• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snap Caps

GHatfield

Minuteman
Does anyone have a good source for quality snap caps in .338 win mag?

All of the reviews on the A-Zoom snap caps I have read are not good. Most stated the practice round would not chamber.

Any suggestions are appreciated as I would like to purchase a set for dry-fire practice.

Re: Snap Caps

Snap caps are not needed for 99% of center fire rifles. Just dry fire away.

I do use snap caps or dummy rounds when I am training for speed. Feeding a round changes the way the bolt cycles. Snap caps for trigger training just distracts from the goal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Snap caps for trigger training just distracts from the goal. </div></div>

Can I ask why? I understand if they're not needed, but what would it take away from the goal?

Not an argument, I use them for both dry firing and bolt manipulation training.
And if I'm not getting the best training I can I need to change my methods.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can I ask why? I understand if they're not needed, but what would it take away from the goal?</div></div>

Because now you are worried about keeping track of the snap caps, placing them back in the magazine, etc.

If I am working on trigger control, that is the only thing I want to think about. Its all about PERFECT practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you know someone who reloads, have them make you a dummy round and use a pencil eraser as the primer. </div></div>

Why? What do you think a pencil eraser is going to do?

The dummy rounds that REMINGTON issues at their Armorers course are just bullets seated in (blackened) brass.

I dont even know why they make snap caps for a little more you could just replace the spring if it ever gets bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can I ask why? I understand if they're not needed, but what would it take away from the goal?</div></div>

Because now you are worried about keeping track of the snap caps, placing them back in the magazine, etc.

If I am working on trigger control, that is the only thing I want to think about. Its all about PERFECT practice. </div></div>

Thanks I guess I never thought about it that way, practice one thing at a time and eliminate everything else.

I only use snap caps for 1st time shooters when introducing an automatic pistol. It makes me a lot less nervous when someone is able to load a magazine, cycle the slide, and manipulate the pistol with inert rounds.

The only use I could think of for inert rifle rounds is to sneak one into the magazine of a new shooter. His not knowing which round would go "click" would expose any trigger control issues when the sear broke.

Aside from this, I agree with the above comments on them not being necessary.

They may not be necessary in most cases, but there are many manufacturers that recommend use of snap caps when dry-firing their firearms. There are also many reports online of broken strikers and firing pins due to neglect to use a snap cap. It seems like if the firing pin or striker is designed with the expectation that a primer will intercept the pin's motion at some point in its travel and absorb energy imparted to the pin by a hammer or spring, then not having the primer there (or some object designed to absorb energy and simulate a primer) would place extra wear/stress on some part of the firearm not designed to handle that stress.

I use snap caps in all of my firearms when dry firing for this reason. It would be nice to not have to worry about keeping track of the snap caps, but its also not worth the risk of damaging part of an expensive firearm.