• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SN-3.... but 44mm or 58mm

koobs84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Fresno, Ca
So I decided to take the plunge for better quality optics after lurking for some time and looking at all the information I could. I finally decided to go with USO SN-3. But I cant decide between the 44 or 58mm.

I've seen alot of pics of the 44mm mounted but not the 58. Does anyone have any pics of the SN-3 in 58??

I will be mounting mine on a 700 sps-v with an aics stock.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Re: SN-3.... but 44mm or 58mm

It's a Ruger not a Remington....
( a buddies 7mm Mag)

it's 58......

IMG_0320.jpg

Dont mind the 4" sunshade, makes it look longer than it is.

35mm tube, medium tps rings
DSC04549.jpg

58 is the way...

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0398-2.jpg

All 58's...

DSC_0679.jpg

BTW, those are sitting in low rings with #7 barrel contour, don't believe the hype about how it "jacks your scope up too high"...

5-25, 35mm tube

Med USO rings, EGW base:
efce4093.jpg

Too high for my taste so I got down with a pair of Vtac lows:
733e4d1e.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">58 is the way...

DSC_0654.jpg

</div></div>

Now THAT is some solid Camo!

58's are the chit! My ST-10 is one of the older ones with the 58 glass in the 44 Obj. Definition is outstanding. Looking through the 58 over a 44 is worlds better so if you have the change for the 58 do it. The only thing better would be a big fat 338 with a 80 on it in a SN9 rig

I mulled it over for quite some time and settled on 44mm for my 3.2-17x SN3. I find myself on the scope a lot in low light and I have not found the smaller objective to be an issue.

If you are going with the higher magnification, then it may be a good idea to bump up to the larger objective, but I don't see it as a need on the 3.2-17x.

If you don't shoot at night or in low light then there is definitely no reason to go with the larger objective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mulled it over for quite some time and settled on 44mm for my 3.2-17x SN3. I find myself on the scope a lot in low light and I have not found the smaller objective to be an issue.

If you are going with the higher magnification, then it may be a good idea to bump up to the larger objective, but I don't see it as a need on the 3.2-17x.

If you don't shoot at night or in low light then there is definitely no reason to go with the larger objective. </div></div>

While I have no "lowlight" experience, I will say that my 3.2-17x44 TPAL with the same reticle as my friends 58mm ERGO seemed just as "clear and bright" (shooting a plate at 1000)..... FWIW

I went with the 58mm 3.8-22 because I'll be doing a lot of early morning and end of the day shooting.... just waiting on its delivery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres a picture I found with the 44 and 58 side by side

USO_SN3-2200_3.jpg
</div></div>

Like I said....the Hubble....
whistle.gif

Besides you are a CE.....you can throw it on your tripod and run a closure.....

I run 58 on my 5-25, 44 on my SSDS and 37mm on my ST10. As with any other facet of the optics debate, these are tools and you gotta pick the right wrench for the nut.

Jeff at USO told me there was no advantage of the 58mm over the 44mm with a 3.2-17, same reasoning with a 35mm instead of 30mm tube. So I went the cheaper route.

Thanks everyone!! I think I'll be getting the 58... just gotta get all the funds now
grin.gif

The 58's look like serious business on an aics stock

Great camo work on your stock JRose (let me guess... 30calsniper??)

BTW, who makes the rings you have???

Swan, the 35mm tube has more internal travel than the 30. And a 58mm objective is better in low light situations. Now Im no expert, but I woul call both of those an advantage, but thats just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BTW, who makes the rings you have??? </div></div>

Those are USO rings....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swan, the 35mm tube has more internal travel than the 30. And a 58mm objective is better in low light situations. Now Im no expert, but I woul call both of those an advantage, but thats just me. </div></div>

The eye can only use so much light in certain situations, just like your rifle only needs so much elevation travel for the intended engagement envelope.

It's about matching the optic to the platform and the mission, not just buying the "biggest" or "baddest".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The 58's look like serious business on an aics stock

Great camo work on your stock JRose (let me guess... 30calsniper??)

BTW, who makes the rings you have??? </div></div>

USO rings. 30calsniper did the paint, and if you can get past the fact that he's a fag, his work is awesome. You just have to accept the fact that he was prolly jerking some dude off right before he handled your rifle... yuk.

Reasons I went with 58:

Brighter image / higher resolution
Larger exit pupil, more forgiving with eye placement
Larger FOV

Downsides for me are that it's a little bigger and heavier. Not that big of a deal since my scoped rifle weighs 18 pounds anyway. I doubt I'll notice a few ounces... Also I think the 44's look a little better, more proportioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's about matching the optic to the platform and the mission, not just buying the "biggest" or "baddest". </div></div>

Don't you know picking a scope is about testosterone levels, not platform and mission?

JRose mentioned the biggest reason to go big-the exit pupil.

Aesthetically I think the 44mm Ergo is the best, but my 58Tpal looks right at home on my 35mm tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reasons I went with 58:

Brighter image / higher resolution
Larger exit pupil, more forgiving with eye placement
Larger FOV

Downsides for me are that it's a little bigger and heavier. Not that big of a deal since my scoped rifle weighs 18 pounds anyway. I doubt I'll notice a few ounces... Also I think the 44's look a little better, more proportioned.

</div></div>

This is why I went with the 58 for my 3.2-17 SN-3. My only regret is that I went with the 30mm tube instead of 35. Not that I need the additional travel, but you never know what the future will bring.

Jason Ima punch you right in the face................

Unfortunately, Your T5a was carried off by a pack of rabid dogs. I tried to stop them but there were just too many of them. (Im ok by the way)

Did you want to go ahead and put in another order or,,,,,?

On the bright side, MY NEW T5a is totallly sweeet!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason Ima punch you right in the face................

Unfortunately, Your T5a was carried off by a pack of rabid dogs. I tried to stop them but there were just too many of them. (Im ok by the way)

Did you want to go ahead and put in another order or,,,,,?

On the bright side, MY NEW T5a is totallly sweeet!! </div></div>

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres a picture I found with the 44 and 58 side by side</div></div>

Hey those are mine! I'm glad to see my photos are out there working, educating people.
smile.gif

Here's a pic of the 58mm on a rifle:

aw50_cyclops.jpg