• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sneak peak at Whiskey-3 Chassis

Massoud

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
Boise area, Idaho
www.krg-ops.com
We have some pics up on our site of one of the earlier prototypes, however we've changed a few things so we thought we'd give you guys a preview.

The Whiskey-3 Chassis is a modular stock for multiple actions. Right now we are concentrating on the Tikka T3 version, in a fixed configuration. A folding rear section is in testing, and currently, a fixed back end can be switched to a folder after swapping out a few parts. Future actions will likely include the Sako M995 and the TRG's, and others depending on demand.

A little background: Our first idea was to make a folding stock for the TRG that was more affordable than the Sako version, so we built one. Then we had the idea for the magazine conversion for the TRG, which meant we had to make our own "backbone". At that point, we were a forend away from a complete stock, and the T3 is a good action in need of some good stock options. The forend is modeled somewhat on the TRG forend to keep the lines similar when using our parts on Sakos. At some point we will likely offer our forend by itself for the TRG, for guys wanting an aluminum forend with all the mounting points and such. So this is why our chassis looks similar to a TRG, and we really like the looks of the TRG anyway!

Adjustments as you see here are spacers for the LOP and a hex wrench for the cheek. Hex wrench adjustment on the cheek piece gives you basically infinite positions within the adjustment range, as opposed to set intervals of a quick adjust detent style setup.

We have considered doing a model with quick adjust on the LOP and cheek. We'd like to hear what you guys think.

Some features that are not seen or difficult to see:
-Picatinny rail on buttstock (currently covered by removable butthook/bag rider)
-there's an Anshutz rail in the forearm, along with mounting holes at various positions
-For the grip, there is the possibility of different size grip panels in the future
-V-bedding channel and a hardened stainless recoil lug
-Mounting points for QD sling cups, bipod studs, etc
ETA:
-AICS mags
-Can swap cheek piece around to have it extend further forward to get close to action, or further rearward to take out bolt without moving cheek (again if we do quick adjust cheek then this is moot)

Price: hard to say exactly at this point, but the fixed version will be under 1k.

Okay thanks for looking and let's hear any feedback you might have
Justin

w3c-rifle.jpg

Re: Sneak peak at Whiskey-3 Chassis

Looks awesome, Justin. I'd say a quick adjust cheek piece and LOP would definitely be the way to go.

The buttstock looks more complicated than it has to be. Is there a way to simplify it without compromising structural integrity?

I just see it and it makes me wonder about snagging on things, or things getting caught up in it.

Mammal, thanks! We've got a system for the LOP designed but for the cheek we would want to have small intervals of adjustment.

Oddball, it looks more complicated than it is. The entire green back end is cut from solid billet. It actually makes things simpler than our previous design. To avoid snags, we could not cut all the way through, for the lightening pockets, leaving a thin bit of metal instead of a hole all the way through. We did a design this way but it looked funny. Maybe I'll post a pic if this is a common concern.

Thanks guys,
Justin

I would love to see it for Remy 700 action. Where are you located in CO? Woud there be any chance of feeling it in person?

I might have missed it, but what mag do you plan to use?

That looks even better than Sako's version for their TRG!

I'd like to see it kept with quick LOP adjust, but if the cheek piece doesn't get in the way of bolt removal, then I don't see any benefit to quick adjustment cheek piece. The options of different grip sizes will be a great addition. I see a couple of screw holes up front, is that for mounting a front rail system for NV, etc?

Are the Tikka and Sako actions the same? I've been looking into my next rifle, which I'd like to have a .260 (or some varient in 6.5mm), and this looks like its shaping up to be a nice option for a build. I look forward to seeing how this developes.

So is the current folding butt compatible with a TRG forend or only with the KRG?

CSS- Sorry I forgot to mention AICS mags, and they run smoothly so far.

Steelhead- Thanks! Also forgot to mention you can flip cheekpiece around, so with short section in front you can remove bolt. Guys who want long section in front to get their nose right up close will have to remove cheekpiece. Unless we do quick adjust anyway. It's still undecided pending your feedback.
Screw holes are for future NV over-the-barrel mount, or adding rail on side, or adding QD cup on side.

T3 and TRG actions are similar in outward appearance but dimensions are all different.

Mammal, current folder is TRG compatible, it just requires a different set of grips. This is because the TRG forend is about 1/4" lower than our forend where the forend meets the backend. It's an aesthetic issue. If you didn't mind the mismatch, you could put that backend with those grips you see in the pic on your TRG and go shooting.

please more detail photos action etc. ... thanks ...

UncleBenji,
We are planning to have a range day around the 11-13th in Longmont. You could come check it out at that time. If that doesn't work, pm me and we could work something out.
Justin

How about making the cheekpiece rotationally quick adjust? That way you could have the long end forward and just rotate it to get the bolt out, thus not having to mess with your height adjustment.

That's an interesting idea, the cheek piece could either tilt or swivel out of the way. Would need a simple, strong mechanism though

I'd like a little longer "shoe" where the rear bag rides, the prototype in the later photo looks longer.

I really like a short flat with a ramped area in front for fast elevation adjustments.

I've got a T3 .223 on the way and this looks very interesting.

How much does that rifle in the pic weigh without the scope?

I'm envisioning a 284Win,Tikka T3 with your stock system in the future
grin.gif

Hellbender- we are considering a base model without any shoe provided, just the rail. Then offering different length shoes. If we did a base model though, it likely would have other differences like no quick adjust features, or no Anschutz rail. We'd love to hear your opinions.

Steve, I think it's 10lbs. I'll have to double check. The stock is a little more than the TRG stock, because it's all metal (except grip panels and cheek piece).

Stan, price for fixed will be under 1k, not sure exactly how far. Folder will be more than fixed of course, but we won't know until we fully prove out all the folding mechanism components.

I'll try to get a weight of just the stock. I have it somewhere for the old style but the new style is a touch lighter.

We are not setting any firm dates on orders/delivery, a lesson learned from Magpul, haha. But we were originally trying to have it ready by Christmas. We probably won't make that goal, but I don't see us missing it by six months or anything.

Thanks for the interest guys,
Justin

One thing I like about the TRG is that the stock is deeper at the magazine. This way the rifle can be carried with one hand fairly comfortably.

With your version, the mag sticks way out, would be uncomfortable to carry with one hand on the balance point.

-Steve

I think a base model with many "options" would be nice, then you could choose what parts you need and would keep the cost down.

I really don't need "quick" adjust anything, once I get it set and adjusted, I don't change anything on the go. It's cool but not really needed, IMO.

You do need to be able to get the cheek piece out of the way of the bolt w/o tools.

Looks like an interesting design (with a lot of work input on your end!).

Well, whenever it's ready and you're ready for orders, sign me up as customer #1! Would like the folder and will use it to switch it out between the T3Tac and TRG.

Thanks for the interest and comments guys! Definitely good points being raised here.

c1Steve, I too like what Sako did with their forend. However, there is some drawbacks. Due to the shape and size, their forend had to be made from cast polyurethane, whereas we wanted aluminum. Also I don't think I carry my TRG right under the mag, and I know for the Whiskey-3, it's comfortable for me to carry just in front of the mag. At any rate, Sako is the only stock that I can recall that covers a mag like that, even the AICS only covers a 5rd mag. Like we always say, Sako did a good job on that rifle.

That does bring up a good point, and one I forgot to mention. Our intention is to eventually offer different forends, or attachments. For example, we are thinking of doing a 3" wide F-class attachment so it would ride a front bag better. We've considered a tapered prone style attachment, and a lightweight, minimalist forend. Along with the forend stuff will be other modular accessories like the over the barrel NV rail, QD bipod mount, etc.

Justin

I love the idea of a truly modular system Justin. Will save me from buying different rifles when I can change out the stock.

Josh

We definitely are thinking modularity, within reason of course.

Also, the weight as seen of just the chassis(without bipod, mag, or optic) is 5lb 2oz. Production version will likely be lighter since this proto doesn't have all the lightening cuts.

Justin

Can these be set up for any action? Or are you only going to offer them for Sako TRG's ?

The complete Whiskey-3 will be for the Tikka T3 for now. The back end will fit a TRG. Later we will offer the whole thing for a TRG, as well as the M995 and whatever else people want and we can fit in there. Thanks,
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The complete Whiskey-3 will be for the Tikka T3 for now. The back end will fit a TRG. Later we will offer the whole thing for a TRG, as well as the <span style="font-weight: bold">M995</span> and whatever else people want and we can fit in there. Thanks,
Justin </div></div>

This would be a dream come true. I have a M995 safe queen that I've been waiting for something like this.

Looks good but the rear of the stock seems a little busy. Look forward
to seeing how it evolves.

Gents, how do you feel about the Anschutz rail in the forend? Necessary or no, and why do you feel that way?

buffybuster, the cool thing about the M995/TRG-s is that you can put on a TRG trigger. What caliber is yours?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents, how do you feel about the Anschutz rail in the forend? Necessary or no, and why do you feel that way? </div></div>

Anschutz rails are great for the few shooters out there that know what they are, how to use them and realize their benefit over that of a much "cooler looking" picatinny rail. Who is your target customer? The "Tactical" or the "Tacti-cool"?

What I look for in a stock forearm is the functionality of the shape, the stiffness, lightweight and the ability to channel air flow around the barrel during periods of rapid fire.

My current stock has the Anschutz rail, but I'd like it to have air vents running parallel to the rail forcing cooling air from the bottom of the stock and past the barrel. This sort of mini chimney effect, caused by convection air currents, would enable the barrel to cool faster.

However, I have yet to see this concept built into a mass production tactical rifle stock yet.

Great project, I wish you the best.

Ranger, you bring up several good points. I admit that I didn't really care to have the rail on the TRG, I just mount up a Harris on a sling stud. There's a bit of a cost savings by getting rid of it of course.

Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranger, you bring up several good points. I admit that I didn't really care to have the rail on the TRG, I just mount up a Harris on a sling stud. There's a bit of a cost savings by getting rid of it of course.

Justin

</div></div>

If you're not going to have the rail, I would recommend either the slot in the front of the stock for the traditional TRG bipod, or the new Atlas adapter for the Atlas bipod, but I think relying on the Harris would be ill advised.

Mike, I agree. There is a slot in front on the one you see here. The Atlas adapter should fit it but we don't have one in hand to confirm. Allegedly there was at one time a rail mount coming out to fit the TRG slot (and therefore the Whiskey-3 also). We've done up a one off QD mount for the Harris that fits the slot. Someone else here might be coming out with one, but if they don't, it will likely be a future product from us.

We have been hard at work on the Whiskey-3. In a week or two we will take pre-orders through our mailing list (we will reserve some spots for those not on mailing list). The pre-orders will be to reserve one, not to collect money. The number of pre-orders will dictate when we start the next production run. Thanks,
Justin

What about an option for those with a TRG Mags and like the fact that the 10 rounders ar not really long, feed great and don't rattle like a 74 ford? Would it be possible to use the stock mags in a folder?

I have never heard about a mag function complaint with the Sakos, it's the price that is the show stopper.Why has no one made a trg mag like they do all the others? Seems to be a large market for a quality product.

Jon, we are big fans of the TRG mags, as they are well built and compact as you mentioned. If there is enough interest, we will look into making the Whiskey-3 (Tikka version) compatible with TRG mags.

I suspect that someone is planning on making a TRG mag, but so far I haven't heard anything, and it may be difficult to clone.

Another option for some actions is the AW mag, however it won't work in everything.

Thanks guys!
Chief, we will take pre-orders on announcement in our newsletter. So if you want first shot, I would suggest signing up (click on "contact us" on our website). We'll make plenty though, enshah allah! You can even look at one in person after SHOT, I'm down in the Springs all the time.
Justin

Outstanding! Looking forward to it. Probably won't get in on the ground floor though...just plunked down a decent chunk of cash on a Gemtech HVT-QD and a SilencerCo 45 Osprey. Would love to see it though.

There won't be any color options for the first run. However we may offer different colors on subsequent production runs. If you have something you're looking for, please feel free to post it here or send it to us via the "contact us" on the website. Thanks,
Justin

Justin,

Will there be a time where you will offer the folding rear as a separate item for TRG's?

Mav,
Yes in the future you will be able to purchase either a folding or fixed back end to fit a TRG or any other W3's you have. If all goes well, the folder should be done by mid year but it's hard to say, could be sooner...or later. Latest version will be at SHOT if you're going (in Badger Ordnance booth with M2008 action in it). Thanks,
Justin