Smoothing up a CZ 453 safety

The safety on my 452 is held by a screw into the action. I put it back too tight when I had it all apart to bed it. You might check there first and back off the screw a little and check. It is obvious and easy to get to by just pulling the barreled action out of the stock.

Thanks GG, that is the kind of info I am looking for, but on my rifle the safety is integral to the bolt, If you pull the bolt, the safety comes with it...I'll look at taking the barreled action out of the stock just because, but the safety isn't bound by any screw(s) that are connected to the stock, it's a 453 American, and has a set trigger....

Thanks for your thoughts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The safety on my 452 is held by a screw into the action. </div></div>

Every one I've seen/had are on the bolt.....

Fish-I take them apart and put a little JB bore paste on everything, reassemble, and cycle the safety/cock the bolt a few hundred times while watching the tube. Then disassemble, relube and its all usually MUCH better.

Sorbiker, that sounds like a plan--weather here sucks today, so no work or range time anyway. I have some lapping compound from Brownells, so I may try with that.

Thanks for the recommendations

I am refeering to the actuating lever which is where all my tightness came from.....you have a handle on where to go whether that or the mechanism itself..

GG, I'm not sure what the actuating lever is....I took my bolt apart and 'smoothed/sanded' down the firing pin assembly 'lug' that the safety pushes back until it just engaged perfectly with the safety....made it smooth as butter--BUT, it now does not pull the assembly back far enough, so WITH the safety on, you can pull the trigger and the sear breaks, and as soon as you flip the safety off, the pin falls!! FUBAR!! Don't know what to do now...my retardation probably will cost me a new firing pin at least----DO
H
frown.gif

OUCH!! whenever actually removing metal doing fitting you MUST take a little, check, take a little, check, take a little, check.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OUCH!! whenever actually removing metal doing fitting you MUST take a little, check, take a little, check, take a little, check..... </div></div>
You are correct sir! I think this is lesson number 37 on this principle....I really only had to burn myself once with a torch to learn it was hot
wink.gif

I honestly got it just where I wanted to get it, I just didn't realize that retracting the striker/firing pin that little bit directly affected thesear as it does, classify that as not knowing enough about triggers and related parts, which is why my impatient ass should wait on a gunsmith, or better intel before trying stuff--DOH!!

I honestly think a knowledgeable smith might be able to tell me what else in the trigger mechanism could be tweaked to allow the safety catch to engage smoothly, and the trigger still be safe, but we shall see. I will say that I definitely do not like the CZ safety, notwithstanding my bonehead move!

Hers a tip. When you need to smooth a part 600 grit does not leave a smooth finish. The best tool for smoothing is a hard arkansas stone, if you can reach the part with one, 1200grit otherwise. Biker's suggestion is also a dandy. J-B is an excellent polishing compound.

I do try to use a stone when I can--on this one it wouldn't have made a difference, as I actually got it to exactly where I was trying to get it, even if I should have snuck up on it better!

The issue lies with me not knowing that the safety lever had to act as a firing pin 'retractor' to get it to a place where it was disengaged from the sear....live and learn is the only thing I can think of....I WILL NOT like this safety system regardless of my bone-headed-ness!
crazy.gif