• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Cup Sniper Hide Cup requirements?

ColdzeroBSP

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
I'm new to this forum but not to shooting. I was just wondering if someone could give me a brief description or point me to the right post that discusses the rules/requirements to participate in the cup competitions? Are the shooters divided into groups per skill level? Any special equipment required? Are most competitors military, police etc.? What's required to sign up? Thank you.

Re: Sniper Hide Cup requirements?

What is required to sign up is, when registration is announced, you have to go to the Rifles Only website and fill out an application ASAP as the match usually fills up the first morning registration opens. So getting signed up quickly is key.

Next the competition is a mix of competitors, but mostly civilians in the top tier of the sport. Some are LE, some military, but mainly hardcore competitors at the top of their game.

It's open, there are no divisions, and anything from a 223 to 338 is acceptable, you also need a service type pistol, no optical sights. You must start with the rifle and pistol you started with, no substitutions of weapon systems. There is no special equipment required but people have learned to carry their gear a certain way to succeed, that is a learned thing. Technically you can get by with a rifle and ammo, and pistol and ammo, and not much else.

The dates for the match are March 18th, 19th and 20th 2010 and the registration date has not been announced yet... attempting to register early puts you in the back of the line. We usually cap it at 60 shooters, give or take a few.

it is also recommended you be in some kind of physical shape because we don't just lay on a firing line and shoot. It's combination of run & gun, and movement with all your equipment. We also shoot from a helicopter, so not being afraid to fly is a plus. The last match, the competitors has to drag 80lbs of dead weight 75 yards, and then climb a 25ft vertical berm that was 100 yards from the starting point in about a minute 30 while engaging targets, so consider all this in your planning.

At the end, its usually pretty fun and most have a good time... winner usually scores about 60% of available points.

Thanks for the information that's terrific. Just have a few more questions. Is there a registration or competition fee? Where are these matches held, do the locations change every year? Will I be able to get by without a DBM rifle? What is the maximum distance you shoot from? Thanks.

There are fees, but they are not due at registration they are due after you are confirmed a place in the match. The cost changes here and there but usually about $250.

It's held every year at Rifles Only in Kingsville TX.

You can use a top loading rifle, but I would recommend practicing to load, as some stages require more than 5 rounds.

Max distance is usually 1000 yards, in fact ranges are from 10 yards to 1000 yards usually.

One match had a shot at 11 feet 1 inch - which duplicated a shot made by an L.E. sniper. The target was smaller than the one he had, though...
laugh.gif

Huh interesting, 250 seems like a steal to me for a comp like this. Ive seen videos and it looks like a great time.

Only thing im curious about is from what it sounds like its an open class event. Meaning a 223 would probably be squashed by a 300win. No big deal as im sure competitors have multiple weapons systems to choose from but thats gonna be your best advantage I would assume is bringing the proper SWS. Dont be undergunned or you're screwed.

Which Calibers usually do best?

Usually 6mm and 6.5mm rounds are at the top of the pack.

Part of match planning is bringing the right tool for the job.
wink.gif

Just bring an open mind, and my rifle, the rest will fall in place.

Can anyone just tell me the difference between the Hide Cup and the Shooter's Bash? Would the bash be more suited to someone with less experience?

The Cup is an extra day, so there are more stages. In addition, you may get to shoot a carbine from an airborne helicopter during one stage. There may also be one or more stages shot at night.

Other than the helicopter, though, there's not much other difference. It won't make any significant difference to a first-time shooter which they go to.

My advice: Regard your first match as a learning experience, and have fun. In fact, that's what I do at <span style="font-style: italic">every</span> match.

Safety is a no BS part of the Rifles Only experience, you must transverse the range hands free, rifle slung muzzle down, bolt up mag out, Jacob will give a safety brief before the match begins, violate one thing, and your gone, period, no second chance. It's the most fun you can have in TEXAS, good peope who I respect more than words can say, fast well run match with little down time, take a look at TAB Gear products, almost everyone was made from lessons learned at Rifles Only.