• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SN-3 tracking problem?

Luke

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 29, 2002
    Colorado
    So I was doing some shooting today with my Savage .308 verifying my zero and getting some dope from 10-100yds. While I was at it I went ahead and did a box test since I had never bothered to do that since I have owned the scope (USO SN-3 3.2-17x44 MPR reticle CM click values). My elevation tracked perfectly (6mils dialed, 6mils change in POI) however when I got to the windage my results were slightly disappointing. I dialed 5mils left and my POI was only 3.2 mils left, dialing 10 mils back to the right resulted in a POI 3.2 mils right of my original POA. I wanted to double check these reults and shot the following target:
    P3170468.jpg

I was aiming at the top/center target and the bullseyes on either side were exactly 1mil from the center. I dial 1 mil and 0.5 mil right and my shots were impacting right about where they were supposed to be. However, when I dialed 1 mil left the POI was only 0.5mil left and 2mils of adjustment produced only 1 mil of POI change.

I double checked all my scope dial, rings, base, and action screws and everything checked out okay. I wanted to verify that it was not operator error so checked everything and repeated the process a couple times producing the shot groups as seen. Any ideas?

Re: SN-3 tracking problem?

Is it possible the windage is actually 1/4 IPHY adjustments?
    Maybe even 1/4 MOA?

Sure looks like it, of course this would be a bit more than 3.2 mils. Your adjustments are supposed to be 1/10th mil, right?

Supposed to be 1/10mil, correct.

As far as why I'm getting exactly half POI changes between left and right is what really confuses me.

It would be a feat of engineering to make an erector jacking screw that was different thread pitches in different directions.
    laugh.gif

You sure that those figures all reference a good zero, or are the left shots referencing the right and you messed up?

No offense intended, Luke.

Yes those are with a good zero and were dialed correctly. I made sure of that... I was in the Army long enough to know 90% of all malfunctions are operator error
    grin.gif

Do you have plenty of over-travel in both directions? You aren't running into a stop or some limiting force in one direction by any chance? (erector tube not centered when zeroed?)

I would try it on a collimator - run the windage and elevation and see what happens. If it tracks with the square collimator grid you know the problem is something else.

david.

Luke,

It sounds like it has the wrong knob in the body. From the sounds of it the knob is tracking properly but the amount it is moving doesn't add up. Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail so I can give you the information needed to return the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff@USO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Luke,

It sounds like it has the wrong knob in the body. From the sounds of it the knob is tracking properly but the amount it is moving doesn't add up. Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail so I can give you the information needed to return the scope. </div></div>
    W/ all the options you offer maybe someone got confused? Hell he might have ordered it that way?
    grin.gif

I'll try to shoot it again to verify I'm not just being dense and I'll get back to you Jeff.

Thanks!

Edited to add: Ya know this could be why I can never get my wind calls even close, lol
    grin.gif