• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SN3.2-17 44 Vs Mark 4 ER 6.5-20 50

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
I really want the SN but it may take a year to get enough coin. I just came into enough coin to just about afford the Mark 4. I have been reading all the reviews about both and the consensus is, the SN is better but is it $1200 better. Probably a stupid question but I am seeking opinions; drop the coin on the Mark 4, then I do not have to worry about saving any more and all money from now on can be used for time on the trigger? I feel this is the best option as time on the trigger is more important then an SN. Or continue to save for the SN which would be a sight of my lifetime. I got real lucky and was able to afford GAP Crusader and I would like to have a sight for it when George calls.

For all who may, not interested in NF at all.

Thanks

Re: SN3.2-17 44 Vs Mark 4 ER 6.5-20 50

Are they really $1200 apart in price? I figured they were closer in price. If you can live with the turrets/reticle not matching, the Leupy should serve you fine, IMHO. With that said - if they were both sitting on a table for the taking, I would choose the SN3 for matching reticle/knobs alone.

I actually have both of the scopes you're considering, and while I'll openly admit that the USO is better glass, if I were in your spot I'd pick up the Leupold and be able to spend the year shooting your GAP! I'm sure there's plenty who will disagree with the scope debate, but it's hard to disagree that there's no question that a year from now you will have developed your shooting much farther by being able to spend your time shooting your Crusader instead of petting it (not that I'm being judgemental of those who pet or talk to their rifle). Like matchking said, if it's not that big a deal to you to have your turrets & reticle matching, the Mark 4 will serve you fine.

I assume you're talking about the Mark 4 FFP.

That was a debate I was facing a while back. I have used a Leupy, NF and others and I would agree with what has been said already. US Optics are amazing and I hope to own one some day, but until then Leupy's and my NF SFP serve me just fine.

I would have to say I am not totally convinced on the NF F1's yet (I assume that is why you said no NF) because for that price I would definitely get a USO.

Buy the Mark 4 and shoot the crap out of that GAP.
I'm jealous.

I have owned all the high dollar optics all the way to the shitty optics. S&B, Lupy, US Optics, NightForce, IOR. MY OPINION!!!!!
is I would never spend after haveing all of them 2,500 again for a scope. Now my job is not shooting bad guys @ 1000yds, I just shoot to shoot. Now TO ME!!!!!!! I could not tell the diffrence in glass quality between the US Optics/Lupy/Nightforce. S&B Was better then those two, but not better then the IOR's I have had. IN MY OPINION!!!! The two best glass I have ever looked through has been IOR, and Burris. As far as tracking goes, my Lupy's track as good as my US Optics, but would never stand up to the abuse that the US optic's will. ST-10 IS THE BEST DEAL AROUND PERIOD!!!!!! FROM US OPTICS. Tracking is the key to me, I just wish I could trust IOR customer service, I would probably switch all of my scopes to them. So TO ME!!!!!! somene else said before on this sight, I will take my extra 1200.00 and buy another rifle, and put Lupys on everthing, but like I said I dont put bad guys down @ 1000yds. Just my .02

Kind of what I was thinking, time on the trigger is more important and/or I can take the money for another gun, always wanted an M1A.

I think I still can get Luepy Mark 4 for about $1400, and yes it is the FFP so I am told, the ER. The USO SN3 I put together was $2600.

That is right on the NF, FFP is near the cost of the USO. I really hate the rotating eye too.

Thanks, ammo or another gun, I think I may got it now.

How about waiting a bit and buyng the Falcon 5-25x50 or 5-25x56 FFP thats going to come out in a month or so for about $500 and spending the rest on ammo and range time.

Plus you can get the Falcon with matching knobs!

I have been shooting with a MK4 for a while now. I like the TMR reticle. The scope is very clear. The adjustments ary VERY repeatable. I have gone from 1K back to my 200yrd zero too many times to count and it has always been spot on. Sometimes I feel there is a very small backlash in the windage, but it is more likely my wind reading ability at fault. There is a documented backlash in the side paralax adjustment. It just has to be refocused from infinity each time to be correct. I shot the scope on my 5R for a while, now it rides on my .223 sps. It gets a real workout on the 223. No complaints.
I have a USO on the way for the 308. Other than personal prefernces and MOA reticle, I doubt it will improve my shooting results, Well maybe I will shoot even more, and that is where improvement comes from.
As always, YMMV
Rob

Here is what I learned;

There seems to be many out there who do honest reviews on optics, while everyone has an agenda of some sort, there are some honest reviews. Of those, they all say optics are very subjective to the individual view. So, those who seem to be honest, Leupy does just fine in the optics department. Some seem to bash Leupy at everything, my friend who was unit marksman with M24 and Leupy in Iraq, will not give Leupy a single atta boy, he hates them for no reason other than the name. I was not asking for glass to glass but more about what to do with the coin as not to waste it.

Are they over priced for what I will get? Maybe but my question was I want to get out shooting as soon as the new stick arrives and I want to keep SS on current stick for my son and I do not want another SS and I want variable after thinking it over. If I get this smoking deal on the ER FFP Mark 4, I figure its good enough high end optics and use money for ammo (if 308 ever becomes widely avail again or powder primers bullets too), then maybe some day sell it and buy the SN3. And, I still have 3 more guns I want to buy and hot rod one of my pistols.

I have a 2 months to decide plus the new stick will arrive right at the beginning of hunting season, and the ranges, woods, hills, swamps and tundra will be full of hunters so, it may mid October before I can get solid trigger time anyway.

Thanks all and and any and all will be appreciated.

id buy the F1 nightforce in MLR/milrad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For all who may, not interested in NF at all.
</div></div>

That's a shame it seems to me. I like M4 Lueys (& VXIII's), but never owned one that I felt as confident as a NF. That 20x is nice to read the mirage, yet I have rarely used that magnification for the shot.

Does sound like you have yourself talked into the M4.

You know what they say, until you scratch that itch. I see SN3 haunting your dreams...

What would/did I do?

I bought a Falcon and shot. I was saving for a USO or S&B until I lucked out. My USO SN-3 will be enroute in a couple months.

Time on the trigger with SERVICEABLE optics will trump no time on the trigger and $3K optics.

Optics are subjective, but "I" did not see an appreciable difference between the Mk4 I looked at and my Falcon. The Falcon trumps the Mk4 in the features department and mine has been durable.

If you HAVE the cash, go with the best optics you can afford. If you don't have the cash, it's better to get some lower priced glass and get on the trigger. Remember that todays "cheap" glass is still better that the "top of the line" ages ago.

I am trying to talk myself out of the SN3! Its my dream glass as S&B but do I really need a glass I cannot afford? I got lucky and with selling a closet full of junk on Craiglist, I can afford a $4k GAP, so who knows when some guy dropped large coin in my lap yesterday for more closet junk.

Yep, used Leupy VX and FX for over 30 years with no failures so I guess I do lean towards them. My main reason for the Mark 4, if I get the FFP for a good deal, basically at cost but until the deal closes and its a FFP, its not a done deal. And searching around the web, almost all custom built gun builders show the Mark 4 with NF being the #2 seen, not that it matters just stating a fact I saw.

NF for a SP is about $1800 here and if I go this route, why not add to it for a USO. Plus, I think NF are HUGE and heavy and I hate the rotating eye. I would not get the Mark 4 for $1700 but since I think I can for $1400 or less, its in my budget.

If it's a S&B that you really want then buy a SS or Falcon or something else in the $400-500 range and you will be 1/3 of your way closer to a S&B.

If you buy the Mk4 you will be out of cash and still not have what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">id buy the F1 nightforce in MLR/milrad </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <<SNIPPED> For all who may, not interested in NF at all.

Thanks </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics are subjective, but "I" did not see an appreciable difference between the Mk4 I looked at and my Falcon. The Falcon trumps the Mk4 in the features department and mine has been durable.
</div></div>

Does the Falcon have better glass than the Leupold in your opinion? What features does the Falcon "trump" the Mark 4 in?

I might have to take a look at one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics are subjective, but "I" did not see an appreciable difference between the Mk4 I looked at and my Falcon. The Falcon trumps the Mk4 in the features department and mine has been durable.
</div></div>

Does the Falcon have better glass than the Leupold in your opinion? <span style="font-weight: bold">What features does the Falcon "trump" the Mark 4 in</span>?

I might have to take a look at one. </div></div>

You can get matching ret/knobs on the Falcon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can get matching ret/knobs on the Falcon.</div></div>

That's the rumor. May or may not be the case. If so, I would think that would be the only "feature" that the Falcon has an advantage in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can get matching ret/knobs on the Falcon.</div></div>

That's the rumor. May or may not be the case. If so, I would think that would be the only "feature" that the Falcon has an advantage in. </div></div>

Why do you call it a rumor? as far as that being the only feature that the falcon has an advantage in, I think the price of the falcon is another "feature" where it beats the crap out of the MK4.

I have looked through both and I was not very impressed with the MK4.