• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Magazine

popeyecop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
Chester, Illinois
I just bought a magazine dedacated to SNIPERS. Read through a couple of articles and found some good info. Need to read cover to cover but so far it's good.

Re: Sniper Magazine

No This One.
2011-03-07_13-41-00_895.jpg

I picked it up, better than most - hell what else are you going to read while you take a dump = gun magazines

I'd drop some dough on it to check it out, if it sucks that bad I can just wipe my ass with it. Never know might have some good articles in it

Yeah I flipped through it while I was at Gander Mountain on Saturday and it was cool but for $8.99 before tax it wasn't that cool.

I guess it will be the same as all weapons mags, this rifle is good for this, that, does this, that, but a steep price. Never telling us any of the downfalls of the rifle. Like motercycle/ car mags. never tell you the bad crap with the bike/ car just the good crap. For once I would like to see a magizine take the reviewing rifles and fire them with complete honesty, and then grab a couple everyday joes and vs them against other similar/ comparable weapon systems based on their reviews. Please have a walmart special or two thrown in that review aswell.

That is the article I want.

why buy that mag when i have this place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: klrb929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why buy that mag when i have this place? </div></div>

+1, GOOD POINT

I still like shotgun news, its full of stuff to read while taking a dump

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it will be the same as all weapons mags, this rifle is good for this, that, does this, that, but a steep price. Never telling us any of the downfalls of the rifle. Like motercycle/ car mags. never tell you the bad crap with the bike/ car just the good crap. For once I would like to see a magizine take the reviewing rifles and fire them with complete honesty, and then grab a couple everyday joes and vs them against other similar/ comparable weapon systems based on their reviews. Please have a walmart special or two thrown in that review aswell.

That is the article I want. </div></div>

Hey SmithE-6,
You should give the Sniper mag a chance. I'm the editor for it and purposefully took your stated approach when making the assignments. I tried to keep non-anklets from contributing to it and hope the next time around, to have the book entirely written by certifiable snipers. It's as much of a magazine that teaches new technical thoughts on long range shooting than a rag that just sucks up to advertisers/manufacturers. Jacob Bynum reviewed the Sniper mag at a recent Sniper Country event in Utah, and I think that he'll be added to the contributors list next time. He seemed pleased. Inside this issue you'll see more detail on the XM2010, a good piece by Caylen Wojcik on unusual shooting positions and a number of Todd Hodnett articles. 128 pages, very few ads, and more unbiased content than you'll see in another gun magazine. I did my best to give the reader a chock full magazine for your $9. I can't control the price, but I can give you a lot more for what you pay for. Ideas for articles in my magazines come right from guys like you and are not driven by advertisers. Just asking for a chance to change the face of gun magazines.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
Special Interest Publications
InterMedia Outdoors

I get 2 magazines a month, Combat & Survival $7.99 great photos/ articles OK

SNIPER $8.99 , Good photos and Very Good articles - if it comes out bi-monthly i would get it

smile.gif
the other magazine i get is Game Informer $15 a year

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess it will be the same as all weapons mags, this rifle is good for this, that, does this, that, but a steep price. Never telling us any of the downfalls of the rifle. Like motercycle/ car mags. never tell you the bad crap with the bike/ car just the good crap. For once I would like to see a magizine take the reviewing rifles and fire them with complete honesty, and then grab a couple everyday joes and vs them against other similar/ comparable weapon systems based on their reviews. Please have a walmart special or two thrown in that review aswell.

That is the article I want. </div></div>

Hey SmithE-6,
You should give the Sniper mag a chance. I'm the editor for it and purposefully took your stated approach when making the assignments. I tried to keep non-anklets from contributing to it and hope the next time around, to have the book entirely written by certifiable snipers. It's as much of a magazine that teaches new technical thoughts on long range shooting than a rag that just sucks up to advertisers/manufacturers. Jacob Bynum reviewed the Sniper mag at a recent Sniper Country event in Utah, and I think that he'll be added to the contributors list next time. He seemed pleased. Inside this issue you'll see more detail on the XM2010, a good piece by Caylen Wojcik on unusual shooting positions and a number of Todd Hodnett articles. 128 pages, very few ads, and more unbiased content than you'll see in another gun magazine. I did my best to give the reader a chock full magazine for your $9. I can't control the price, but I can give you a lot more for what you pay for. Ideas for articles in my magazines come right from guys like you and are not driven by advertisers. Just asking for a chance to change the face of gun magazines.

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors </div></div>

Wow, that's cool. Eric you kinda changed my mind a little. I'll be looking for this mag at the bookstore today. Thanks to chiming in Eric!

Thanks High Binder,

Don't hesitate to tell me if the magazine or any part of it is a disappointment. I live for constructive feedback.

Best,
Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks High Binder,

Don't hesitate to tell me if the magazine or any part of it is a disappointment. I live for constructive feedback.

Best,
Eric </div></div>

Will do thanks!

Eric,
I am getting a subscription.I like the fact that Sniper Hide was mentioned in one of the articles. I know i don't have a ton of posts on the hide but that don't mean i'm not on it daily getting caught up on the latest of whatever. Take care and best of luck with the magazine.

Robert Young
Chester Police Department

Best,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
InterMedia Outdoors [/quote]

Hey Eric I just shot you a PM. Steve.

I saw that at the store while grocery shopping today. I was all excited and showed my wife, she was unimpressed. I tried to find it on-line to get a subscription. No joy. I should of just bought the the copy I saw. I did thumb through it however and it did look like it was worth the $8.99. Maybe someone at work will have a copy I can read... That or paper toss will be a no-go from now on...

I picked up a copy today. Looking forward to checking it out.

I saw it in my BX and almost bought it earlier. After reading this, i'll have to get it tomorrow.

Besides, reading the midway catalog on the toilet is beginning to hurt my wallet.

I was flipping through the mag at B&N. Pretty standard fare for a gun rag. Nice pictures, scattered facts, enough info to pique your interest and send you to the internet to find out the real info. Just like all shooting mags, if you've been reading a long time or had thorough training, you just need to read the table of contents and you already know what the articles are going to say.

Recognized Wocjik in the pictures which was cool. I had gotten most of his hand-me-downs when he left the unit. Had to buy it to support him when I realized he had written one of the articles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phridum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was flipping through the mag at B&N. Pretty standard fare for a gun rag. Nice pictures, scattered facts, enough info to pique your interest and send you to the internet to find out the real info. Just like all shooting mags, if you've been reading a long time or had thorough training, you just need to read the table of contents and you already know what the articles are going to say.

Recognized Wocjik in the pictures which was cool. I had gotten most of his hand-me-downs when he left the unit. Had to buy it to support him when I realized he had written one of the articles. </div></div>

Hey Phridum,

I genuinely appreciate the feedback. Do you mind telling me what could have been done to set it apart from the "standard fare gun rags"? I tried to go above that in this magazine and make it more informative with articles written by credible guys who you don't see whoring themselves out for free test gear. I really wanted this mag to be something actually worth saving. I'm sincerely interested in specific suggestions/changes if I get another chance to do a second issue. Can you tell me about the "scattered facts" you mention? I'm trying to be careful so that a magazine like this doesn't get pushed aside in the society we live in. Otherwise, there will never be a chance for publishers to break away from ad-driven fluffy gun rags in the future. I had instructed those authors to be straight-up about any products and that I wasn't going to push my own theories or some kind of agenda on them.

Best,
Eric

Kind of expensive for a magazine, but not to shabby. If you covered the USASOC sniper competition last year, that'd be nice to have in there.

It's alot better to read than the other gun magazines. I liked some of the mini FYI articles, like the one about reticles. More of that kind of stuff would be nice.

Eric, it's awesome that you are actively pursuing feedback. I also think that a $9 price tag is worth not being a slave to the advertisers. Otherwise Remington (arbitrary), would buy your honesty via advertising space and you would feel obligated to write nothing less than a shining review on their next test product.

It kinda sucks to pay $9 an issue but IMO, completely worth it to get objective material.

I still havent been able to locate an issue. Who carries this magazine? Borders, Fred Meyers, Barnes & Nobles, etc?

I've seen it at Barnes & Nobles, the px, Books-A-Million and Walmart so looks like the major guys have em. This is all down in the south though so your mileage my vary

Eric say's that if you guy's don't get off your hip and buy his mag there won't be more. You guy's spend more money on the "tacticool" crap than what this mag costs. Help a brother out that is trying to help his brother's in arm's out by getting their message's out thru this magazine. Spread the word on the mag so that some of us in the civilian world can hear what goes on and learn from some of the best in the biz. Not sayin that you can't get it here , information not attitude, but maybe it will help others hear some of the truth's not allowed by other areas. Hell, it might even inspire some young kid that has no direction in life to join our military and not be a dope boy on the corner. Just sayin......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric say's that if you guy's don't get off your hip and buy his mag there won't be more. You guy's spend more money on the "tacticool" crap than what this mag costs. Help a brother out that is trying to help his brother's in arm's out by getting their message's out thru this magazine. Spread the word on the mag so that some of us in the civilian world can hear what goes on and learn from some of the best in the biz. Not sayin that you can't get it here , information not attitude, but maybe it will help others hear some of the truth's not allowed by other areas. Hell, it might even inspire some young kid that has no direction in life to join our military and not be a dope boy on the corner. Just sayin...... </div></div>

+1000 need to help get this magazine established.

Is there a website for this mag?

I tried to google it and came up with something having nothing to do with shooting at all.

Robie

I flipped through this on the stand. The info seems to be alot of what you read on the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROBIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a website for this mag?

I tried to google it and came up with something having nothing to do with shooting at all.

Robie</div></div>

+1. I would like to purchase a subscription but I can't find a website or anything.
confused.gif

Just want to toss this out there. I have a Horus Flacon on my rifle on page 66 the rifle on page 67 has the USO. As far as as the info on the OBR's I had a person on the range two weeks ago never shot past 400m shooting dove clays at 800 trued him up and drilled a dove clay second round at 1000m. If anyone can say OBR's can't hold under a .75 at 100m. You need to relook your shooting ability. Chance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunslinger2111</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mind telling me what could have been done to set it apart from the "standard fare gun rags"?... I'm sincerely interested in specific suggestions/changes if I get another chance to do a second issue.</div></div>I haven't seen the magazine, but I appreciate your efforts. How is the quality of the writing itself?

If your into long range shooting then you should:

Which you are because you hang out here

1. Support the magazine
2. Read it and enjoy it
3. Keep up on new gear and equipment

Good first issue and I know it will only get better plus hell get it while you can maybe someday it will be a collectors item
smile.gif

Constructive criticism about things I would like to find in magazines:

1. Were any faults, flaws, malfunctions noted with the weapon system? Almost all new firearms are cool, but I would like to know about sharp edges, switches or levers that function roughly, things that don't work as optimally as hoped.

2. Cost comparisons between similar systems or items. Compare various scopes, rifles, or ammo, and let us know which are the most cost effective.

3. Durability. Certainly most manufacturers won't ship you expensive kit to destroy, but it would be nice to find out how the finish, extractors, and other things appear to hold up. Almost any rifle will work well for the first couple of hundred rounds (we hope). What happens when we get close to 1000, 3000 rounds? Do malfunctions increase, or does the system just keep on chugging along?

4. Occasionally find some "do it yourself" tips to help readers save money. Things like making your own Ghillie, slings, cheekpieces and so on. Anything that we can do to save some dough would be appreciated.

5. How can equipment be adapted to alternative uses so we can increase it's usefulness?

6. Occasionally publish lists of manufacturers who seem to have the best prices on items. There may be new ones out there that we don't know about until you tell us. Maybe something like a monthly "top ten" suppliers of things like ammo, clothing, ancillary equipment, sewn accessories, leather work, and so on.

Glad to see that someone is trying to serve our community as opposed to gun magazines that all seem to review the same firearms, and reach the same conclusions.

Unknown,
Thank you for your input. Eric is the big boss for the magazine, but I worked closely with him on the content and wrote several of the articles. The 6 points you make above are excellent; you'll see that feedback incorporated into the next issue. Tom Beckstrand

Tom,
Have a couple of ideas for the mag. I am willing to do some work on it for you. Nice ending with Tung. We talk about him alot. Get in touch with me. Get my number from Tom S. Or call me out at 37. Chance Giannelli

Chance,
Will do. I have your contact info from last trip down and will call tomorrow. Glad you liked the piece on Tung; I could have written 3x as much.

The dedication by Tom on the last page is worth picking this up for by itself.

Killshot and Robie, as what was stated by Eric, there is not a subscription as of yet. It was a test bed to see how much response it would get and how sales would go. As I took it, IF the sales and interest took off then more issues would follow. I do not know of a website to research this as I found it at Walmart and Books-A-Million. So it should be on every major news stand.

nt6-AKA-Tom Beckstrand, nice articles in the mag. I would like to thank you and the group of individuals responsible for the articles in the mag. I have had the magazine for over a week now and still going back reading articles. Good luck with the magazine and I hope we will be able to go for a subscription soon.
wink.gif
Sincerely, Tommy

Bondocustomz,
Thanks for the kind words. I had a great time working on the magazine and hope we get to do it again. Tom