• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Snapping In

Helidriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Hey Guys. When I was in the Corps we did an exercise call snapping in with our service rifles. Dry firing to put it short. I sure most of you knew that already. If I use a snap cap and do the same exercise is it going to cause unnecessary wear to my bolt gun? I will do it all day long with my ARs but I have limited knowledge to the limitations and mechanics of a bolt gun.

Re: Snapping In

The need of snap-caps on a boltgun are debated.
I've done my share of dry-fires, all without a snap cap, and my rifle is doing just fine.

Dry fire probably won't harm your bolt action centerfire rifle; I would't like to do it with a rimfire. Never hurts to use a snap cap.

I don't dryfire, I shoot the .22. Immediate gratification, or; it all works better when you can see genuine results. Like sex, it's better when you're doing it for real.

I also graduated PI and clearly remember snapping in. Afterward, for as long as I shot National Match, I would snap in at the beginning of each season, and do my stretches before each match got started.

By my estimate, it's more about the physical aspect; building muscle memory, improving flexibility and range of motion.

Doing the basic shooting positions does not work well unless the body is trained to handle it with comparative ease.

Shooting is a physical activity. You can usually recognize the more serious shooters by the way they do their stretches before the match gets underway.

Greg

Your question is already answered - it won't hurt your centerfire bolt gun to dry fire. As an FYI - you don't want to dry fire a rimfire because the firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber and can cause unnecessary wear or break the firing pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Shooting is a physical activity. You can usually recognize the more serious shooters by the way they do their stretches before the match gets underway.

Greg </div></div>

"I don't believe in it. You ever see a lion limber up before it tackles a gazelle?"
couldn't resist...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I don't believe in it. You ever see a lion limber up before it tackles a gazelle?"
couldn't resist... </div></div>
I see what ya did there...