• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Central set ups.

Re: Sniper Central set ups.

There's nothing there that you couldn't do yourself for probably a little bit less. Get the barreled action, a decent B&C stock, and an optic mount, bolt them together, throw on a bipod and a scope and away you go.

CDNN is selling Howa varmint rifles (in a cheap stock) for $399.

The Remington package appears to be pretty much what is usually recommended here as a budget friendly beginner setup.

You could probably save a few hundred bucks if you hunted around the classifieds and bought some stuff used.

How are the Howa's anyway are the up to the Rem 700 in quality or are they lower on the totem pole.

I wouldn't put them any lower on the totem pole as far as quality goes, if anything I'd say they're a bit <span style="text-decoration: underline">better</span> made. Where the Howa's run in to difficulty when compared to Remington is in the aftermarket parts arena. It's getting better, but Howa still lags well behind Big Green there.

Also I've been told that Howa's are a bit more difficult for smiths to work on...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't put them any lower on the totem pole as far as quality goes, if anything I'd say they're a bit <span style="text-decoration: underline">better</span> made. Where the Howa's run in to difficulty when compared to Remington is in the aftermarket parts arena. It's getting better, but Howa still lags well behind Big Green there.

Also I've been told that Howa's are a bit more difficult for smiths to work on... </div></div>

I see. I have seen a lot more products for the 700 vs howa but havent heard about the smithing issues ill have to check it out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also I've been told that Howa's are a bit more difficult for smiths to work on... </div></div>only thing different is it's metric threads.

My Howa has close to 3000 rounds through it. I have had no issues. I shoot fifty to a hundred rounds every weekend. I also had no issues finding after market parts. It has a timney trigger, egw base, tps rings, apa little bastard brake and i am certain i am leaving something out.

Mark at SAC did the work. Muzzle brake, coated in od green, painted and bedded the stock, bolt knob and so on.

The target below is from my last two trips to the range. The gun is way more capable than i am. I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to reloading and shooting.
DSCN0191.jpg
DSCN0494.jpg

When you total EVRYTHING that comes in the package: rifle, scope, rings, base, harris bipod and hard case, you will not touch that price doing it yourself.
400 for the rifle
225 for the stock (plus shipping)
60 for the base
50 for the rings
220 for the base scope plus shipping
70 for the non-swiveling bipod plus shipping
And lets say 45 dollars for a cheap plastic case.

You can get close, but if you buy from them, the scope is mounted and zeroed.
When you figure in the shipping on the various pieces, unless you buy the stock, scope, rings, base and bipod from the same vendor at the same time, shipping costs will add up.

It looks like a nice set-up, but for an entry level rifle I would only go with Savage or Remington.
My reason is, for resale value, because if it is an entry level rifle, you will probably want to sell it to move up as your skills improve and your tastes change.
Lookint at AVD's post he stated he shot 3,000 rounds through his rifle, if you handload or buy factory ammo you are into it for aprox. $2500-$5,000. Do you really want to spend that kind of money shooting a $1,000 rifle?
Just my opinion.
SScott

I just finished a build based on / inspired by SniperCentral's Remington package a few months ago. This was my first foray into bolt guns and took a few weeks.

Pros: Education/Knowledge - I spent a ton of time reading and researching just about everything/anything I can get my hands on, from general shooting to specific parts.

Cons: Price - Factor in shipping, fuel, and taxes, its definitely cheaper in the long run to just order a package from SC. One large unforeseen expense for me was factoring the cost of tools since I didn't own any torque wrenches, gun vise, .308 cleaning kit, etc.

Tips IMHO (if you decide to DIY):
- Low Burris XTR rings is just right. I mistakenly got medium ones that unnecessarily affected my cheek weld and had to exchange them.

- Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x fixed is fine, but I wish I bought a 3200 Elite with variable power and up to 14x or 15x for long range shooting, worth the extra hundred-fifty dollars or so. (1000 yards with 10x is like looking a target 100 yards away with the naked eye, but 66 yards with 15x).

- Depending on your shooting style, the 9-13" Harris bipod was too high for me and I ended up trading it for a 6-9" swiveling model.

- If your willing to wait, buy used stuff here at a discount.

I highly recommend DIY if you want to learn. Otherwise, ordering from SC will be cheaper over the long run.

Also, I just bought a bare bone 700 SPS Tactical for the barreled action.

Oh BTW, it shoots .364" at 100 yards!

Can you elaborate on this? You lost me.
Thanks,
avd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like a nice set-up, but for an entry level rifle I would only go with Savage or Remington.
My reason is, for resale value, because if it is an entry level rifle, you will probably want to sell it to move up as your skills improve and your tastes change.
Lookint at AVD's post he stated he shot 3,000 rounds through his rifle, if you handload or buy factory ammo you are into it for aprox. $2500-$5,000. Do you really want to spend that kind of money shooting a $1,000 rifle?
Just my opinion.

SScott</div></div>

First, I am not trying to dog you, I am trying to make a point. My point is with the price of ammo the way it is someone should not skimp out on a rifle, and if you need to stay within a tight budget I suggest you purchase something more mainstream, so you can get the best resale value when you are ready to go to the next level. JMHO
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, I am not trying to dog you, I am trying to make a point. My point is with the price of ammo the way it is someone should not skimp out on a rifle, and if you need to stay within a tight budget I suggest you purchase something more mainstream, so you can get the best resale value when you are ready to go to the next level. JMHO
SScott </div></div>why worry about resale value when you can always send it to a smith and have them work on it when you are ready to move up?

I got the SC Remington package without a scope. I have the Viper PST on pre-order. I ran lots of numbers to see what various combinations of buying an SPS, a 5R, getting different stocks, etc. would cost me and I decided as I'm a beginner at this type of shooting the SC package was plenty good enough for me and the best value. I'm tall, thin, and have a long neck so I got the fully adjustable stock. I used the money I would have spent on something more expensive and now have a reloading setup and a decent amount of factory ammo. Just my thoughts on my experience.

I opted for a 700P 308 for my first long range bolt gun.

I'm currently saving for a NF NXS for it.

Once I get shooting, I'll add a McMillan A5 and have it bedded.

My ultimate rifle would be a GAP rifle with their Templar action, but that's a few years down the road.

Just get whatever you can afford and get shooting as soon as you can!