• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Sniper" competition=no rear bag?

Oldmauser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
Many local clubs in continental Europe organize "sniper" matches. There has to be always the word "sniper" in the name of the match (sniper challenge, sniper marathon, you name it). In many cases they specify in the rules that you cannot use any rear bag while shooting prone. I never served in the military, so please kindly help me out here. Is it the case that snipers are trained to shoot without any rear support, just a bear hand under the butt stock?

75535C1F-888E-46DC-BBDA-487891930E26.jpeg

They certainly use them now if they have the chance, though I’m sure they are trained to shoot without one if the situation so dictates. Someone with personal experience will have to answer but I think bags are a fairly recent development, which may explain it.

Rear bags are hardly a new development, we used call them sand socks because it was literally one of our socks filled with sand and tied off at the end. There were all sorts of variations on the theme and some guys used crushed walnut media, the poly pellets, or added some 550 cord to attach it to the gun, it was sort of a personal thing. That sand sock needed to be versatile though because it was your everything bag, none of the bags that we enjoy now existed at the time. We trained using the sand sock and when I deployed I took the sand sock with me out on patrols. I didn't use it every time though, depending on the mission sometimes you just had to make due by grasping the rear sling swivel and your hand acted as the rear bag.

I have yet to shoot a match that said you can't use a bag, especially a rear bag. Now there may be props that limit what you can use due to physics, but saying you can't use a rear bag in a prone stage? LOL

Rear bags are hardly a new development, we used call them sand socks because it was literally one of our socks filled with sand and tied off at the end. There were all sorts of variations on the theme and some guys used crushed walnut media, the poly pellets…

Ah, sitting at the picnic tables out behind the bunkhouse at Blackwater gutting out Beanie Babies to make sock bags because the other guys in the cohort had emptied out Walmart of the Poly pellets while my buddy and I were cleaning our rifles.

So, we bought a pile of Beanie Babies and dressed them out. Made our bags while smoking cigars…

The Azerbaijani chopper pilots who were there at the same time were convinced we were all nuts.

I still shoot with that sock!

Sirhr

Rear bags are hardly a new development, we used call them sand socks because it was literally one of our socks filled with sand and tied off at the end. There were all sorts of variations on the theme and some guys used crushed walnut media, the poly pellets, or added some 550 cord to attach it to the gun, it was sort of a personal thing. That sand sock needed to be versatile though because it was your everything bag, none of the bags that we enjoy now existed at the time. We trained using the sand sock and when I deployed I took the sand sock with me out on patrols. I didn't use it every time though, depending on the mission sometimes you just had to make due by grasping the rear sling swivel and your hand acted as the rear bag.

I came to say the same thing. My first rear bag was an old, worn OD green wool sock stuffed with poly beads and tied off with a zip tie. And same goes for grasping the sling at the rear swivel in my left fist.

Reactions: Badjujuu
I came to say the same thing. My first rear bag was an old, worn OD green wool sock stuffed with poly beads and tied off with a zip tie. And same goes for grasping the sling at the rear swivel in my left fist.
I was more trying to say that modern, purpose-built shooting bags like you’d see at a PRS match were a more recent development, but could have phrased it better. I’m enjoying hearing all the stories of old school bags/socks!