• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Golf: Comp Idea

deliciouspizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I've just been playing around with this idea for awhile in my head because I think it could potentially be a really great way to get outside, have fun and shoot. This doesn't involve golf balls or using them as targets which is what I understand sniper golf to be as it's known here on the hide. Forgive me if this idea or something like it has been considered before, I don't understand the art of Search-fu. So here is what I've got so far on my mental drawing board:

It's like a real game of golf only instead of trying to get a ball in the hole in the shortest amount of strokes you're trying to get the bullet on the target in the shortest amount of shots. The "hole" will be an appropriately sized steel plate at the end of each "hole". For added challenge and bonus, on the center of the "hole" plate will be a small circle that would act as a negative stroke if hit.

The course will be laid out like a golf course only instead of perfectly cut grass you have all kinds of natural obstacles one would experience in the field and it would be extremely stretched out, of course.

Now, on a golf course, there are multiple options when approaching the green and each option has variable risks and rewards to consider. To emulate this in Sniper Golf the approach to the green would have numerous hanging steel plates in different spots at varying ranges and only one of which you would pick and shoot and then move to the spot by the plate to make your next shot. So say we're on a 1000 yard par four and there's a plate halfway down the fairway at 500 yards that would be an easy shot but there's also another plate at 700 yards off to the side on a ridge overlooking the "hole" plate that could set you up for the bonus shot. The first shot would be easier and safer but the latter would be more challenging and rewarding.

Each hole could be set up in a way to make it challenging for each class of caliber in the same way the tee-off spots (don't know the technical term, doh) on a golf course are set up to accommodate varying skill levels. So the 6.5-.308 tee off spot would be like the woman's tee off spot which is closer to the green and the .300WM,.338LM and .50BMG would be like the pro tee-off spot which is much further back (not to induce a flame war or anything).

There's a lot of fun to be had playing with obstacle and plate ideas on each hole. I'm trying to think like a mini-putt putt course designer only with high powered rifles. I've had some ideas that would be fun (some more probable than others) like a steel plate with a swinging pendulum in front of it so the shooter would have to time his shot perfectly, a pair of steel plates side by side that would have to be shot in quick succession, hidden and hard to spot plates, plates that track from side to side. Also a lot of room to play with the environment of the course. Say if there's a tree you could put a plate up there and then the shooter would have to climb the tree and set up inside it. Also, I'd like to incorporate ghillie suits somehow.

I'm totally new to the tactical competition scene and I'm sure there a lot more plate drills that could apply to this scenario that I don't know of. So go ahead and school me with some good ideas, any input is appreciated.

Will update with doodles and ideas suggested that work as I flesh this out.

Re: Sniper Golf: Comp Idea

Always liked the idea of playing that sorta game versus the run and gun stuff, I've never been to the ASC comps but i get the impression it is similar to your description.

Yeah, a lot of berms, unless we could find a HUGE plot of privately owned land someone would let us use, right? I have no idea what the rules are when setting up a private range.

Sounds interesting. However, you may need to work out the logistic issues a bit more. Say in the 50 BMG scenario, if you go for the long shot to set up the bonus shot, are you then too close to be safely shooting a 50 BMG at a metal target? Also, what kind of back stops and targets are you going to have for that close range? The 50 BMG can be punishing to the targets at close range, not to mention its shooter as well. Just a thought. Overall, nice idea.

sniper golf can be problematic ....you need lots of ballz and berms......about the furthest one can disern a REAL golf ball if the mirage is not too brutal is 400yd....or so....prone....with any success .

colored water balloons are another option for instant feedback.

in any and all cases....you need impact berms....

think he was refering to steel targets, not golf balls particulary, but scoring and playing the game as golf which each hole or STAGE having a par number, (i.e. 650 yard PAR 1), with lowest number of strokes or SHOTS being best.

only problem i see is you need lots of land this would be a great game you could play on big ranches or BLM land in the western states.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

in any and all cases....you need impact berms....</div></div>

no berms needed.. just real world conditions, (deer don't always stand behind a berm) if catch your miss through the grass then good job otherwise better watch the wind and try another guess!

Berms aside, I need more ideas for original plate setups and/or interesting physical obstacles to include on the course, any ideas?

i always perceive shooting through trees as an intimidating obstacle.

and not THROUGH a TREE, just a wooded area.

you would need alot of land! everyone would prob. have to be on the same hole so they dont end up in the backdrop of someones shot.

All shots are from the Tee box unless your CKA or your're on his "B" Team... then you get to move up to the ladies tee box!
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

in any and all cases....you need impact berms....</div></div>

no berms needed.. just real world conditions, (deer don't always stand behind a berm) if catch your miss through the grass then good job otherwise better watch the wind and try another guess! </div></div>

I'm with BOLTRIPPER. Purpose of berms is not to aid in spotting your misses....

Cheers,

Bill

You could try to setup a course for .22lr with 3 or 4 holes to see if the idea catches on and work out the details. .22 would require less land and less of a backstop. a 300 yard hole would present a challenge while making a 'hole in one' a possibility. one question though, would you keep 'stroking' until you get a hit on the fairway target? weather conditions or a less than proficient shooter may make for a long game. it would be like hitting a golf ball a few feet with each stroke. to keep the land size down you could setup multiple 'holes' within one shooting lane. just color coordinate the targets. i.e. use the blue targets for hole #1 and the red for hole #2 etc...

I think there is several different ideas of games going on here.
Here is the basics of one style of game i was considering.

FIRST: there is no Golf balls, only steel Targets... the game is only scored like golf fewest Strokes (shots) wins

SECOND: Ideally the course will be set up like the Steel Safari or the Montana LR match, Nevada match or ASC match... Which requires large spreads of land (probably best played in wide open spaces like Wyoming, Montana, Nevada an New Mexico).

THIRD: Shooter walks or rides from hole to hole, ideally some holes offer multiple holes off the same Tee Box to keep the moving and time down, a shooter could play 18 holes in about the same time as playing a round of golf. Shooter shoots until he hits the target or maxes out on strokes say 5 shots. Not all holes let you shoot prone, a tree or rock might offer your best support and visibilty of the target.

4th: Scoring depends on difficulty of shots with most holes being PAR 1's but more challenging shots, (posistional or smaller targets), being Par 2 or even Par 3.

You shooters out west, DO and could have lots of fun with these types of matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems I heard a quote from a wise man:

"If there is not a berm behind it, its not a target"

Maybe you herd it? oh wait, you don't get to shoot at RO, thats right.
</div></div>
I get the general safety aspect. (know whats behind your target.)
Guess you don't hunt either? I see several burms in that pic, WTF are looking at!
As far as the RO comment, IF i do get to shoot there, i will be sure to SAFELY put the smack down on you, and that's a promise!

already doing something like that here, only using 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges, but varying the size of the "hole" (bullseye) and using .22lr, strokes are shots, if its a par 3 you have 3 shots to hit the bullseye and so on. 2 shots a birdie, 4 shots a bogey. we put in "water hazards" around some of the bulls where is you hit them you lose a stroke.

par 5 at 50 .5" bullseye
par 4 at 50 1" bullseye
par 3 at 50 1.5" bullseye

par 5 at 100 1.25" bullseye
par 4 at 100 1.5" bullseye
par 3 at 100 2" bullseye

par 5 at 200 1.5" bullseye
par 4 at 200 2" bullseye
par 3 at 200 2.5" bullseye

9 "holes", 36 strokes to par it. seemed to work well using our public range. ifyou have a more private range and could do more movement, additional rings (or greens, fairways) allow you to move closer similar to the pistol game we did below.

with pistols, the outer rings allowing you to move closer to the target. starting at 25 yards and depending on the par and size of the bullseye, if you hit the next ring out from the bull, you move 10 yards closer, the next ring 5 yards and so on.seemed to work well using our public range as well.

seemed to work well using our public range as well.

I think a match like this would be awesome to play, I meant to say shoot! Find the right spot and you have a great idea!

Caddyshack (1980)
Sandy: I want you to kill every gophers on the golf course!
Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...
Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool! Gophers! The *little* *brown*, *furry* *rodents* -!
Carl Spackler: We can do that; we don't even have to have a reason. All right, let's do the same thing, but with gophers -!

I couldn't resist....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems I heard a quote from a wise man:

</div></div>
Guess you don't hunt either? I see several burms in that pic, WTF are looking at!
As far as the RO comment, IF i do get to shoot there, i will be sure to SAFELY put the smack down on you, and that's a promise!</div></div>

Go safely smack you nuts against a brick wall, it'll less embarising, you dumb truck. Why wait and see IF you ever get to shoot at RO I'm fucking game anywhere.

I'll put my kill log against anybodies anytime dill hole.

now this is getting funny!
laugh.gif
Bring your bullshit to the line and we'll see! Bring your <span style="font-style: italic">kill log</span> and whatever else you think u need. I'll be Shooting at Tac Pro and a private range near Mineral Wells almost every weekend until Sept then I'm going to the Tiger Valley match hope to see you there. WTF you at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All shots are from the Tee box unless your CKA or your're on his "B" Team... then you get to move up to the ladies tee box!
crazy.gif
</div></div>

I think I just misplaced another one of your invites
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems I heard a quote from a wise man:

</div></div>
As far as the RO comment, IF i do get to shoot there, i will be sure to SAFELY put the smack down on you, and that's a promise!</div></div>

Go safely smack you nuts against a brick wall, it'll less embarising, you dumb truck. Why wait and see IF you ever get to shoot at RO I'm fucking game anywhere.

I'll put my kill log against anybodies anytime dill hole.</div></div>

ok so the idea sounds awesome, but the thread definitely getting f'ed up by buck ups, and that is fucking retarded in my opinion. who gives a fuck where you shoot. i know i dont. ive done my fair share at where ever i can sling lead downrange, but as long as i get to shoot, i enjoy it.

and also, you dont need a burm as a backstop every time you squeeze the trigger. there are other things for your bullet to impact in. and if you never seen tracers fly, when bullets impact a decently solid target, they tend to wander off, and more then often at a decent angle up or sometimes up and behind you. be more concerned with if a shot does ricochet, there is enough room for it to fly its course and impact safely.

great idea. quit fucking arguing. you have a fun idea and run with it.

"and also, you dont need a burm as a backstop every time you squeeze the trigger. there are other things for your bullet to impact in."

Maybe the target?