• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Snattle Rakes

_RJ_

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
OR, AK
2qm3vgg.jpg

I'll post more later

Re: Snattle Rakes

Did your healer chew the heads off of 'em?

I guess they did not from Alaska...they will make nice hat bands.

One of the guys I carpool with uses their skins to make custom pens. He gets about 3-4 pens out of the lil one and sell em for about 85-100 a piece. Then he casts the head in acrylic with the mouth open and makes a bottle topper out of that. There be money in those if you put in the work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only good snake is a dead one. </div></div>

^^^^^
+1, what A-hull said!

I'm in Oregon until I finish up school, then back to Alaska. I skin the snakes, cure them and then just hang up their pelts. My dog (Tessa) does not kill the snakes, but she can fuck up a badger. I can't find the pics of past kills, but here are two from this morning.

2rm19qe.jpg

Here's the wife and my dog checking out her trout.

2ivmmut.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the guys I carpool with uses their skins to make custom pens. He gets about 3-4 pens out of the lil one and sell em for about 85-100 a piece. Then he casts the head in acrylic with the mouth open and makes a bottle topper out of that. There be money in those if you put in the work.</div></div> A bottle opener thats a snake head!! Sweet! I FKN hate snakes!

You sure that one on the right is legal size for take?
smile.gif

I need to look more to find some snakes around here. I've had farmed rattle snake before (gimmick at a restaurant in AZ) but never wild.

No idea how to clean or cook them, but I'd be willing to try.

I hate rattle snakes and we have way too many here in AZ! Even though my dogs are snake broke when we come scross one bird hunting it is quickly introduced to some lead in its diet.

Keep killin' 'em RJ!

I've gotten about a half dozen this year. Haven't been seeing as many as years past. Took this one out with a 12" Crescent wrench...

IMAG1062.jpg

IMAG1063.jpg

This makes me very happy!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotten about a half dozen this year. Haven't been seeing as many as years past. Took this one out with a 12" Crescent wrench.. </div></div>

I don't mind them if I see them first, like on the road while I'm in a pickup
laugh.gif
. But being surprised by one on a sneak up to an antelope would not be much fun for me...

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

I'm not scared of snakes but you have to respect something so small that can put you in the hospital.

However, there's only four types of snakes I don't like.... Long, Short, Live and Dead.

Brandon

I've only seen one rattler in WI.

A giant Timber Rattler, and it was calm as could be... me on the other hand not so much! I guess they're a protected species in WI, so I'm glad I didn't kill it!

Nice snakes everyone. I've been seeing a lot of snakes this year. Hell we've been seeing them steadily since February. I've also been seeing a lot of rubber boas. I love those little guys. So if you see one don't kill 'em. They eat other snake eggs, mice, and other small rodents.

Is there any part of the US that doesn't have rattle snakes? apart from Alaska.

I see someone mentioned having their dogs trained to avoid them, you must lose a lot of hunting dogs if not? and how do you train the dogs to be snake cautious?

Sorry about all the questions, I have a fear/fascination about snakes. I can't even begin to think of the complications I would have working here in the UK with rattle snakes. We do have adders but they are minor league compared to most venomous snakes, not that I would want myself or my dogs to get bitten by one.

I took my family to Lake Whitney State Park for several days of camping and fishing a few months ago. While down there on the 2nd day we were fishing from the rocky shore about 25 yards from where we were the previous day. I had stepped down to get closer to the water and began fishing from a large slanted rock. I took a side step to my left when I heard a short hiss/rattle. I looked over my shoulder to see what my kids were doing because I thought they made the sound. Once I saw they were with my wife about 10 yards away I looked down and saw this basking in the sun about 5 feet from me. Since we were in a state park and there were other campers nearby I didn't shoot it, but called the Park Rangers to come and get it (biggest regret...should have smashed its head in with an axe). It turned out to be about 5 feet long and ended up relocated in the park elsewhere.

429508_3529462764142_1499413335_3125515_492164730_n.jpg

419690_3529460044074_1499413335_3125510_1713013291_n.jpg

426222_3529471884370_1499413335_3125531_1358940727_n.jpg

418401_3529482924646_1499413335_3125549_930362374_n.jpg

416823_3529451123851_1499413335_3125497_276696084_n.jpg

423219_3529476604488_1499413335_3125540_826527445_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in Oregon until I finish up school, then back to Alaska. I skin the snakes, cure them and then just hang up their pelts. My dog (Tessa) does not kill the snakes, but she can fuck up a badger. I can't find the pics of past kills, but here are two from this morning.

2rm19qe.jpg

Here's the wife and my dog checking out her trout.

2ivmmut.jpg
What's the sub-species on these? Similar to a diamondback but similar to a timber in the tail area. Just curious because we have both and those look different.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any part of the US that doesn't have rattle snakes? apart from Alaska.

I see someone mentioned having their dogs trained to avoid them, you must lose a lot of hunting dogs if not? and how do you train the dogs to be snake cautious?

Sorry about all the questions, I have a fear/fascination about snakes. I can't even begin to think of the complications I would have working here in the UK with rattle snakes. We do have adders but they are minor league compared to most venomous snakes, not that I would want myself or my dogs to get bitten by one. </div></div>

I'm glad I live where the venomous snakes make noise. I have some family in Louisiana; to hell with water moccasins, cotton mouths, copperheads, etc...

I've seen my share of nasty crawlers in central america, like otheres said, a good snake is a dead one.
good work keeping the population low

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any part of the US that doesn't have rattle snakes? apart from Alaska.

Sorry about all the questions, I have a fear/fascination about snakes. I can't even begin to think of the complications I would have working here in the UK with rattle snakes. We do have adders but they are minor league compared to most venomous snakes, not that I would want myself or my dogs to get bitten by one. </div></div>

They use a live rattle snake and walk the dog close to it and shock the dog with a shock collar. There are a few different methods as far as the snake but most everyone uses a shock collar on the dog. The goal is to teach them to avoid the scent, sight, and sound. I have always had my bird dogs snake broke and now get them the rattlesnake prebite shots.

The snake on the plate looks good, how do you cook them?

Poor ol' croatalus!

Snakes have their place. Can't tolerate them around the house the dog or the kids of course, but they sure keep down the rodents.

Most folks in this part of the country will run over any snake they see on the road. Most are gopher snakes, but they can't tell the difference.

I make a habit of chasing the live ones off the road and back down into the canyon. The Good Lord put them there for a reason!

Cheers... Jim