• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper/ hunting rifle

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Hey guys
I'm new to the site. I am interested in you opinions on a rifle. I am looking for rifle to build up that would serve as a tactical rifle but still be semi practical for packing around the hills to hunt elk. I was considering a Rem XCR compact tactical in 308. Any thoughts?

Re: Sniper/ hunting rifle

I just picked up one of these from a hide member and I can't wait to run it through the trials in the field. It seems to have the best of both worlds when It comes to hunting and the range. I think it would be an excellent consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys
I'm new to the site. I am interested in you opinions on a rifle. I am looking for rifle to build up that would serve as a tactical rifle but still be semi practical for packing around the hills to hunt elk. I was considering a Rem XCR compact tactical in 308. Any thoughts? </div></div>

The caliber's certainly right - how much are you looking to spend for the package i.e. rifle and optic?

Thanks for the responses
I will probably spend around 1500-1600 when all is said and done.
What are your suggestions for optics? I was thinking that I should go with a relatively low power scope. (i.e. 1-5X 30 or similar).

i started looking for the same thing last summer,..

i ended up with a SPS Tactical and topped it with a mil-dot Leupold Mk2 4-12x40. pretty nice set up i think,. i do want to swap the stock for a B&C but that is the only change i will probally do.
it should be good enough to compete in the local matches around here,. and i plan on carrying it over a few mountains later on this year for deer season.

ETA: with the price of the B&C stock the whole package comes in right around your price bracket.

As for Optics I am going middle of the road for mine. I picked a Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40mm OD w/ TAC2 Hunter Knobs Just under $300. It has the Ballistic Plex Reticle for bullet drop compensation and is of very good quality. I have the 4.5-14X42 brother to this one on my Varmint AR15 setup and I really like it. The power all depends on your preference I guess and my thought is I would like to have the 9X available if I need it given a certain situation. You and I are in the same ballpark on budget. Paid $1200 for the rifle and $290 for the scope. You could certainly have success with brands such as Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, Vortex depending on the features you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the responses
I will probably spend around 1500-1600 when all is said and done.
What are your suggestions for optics? I was thinking that I should go with a relatively low power scope. (i.e. 1-5X 30 or similar). </div></div>