• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Adventure Challenge ?’s

B4forever

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Central Oregon
So my good buddy and I have decided to compete in the Sniper Adventure Challenge in 2020. We are both current LE/SWAT, he’s a former Marine, and I’m a former Army Sniper. We have a decent amount of experience to draw from but I still have some questions. First question: What is the ultimate carbine setup? Is lightweight the ultimate goal or should I favor long range performance? And to piggyback this question, what is the ultimate carbine optic for this match? Second question: What is the ultimate pack for this competition. I’m leaning towards an EXO but I’m open to suggestions. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, maybe not specifically what you're looking for, but I was a range officer at the Competition Dynamics Burris Team Challenge and got a taste of what you might expect.
For the carbine, a low power variable optic would be my recommendation. Something like a 1-6x or a 1-8x. Spotting your hits/misses was key for the carbine guys to get on target on the further targets. There was a couples folks using 1x red dots, and 3x or 4x fixed scopes and they just weren't quite enough to spot marginal impacts. There were some close range targets, so the ability to dial down the magnification would be ideal.
Lightweight vs. long range performance - no right or wrong answer here. On the stage I RO'd the carbine guys were engaging targets out to about 600 yards. The lighter the better. I don't see any reason to be hauling around a 20" bull barrel, 18lb match rifle. Guys with 14.5" carbines were making hits just fine.
The EXO packs are one of the lightest options for rifle carry, but heavy on price. Eberlestocks are nice, but stupid heavy (the G4 operator weighs 10lbs empty!)

Hopefully someone with more specific experience can chime in with their suggestions!

That is excellent, thank you. I know it’s splitting hairs but I currently own a Proof 14.5” carbon, Battle Arms Development lightrigid 16”, and V Seven 18” fluted barrels. All 3 barrels are accurate and relatively light weight but I’m trying to chose the “perfect” setup.

Only you can say what the perfect setup is for you.

Which rifle do you’d shoot better? How fit are you in regards to carrying the weight of the rifles?

Point is, I’ll bet you will see just about every competitor carrying a slightly different configuration. The perfect rifle for you is the one that you can shoot fast and accurately and is going to be extremely reliable when put to hard use.

The SAC is less about shooting as it is about field skills and being able to quickly cross terrain. Id bring something light and functional as the shooting isn't as important as everything else for winning. There are numerous AARs about SAC across the internet.

For the Team Challenge Id definitely take something a little heavier and more accurate as the match is heavy on shooting fast AND accurately.

looks like fun, wish we had something like this on the east coast good luck !!