• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Post Exchange Negotiations Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wade2big

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
The one thing that stands out the most in the exchange here is that guys either don’t know how to negotiate or are afraid to do so. I beleive with “buy it now button” mentality that the skill is becoming lost which in turn less deals are made which isn’t good for anyone.

The most common mistake I see is where I will make an offer on an item and I get a “No Thanks” and nothing else. Good job seller you just shut down negotiations and your potential buyer walked away. With slightly more effort a counter offer could have been made that keeps conversation fluid which in turn increases the odds of selling the item. This rarely happens on this site.

I would wager that it works the other way as well. A “buy it now” buyer sees an item that is just out of reach. Instead of making an offer that more suits him, he moves along when an offer could have been made and a possible deal could have been reached which would have been a win for both buyer and seller.

I bet most of the sellers and buyers here get hung in the ass when they buy their trucks, cellphone plans, sattelite bills, etc. ?

Anyhoo.... I been studying up on my negotiating tactics and skills, and I even took an online course and got a C minus!

Here's one of the instructional videos we learned from.
They talk kinda funny. I'm guessing India or Pakistan?
They do a lot of negotiating in Europe.

The most common mistake I see is where I will make an offer on an item and I get a “No Thanks” and nothing else.

I don’t write this off as a mistake, actually. At least not as a broad statement. In some cases they may be doing so because they lack negotiation skills, sure, but I’ve done it many times before where my price is firm. Often the ad states such, and I still get goobers offering me substantially less than what the ad is listed at. I either ignore those guys, or give a simple no thanks and move on. If they can’t be bothered to read my entire ad before contacting me (or at LEAST scanning the ad since the whole “no trades, price is firm” can be found within a few words of the price), then why should I think they’ll read my reply? Really depends on the situation, IMO.

I agree with much of what you have to say on this subject, however I get tired of the ridiculous lowball offers here.

I have found that asking the seller “Is $2300 your best?” Works well and at least gets the conversation moving.

If the buyer doesn’t even respond at all to the above approach I make a note to not deal with them again.

If I am the seller and the buyer doesn’t have to courtesy to respond to my counter offer with a “no thanks” I am done with them in the future as well.

If listed as “FIRM” I don’t ask.

Reactions: Nik H and Basher
both sides of the coin here,

partially, the buy it now button as suggested

partially, readers not reading the whole thread for other info which may have been stated

partially, the craigslist effect: send out low ball offers and see who bites..."hey, i might get lucky"

I don’t write this off as a mistake, actually. At least not as a broad statement. In some cases they may be doing so because they lack negotiation skills, sure, but I’ve done it many times before where my price is firm. Often the ad states such, and I still get goobers offering me substantially less than what the ad is listed at. I either ignore those guys, or give a simple no thanks and move on. If they can’t be bothered to read my entire ad before contacting me (or at LEAST scanning the ad since the whole “no trades, price is firm” can be found within a few words of the price), then why should I think they’ll read my reply? Really depends on the situation, IMO.
Listing the price as firm is also a mistake. You would sell the item quicker starting at a slightly higher price and working down to your real price. Stating “firm” turns off many potential buyers that would have paid that price in negotiations.

To prove my point, look at the auction sites. Penny starters will sale for more than the higher listed price and even buy it now items. This isnt an auction site but buyers like to take part in the sale if you can understand that.

Its the sellers choice to do whatever he/she chooses. He doesnt like your offer and says no thanks, you can just as easily counter with another offer....If not, then you choose to walk away. If they dont want to sell it for that price, they dont have to. Some dont need to sell anything and could care less that a buyer walks away. I dont think it has anything to do with negotiating skills. Some dont care, some dont want to sell for anything less than the price they have it listed for and dont care to waste time haggling below that price.

Thats the beauty of it, the seller can do whatever he wants. Regardless if someone thinks or wants that item for cheaper than the listed price. In regards to low ball offers, the saying goes, it never hurts to ask.....You arent obligated to respond if that low ball offer hurt your feelings.

I don't mind negotiating, but the 1/2 price or less lowball offers are annoying. This isn't Pawn Stars.
Offering 1/2 of the asking price is a true lowball unless the seller is over the top already which in case he wouldnt be reasonable to work with anyhow.

Lots of guys think offering less than they are asking is a lowball offer. Its not. Some will get offended and it shows. Take off your panties gentleman.

Its the sellers choice to do whatever he/she chooses. He doesnt like your offer and says no thanks, you can just as easily counter with another offer....If not, then you choose to walk away. If they dont want to sell it for that price, they dont have to. Some dont need to sell anything and could care less that a buyer walks away. I dont think it has anything to do with negotiating skills. Some dont care, some dont want to sell for anything less than the price they have it listed for and dont care to waste time haggling below that price.

Thats the beauty of it, the seller can do whatever he wants. Regardless if someone thinks or wants that item for cheaper than the listed price. In regards to low ball offers, the saying goes, it never hurts to ask.....You arent obligated to respond if that low ball offer hurt your feelings.
You are correct as the seller can do what he wants such as keeping the item he is trying to sell in the first place because thats what will happen. My point is far more sales could be completed which is a win win for both involved.

The one thing that stands out the most in the exchange here is that guys either don’t know how to negotiate or are afraid to do so. I beleive with “buy it now button” mentality that the skill is becoming lost which in turn less deals are made which isn’t good for anyone.

The most common mistake I see is where I will make an offer on an item and I get a “No Thanks” and nothing else. Good job seller you just shut down negotiations and your potential buyer walked away. With slightly more effort a counter offer could have been made that keeps conversation fluid which in turn increases the odds of selling the item. This rarely happens on this site.

I would wager that it works the other way as well. A “buy it now” buyer sees an item that is just out of reach. Instead of making an offer that more suits him, he moves along when an offer could have been made and a possible deal could have been reached which would have been a win for both buyer and seller.

I bet most of the sellers and buyers here get hung in the ass when they buy their trucks, cellphone plans, sattelite bills, etc. ?

I think I have slightly above average skill as a negotiator. Generally I pay less for new cars, four wheelers, dirtbikes ect than most of my neighbors do. When selling/trading cars I think I get more for mine than most people do.

For the most part the few things I have sold on the hide I have thought carefully about the item, it's value and what I need to get for it and listed it for that price. I don't need offers at a lower price. Should I decide to sell at a lower price I will change the price listed in the auction, and that will be because I have rethought the process above. What I list here I am not going to list at a higher price to leave room for negotiation.

On the other end, I often see something listed that I would like to have at a different price. In that case, when I feel that my offer would not be regarded an an insult, I may shoot an offer. For example: Would you be interested in $99 friend to friend shipped for the tripod head? Then if the guy wants to sell for $99 he can reply with payment instructions. If He is not interested, no reply is necessary, a simple "no thanks" is a generous gift if his time.

I find the idea that an offer for less than I want to sell something for contains the hook that I must begin a process to seek some accommodation to be wrong. The accommodation I offer is that when you pay me what I am willing to sell the item for then I will ship it to you. If I am not interested in a lower price then I would be wasting my time and yours to tell you anything beyond "no thanks."

I think I have slightly above average skill as a negotiator. Generally I pay less for new cars, four wheelers, dirtbikes ect than most of my neighbors do. When selling/trading cars I think I get more for mine than most people do.

For the most part the few things I have sold on the hide I have thought carefully about the item, it's value and what I need to get for it and listed it for that price. I don't need offers at a lower price. Should I decide to sell at a lower price I will change the price listed in the auction, and that will be because I have rethought the process above. What I list here I am not going to list at a higher price to leave room for negotiation.

On the other end, I often see something listed that I would like to have at a different price. In that case, when I feel that my offer would not be regarded an an insult, I may shoot an offer. For example: Would you be interested in $99 friend to friend shipped for the tripod head? Then if the guy wants to sell for $99 he can reply with payment instructions. If He is not interested, no reply is necessary, a simple "no thanks" is a generous gift if his time.

I find the idea that an offer for less than I want to sell something for contains the hook that I must begin a process to seek some accommodation to be wrong. The accommodation I offer is that when you pay me what I am willing to sell the item for then I will ship it to you. If I am not interested in a lower price then I would be wasting my time and yours to tell you anything beyond "no thanks."
I hardly believe your first paragraph considering you followed it with the second. Lol.

Even if you don’t want to budge on your price, mistake in my book, replying back in one or two words is a shut down whether intended or not. It may have cost you a deal even at your asking price. Explain in a few short sentences and the buyer may bite at your asking price. You may connect with the buyer in that short time. Playing hardball can work. You just have to actually play.

You are correct as the seller can do what he wants such as keeping the item he is trying to sell in the first place because thats what will happen. My point is far more sales could be completed which is a win win for both involved.

Not true at all. I have items that sit for months in the PX that are brand new, below what you can go buy that item for anywhere else but only receive low ball offers for. Those items eventually sell to the right person.

Your thought process that someone should keep something and not list it because you or anyone else says it wont sell at that price is crazy.

And your missing the point. Some people dont need the money, dont care about the sale. They list it because they dont NEED that item and are making it available to someone that might. At the price they listed it for. If nobody bites right away, I could care less.

Not true at all. I have items that sit for months in the PX that are brand new, below what you can go buy that item for anywhere else but only receive low ball offers for. Those items eventually sell to the right person.

Your thought process that someone should keep something and not list it because you or anyone else says it wont sell at that price is crazy.
You are misunderstanding me completely. I have never said or inferred what you think I did.

Some folks don't like to negotiate and list a price as firm to avoid long conversations that may bear no fruit. Others like to bargain/banter until the cows come home. Different strokes for different folks.

I hardly believe your first paragraph considering you followed it with the second. Lol.

Even if you don’t want to budge on your price, mistake in my book, replying back in one or two words is a shut down whether intended or not. It may have cost you a deal even at your asking price. Explain in a few short sentences and the buyer may bite at your asking price. You may connect with the buyer in that short time. Playing hardball can work. You just have to actually play.

Wade, I am going to educate you on the art of negotiating, because you are not as good as you think you are, the first rule to winning at a negotiating is to be in a frame of mind where you do not need to make a deal. I do not need to sell you anything. I would much rather wait for some one who wants the item for the price I want for it, than sell it to you.

If you dislike my tone, that is fine. But, over time you will come to realize that what I am telling you is correct.

You are misunderstanding me completely. I have never said or inferred what you think I did.

I didnt misunderstand anything, you just said that above and I quote:

"You are correct as the seller can do what he wants such as keeping the item he is trying to sell in the first place because thats what will happen."

Some folks don't like to negotiate and list a price as firm to avoid long conversations that may bear no fruit. Others like to bargain/banter until the cows come home. Different strokes for different folks.
You are absolutely correct. The first group of people pay more for items in everyday life and have a tougher time selling off anything. There is no right or wrong.

You are absolutely correct. The first group of people pay more for items in everyday life and have a tougher time selling off anything. There is no right or wrong.

There is one thing in life I can never buy more of, time. My life is made up of minutes, and there are only so many of them. I'm not going to use my minutes haggling with someone who wants to buy a $300 barrel for $275.

I don't mind negotiating at all from either direction. I have found and bought some nice gear on hear by negotiating a better price when there's some wiggle room and also jumped straight on items without negotiating when it's obviously a deal.
The last rifle I built every component with the exception of the trigger was bought from members here and would have also used the trigger but it wasnt a good match for the trigger hanger so I'm now selling it for what I paid for that was more than a fair price.

Reactions: wade2big
Wade, I am going to educate you on the art of negotiating, because you are not as good as you think you are, the first rule to winning at a negotiating is to be in a frame of mind where you do not need to make a deal. I do not need to sell you anything. I would much rather wait for some one who wants the item for the price I want for it, than sell it to you.

If you dislike my tone, that is fine. But, over time you will come to realize that what I am telling you is correct.
I was picking on you in my first response to you. Maybe you didn't like my tone. lol.

I never said I was the best or even good. I started this thread to get opinions which I am getting a lot of and to maybe get my point across to a few as well..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maggot
I didnt misunderstand anything, you just said that above and I quote:

"You are correct as the seller can do what he wants such as keeping the item he is trying to sell in the first place because thats what will happen."
I meant that he will have a tougher time selling the item. Misunderstanding.

I try and leave room for negotiation on things I sell. When purchasing if I really need something I simply pay the asking price, if it's nice to have I might offer a little less than asking price. Extreme Lowball offers I normally ignore. What's a reasonable price... that's simply between the buyer and seller ==> E C O N O M I C S

Some will get offended and it shows. Take off your panties gentleman.

Hi,

Please tell me you see the Irony in that statement....as it is you that made a thread basically complaining that a seller told you no thanks on an item you wanted but seller evidently does not NEED to sell the item as bad as you thought they should.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Please tell me you see the Irony in that statement....as it is you that made a thread basically complaining that a seller told you no thanks on an item you wanted but seller evidently does not NEED to sell the item as bad as you thought they should.

Sincerely,
Theis
No thats not why I made the thread. I did it to get opinions and to share mine. Open dialogue and debate. Some guys may come out of this with slightly different opinions and views and that includes me. I knew going in many would disagree with me.

The take off your panties statement is referencing the guys that get butthurt when they receive am offer. It wasnt directed at anybody specifically. This whole thread isn’t directed at any ody specifically either.

To prove my point, look at the auction sites. Penny starters will sale for more than the higher listed price and even buy it now items.

So true. Ive seen that happen repeatedly. Ive watched a couple used Ebay items I was interested in go for more than retail new. Go figure.

Listing the price as firm is also a mistake. You would sell the item quicker starting at a slightly higher price and working down to your real price. Stating “firm” turns off many potential buyers that would have paid that price in negotiations.

To prove my point, look at the auction sites. Penny starters will sale for more than the higher listed price and even buy it now items. This isnt an auction site but buyers like to take part in the sale if you can understand that.

I can understand that, but again, it depends.

About half of the PMs I get on any forum regarding something I have for sale are the lazy ol’ “What’s the lowest you’ll take?” If I put a price and say it’s firm, then (wait for it!) THAT’S MY LOWEST PRICE! :ROFLMAO: If the item is priced within the market, and I’m unwilling to accept less, then there’s no need to negotiate in my mind. And now I can skip wasting my time replying to all the guys who don’t really want to negotiate, but just want to be as cheap as possible.

If they approach me the way Detroit mentions (with some courtesy and tact), then I’ll reply and maybe move forward. But the cheap-shot “tell me the least you’ll take” is an automatic axe from me. And again, if I’m priced in the market and don’t want to take any less, I’ll list it firm. I may drop it in time, but if I’m not ready to do so, then I won’t. I don’t HAVE to be willing to negotiate on everything. ;)

A thought, if many seem to be giving "list" price why not use those negotiating
skills to buy at a discount else where and sell here for a profit?...

R

I can understand that, but again, it depends.

About half of the PMs I get on any forum regarding something I have for sale are the lazy ol’ “What’s the lowest you’ll take?” If I put a price and say it’s firm, then (wait for it!) THAT’S MY LOWEST PRICE! :ROFLMAO: If the item is priced within the market, and I’m unwilling to accept less, then there’s no need to negotiate in my mind. And now I can skip wasting my time replying to all the guys who don’t really want to negotiate, but just want to be as cheap as possible.

If they approach me the way Detroit mentions (with some courtesy and tact), then I’ll reply and maybe move forward. But the cheap-shot “tell me the least you’ll take” is an automatic axe from me. And again, if I’m priced in the market and don’t want to take any less, I’ll list it firm. I may drop it in time, but if I’m not ready to do so, then I won’t. I don’t HAVE to be willing to negotiate on everything. ;)
We both agree that the “whats your lowest price you would take” offer is a no go. ? I get this offer a lot as well. This is very similar to the thread topic but reversed. It will shut a seller down quick. Asking this I will guarantee thay you won’t be getting the lowest price if any at all. It all goes back to the negotiating skills or lack there of.

Just reply back “At least the most you would pay and more than likely that won’t be enough. “. ?

Reactions: XLR308
A thought, if many seem to be giving "list" price why not use those negotiating
skills to buy at a discount else where and sell here for a profit?...

R
That is what bussinesses do. I am sure you arent talking about them though.

I guess you could nickel and dime a small profit but the little that could be made would bardly be worth the time or effort. Retailers work on larger margins. It would be risky to purchase a $2,000 scope to flip for $2200. Such a small profit margin with a large upfront cost.

I have done it before locally though a few times.

This thread reads like my last For Sale ad with the firm price noted in the description. :rolleyes: Had I wanted negotiating to commence it would had stated or best offer. :mad:

• Haha
this whole thread makes no sense

my price = you pay = you receive goods (unless it says OBO etc)

dont ask for anything else and i wont express any other needs

anything less than i asked is a waste of your time and mine

if the price is not selling i have to option to lower, wait or remove.

those options do not open the door for useless negotiations

thats how i run my business ( i sell around the world from the largest - Walmart to small mom and pop) , and how the real world world works. not yard sales that all the bins go in the trash the next day if they sell or not.

as said before, negotiate from a position of power not need.

on personal sales like scopes and what not, there have been times that i have eaten shipping or price concessions but that is after the "ill take it" has been posted.

then after i shoot a few PMs back and forth, i MAY like the guy or like his cause (brand new guy, wounded vet) that ill help him out $ wise.

ive actually given goods for free because i liked what i was hearing/reading.

but thats up to me, and if asked for....out the window

YMMV, but not in the real world

I watch Pawn Stars so I know how to negotiate.

As a seller, stick to your number if this is what you want to do. As a buyer, offer what you can afford and what you want to pay. Not everyone here wants to go back and forth.

this whole thread makes no sense

my price = you pay = you receive goods (unless it says OBO etc)

dont ask for anything else and i wont express any other needs

anything less than i asked is a waste of your time and mine

if the price is not selling i have to option to lower, wait or remove.

those options do not open the door for useless negotiations

thats how i run my business ( i sell around the world from the largest - Walmart to small mom and pop) , and how the real world world works. not yard sales that all the bins go in the trash the next day if they sell or not.

as said before, negotiate from a position of power not need.

on personal sales like scopes and what not, there have been times that i have eaten shipping or price concessions but that is after the "ill take it" has been posted.

then after i shoot a few PMs back and forth, i MAY like the guy or like his cause (brand new guy, wounded vet) that ill help him out $ wise.

ive actually given goods for free because i liked what i was hearing/reading.

but thats up to me, and if asked for....out the window

YMMV, but not in the real world
I couldnt disagree more. The real world is one big negotiation and compromise as is life.

This thread reads like my last For Sale ad with the firm price noted in the description. :rolleyes: Had I wanted negotiating to commence it would had stated or best offer. :mad:
I do respect the adds with the firm price. I usually won’t bother with them. The only time I have made an offer on one of those adds is if the item has been for sale a long time. Most guys are willing to move after a certain point. I do that very sparingly though.

OP reminds me of the guys roaming gun shows that ask your price then get irate. Symptomatic of modern society where someone's feelings are hurt so the rest of the world needs to change.

OP reminds me of the guys roaming gun shows that ask your price then get irate. Symptomatic of modern society where someone's feelings are hurt so the rest of the world needs to change.
I may remind you of that but that description is the furthest from the truth. This is a debate thread. Not a piss and moan thread.

Those who have to do a lot of negotiating on their asking price know they are asking too much, or are using that section as a business. Price it where it needs to be, what it's worth, and someone will buy it.

Reactions: Mr. Z and diverdon
I only have two gripes.
1) potential buyer makes offer within the thread and not via PM
2) "What the lowest you would take?" from someone. This is not a serious offer to buy, it's a fishing expedition. I never get these to work out. These people are the equivalent of taking something in to a pawn shop.

I couldnt disagree more. The real world is one big negotiation and compromise as is life.

There in lies the core problem in this thread.

assumptions and blanket statements

Compromise comes from position of weakness, never assume position of seller.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
The room for negotiation exists between the minimum a seller will take and the maximum a buyer will give. Some sellers tell you this number right off, as do some buyers. If these numbers do not overlap, here is no negotiation. This forum is built around a hobby. There are very few people shopping here because they NEED anything. A protracted negotiation is not worth the effort vast majority of this stuff.

If the price is right, buy it. If not, make the best offer you can.

If you NEED to sell something, list it on gunbroker with no reserve. You’ll get exactly what it is worth to the most interested buyer. If you WANT to sell something, list your best price here- the right buyer may or may not come along.

Either way, remember, it’s not personal.

There in lies the core problem in this thread.

assumptions and blanket statements

Compromise comes from position of weakness, never assume position of seller.
I promise you that every person makes compromises every single day without exception. When I replied to your statement I didnt confine my response to buying and selling items.

You are restricted everyday by the confines of morality, religion, pride, the law, etc. Without compromise, life would be a free for all.

Man thats deep and beyond this thread. Lol

I may remind you of that but that description is the furthest from the truth. This is a debate thread. Not a piss and moan thread.
Hardly pissing or moaning. Just sounds to me like you didn't get to buy something you wanted for what you wanted to spend, yet here we are 40-something posts later being coached by you on the art of compromising. Carry on.

Hardly pissing or moaning. Just sounds to me like you didn't get to buy something you wanted for what you wanted to spend, yet here we are 40-something posts later being coached by you on the art of compromising. Carry on.
Don't be an ass. Its a discussion and nothing more. At least 50 guys have made deals with me on this site alone and probably half that many has had conversations with me where no agreement was made. It is fine either way.

I buy and sell too dang much on here and many other places. I make deals all the time and lots of times I don't either by my choice or the other party. Like @hlee said, it's not personal. The thread was to make light of the lack of dialogue between buyers and sellers and to start a discussion on the topic to the benefit of everyone. What I am saying is not necessarily right just as what others are saying isn't necessarily wrong. We are supposed to debate and learn from each other when we can. Guys are free to do as they like. They can negotiate if they like, they can hold firm if they like, or they can be a dick as in your case if they like. I can respect that even if I disagree.

The room for negotiation exists between the minimum a seller will take and the maximum a buyer will give. Some sellers tell you this number right off, as do some buyers. If these numbers do not overlap, here is no negotiation. This forum is built around a hobby. There are very few people shopping here because they NEED anything. A protracted negotiation is not worth the effort vast majority of this stuff.

If the price is right, buy it. If not, make the best offer you can.

If you NEED to sell something, list it on gunbroker with no reserve. You’ll get exactly what it is worth to the most interested buyer. If you WANT to sell something, list your best price here- the right buyer may or may not come along.

Either way, remember, it’s not personal.
Very well said, but I think that when using a site like Gunbroker or Ebay with no reserve technically what you get is the minimum bid increment over what the second most interested buyer is willing to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.