• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper/observer sidearm carry?

scout1775

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
Any tips on how to effectively carry a sidearm when in a LE sniper/observer role. Issue I’m running into is chest rigs hinder prone and leg rigs hinder stalking. Any setup ideas or equipment ideas? Pics would help

Thanks

Scout, over the last five years I have tried every configuration you can think of. Leg drop = worst option! Hip belt = another bad option, so this leaves us with the chest rig. Our team has found it best to stalk with only what you need so we carry very little on our rigs. Also must point out I am LEO so our stalks are more like putting compared to MIL, but we do have to move with stealth quite a bit. So we found the sniper hydration harness the best chest rig and I use the BlackHawk S.T.R.I.K.E. allows the best mounting option based on the operator. We all have a slightly different configuration but all of us have found an out of the way spot allowing easy access and not hindering movement, shooting positions or just getting in the way. Hope this helps at least a little.

Sully

A$$ crack would work better for the convicts I deal with. Most have prison lockers big enough to fit a Barrett M82.

Sully

There is no good way.

But the purpose of a pistol is to fight your way to your rifle, which you should never have put down in the first place, so take your rifle instead.

We've been using some sort of flap holster on the belt at 3'oclock. Like you we don't like carrying a lot of kit to hang up on stuff and are using a simple suspender setup with a padded battle belt to carry the bare necessities, like radios. Some like the standard military Bianchi flap holster or some other low cost rig. We certainly won't win any speed draw contests, but the handguns are covered so they don't snag on shit and don't fill up wit ha lot of the crud you are crawling through.

FWIW, for a number of years I shot off of a ruck and found that it was far more convenient to make a suppressed pistol accessible on the ruck versus on my gear.

I've been trying out the safariland drop flex adapter with a single strap shroud, so far so good. Time will tell if its the answer for me. Doesn't give me the usual thigh rig issues, but a simple kydex holster works also. Wear your shit when you do your range time, that'll help, at least once a month I go shoot with all my patrol gear on, because most of my real world deployments - that's usually what I have on.

I used a London Bridge Trading nylon holster with flap, used a riggers belt with spare mag, Leatherman and BDU top covered it as well, carried all else in pack. That holster kept the pistol clean of debris.

Scout1775,

Take a look at setting up a holster on a chest-rig. Saw this a few times and decided to give it a try, that is where my pistol resides these days. As far as shooting from a prone position I can count on one hand, and have a finger or two left over, how may times I have actually been this position on a callout.

Just a thought, but it works for me.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

I just used a normal duty belt, Hoyt Holster, Model 28. Same setup I used in my patrol duties. I didn't change cloths if I got a call out.

Model%2028.JPG

Last edited:
Kraig, that's old school right there. And I bet it didn't limit your effectiveness behind the rifle one bit!

Well Graham, I have to confess, I'M OLD.

But no, carrying that sucker for 20 years, its noticed if it isn't there.

RAINE makes a canted molle holster. It can be placed either on the right or left side depending on the cant for which hand you draw with. With the cant you can keep it off the front of a vest to go prone. Just a thought.

Scout,

As a LE Sniper I have run across this same issue. My solution is a Safariland drop leg holster with the upper leg
strap removed and the drop strap shortened substantially. The handgun then rides much higher on your hip and has not been an issue for me during stalks.

Frank

Kraig, what's the round thing in the middle of the gun.. Kidding, just had to!

OP. I simply run a Kydex open top holster at 3 o'clock for mine when out with a bolt gun. If its more Tac Rifle it's back into a 6004 on my belt.

You're probably shooting over 200 meters, why do you need a side arm???

'Cause in LE your duty revolver/pistol is your primary, the rifle is for call outs.

'Cause in the Military when in the rear its easier to carry a 1911A1 through the chow line then a rifle.

Why the side arm? Because in my area more then once we have been going to set up on a target location and someone else popped up. Not that easy to cover and secure another player with a long gun, and forget about getting a cuff on them.

Sully

I've had the same problem. What works for me so far is the Safariland leg holster shortened up so it rides close to the hip.

MCEOD

Your signature line is without a doubt the most accurate I've ever seen.

I carry my P6 via IWB when bowhunting and stalking, it's always on me when in the field. There are too many jackasses that even show up on private land such that I won't hunt without something like that on me. Keeping a suppressed pistol in my pack is a nice option when I have a big(ish) pack but for bowhunting in a treestand the climber takes that space and I keep a small chest pack that's big enough to hold a grunt, compass, spare knife, lighter, map, etc. Nothing big enough to put a suppressed pistol into.

IWB on the carry pistol has never gotten in my way while hunting. Not really tacticool but it's about the cleanest thing that I've found to make sure I have something on me at all times, it stays under my clothes and while readily available it's also prone to drawing less attention when I invariably run across the local Barney stomping through the woods trying to find truant teenagers that are getting stoned.

If you carry a 1911, a good inside or outside the waistband piece of leather is very valuable. I use a Milt Sparks outside the waistband and I sometimes forget I'm carrying and that's a full size 1911. There is a reason why you are gonna wait 9 months to receive one. A good belt is also necessary.