• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sniper Rifle Game Statistics

AntBirch

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
Hey guys,

I've started up a new topic and am in need of opinions. Below is a list of 24 sniper rifles, not all of which will make it into the game but I want to find out as much as I can about them do I can make an informed choice. Any additions or subtrations from list are welcome. Have ordered Cartridges of the World and Jane's Guns to help with stats but again all info is welcome.

Accuracy International AS-50
Accuracy International L115A3
AMP Technical Services DSR-1
Barrett M82A1
Barrett M95
Cheytac Intervention M200
Gol-Matic Gol-Sniper System
Heckler & Koch PSG-1
Izhmash Dragunov SVD
Izhmash SV-98 Snaiperskaya
Knight's Ardament M110 SASS
Marine Corps M40A3
McMillan Tac-50
Nexter FR F2
Norinco QBU-88
PGM Ultimate Ratio Hecate II
Remington Model 700 VTS (forget exactly if is VTS or something else)
Remington M24A3 SWS
Remington XM2010 ESR
Russian Ministry Dragunov SVU
Sako TRG-42
Steyr SSG-69 PIV
Tula Arms Plant VSS Vintorez
Walther WA 2000

Re: Sniper Rifle Game Statistics

What video game is this going to be and which company do you work for? Any release date and on which consoles? Thanks

I am looking for the muzzle velocity for each rifle (most rifles have a different velocity depending on the cartridge so need all values). The most common make of each cartridge and the weight. The energy of each cartridge in joules. The barrell length for each rifle and the amount of each cartridge each rifle can hold. A lot of info that's why ordered books. Only really want rifle additions or subtractions from list and no company small project.

M24 represents M21 as that's pretty much its upgrade and am tempted to upgtade M82a1 to M107 as upgraded everything else. PGW Timberwolf C15... how did I miss this off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AntBirch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for the muzzle velocity for each rifle (most rifles have a different velocity depending on the cartridge so need all values). The most common make of each cartridge and the weight. The energy of each cartridge in joules. The barrell length for each rifle and the amount of each cartridge each rifle can hold. A lot of info that's why ordered books. Only really want rifle additions or subtractions from list and no company small project. </div></div>

What do we get for doing your research for you?

If you read my last comment it says basically just approve/disprove on the list...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AntBirch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M24 represents M21 as that's pretty much its upgrade and am tempted to upgtade M82a1 to M107 as upgraded everything else. PGW Timberwolf C15... how did I miss this off </div></div>
But the m24 and m21 are completely different weapon systems?

How bout the M40a5?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AntBirch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you read my last comment it says basically just approve/disprove on the list... </div></div>

I see, then in that case I would remove the VSS Vintorez, it's not exactly what I would call a "sniper rifle", it's more of a designated marksman rifle.

I would build the rifle list by use and caliber. I would also ask you to do all of us a good deed and checkout this program.

www.shooterready.com try the demo and design your sniper parts of the game with this kind of detail for bullet drop, windage, leads for movers, holdovers / unders, ranging with a reticle and LRF.

semi auto:
5.56mm Mk12 MOD1
7.62mm M110
50BMG M107A1

Bolt Action:
7.62mm M40A5
300WM Mk13 MOD5
.338LM Accuracy International AWSM
.50 BMG Tac-50

I would also ask for the optic section like a bonus point system. So you start out with a fixed 10x with standard mil-dot reticle with MOA knobs, and as you gain points you pick up variable mag power scopes:

1.1-4 FFP
3-12 FFP mil/mil
4-16 FFP mil/mil
5-25 FFP mil/mil

With more points you buy better reticles like a gen 2, or a TMR and so on.

This would add a level of fun for people because you can buy 1 optic and use it on all the rifles and so on.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AntBirch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for the muzzle velocity for each rifle (most rifles have a different velocity depending on the cartridge so need all values). The most common make of each cartridge and the weight. The energy of each cartridge in joules. The barrell length for each rifle and the amount of each cartridge each rifle can hold. A lot of info that's why ordered books. Only really want rifle additions or subtractions from list and no company small project. </div></div>

I asked you before in your other topic to send me a PM, and I would discuss all of this wih you. You never did.

But since you have ignored much of the information that was presented to you(by FRANK of all people...FRANK!) in your previous topic, then to me it is evident that all you want to do is make a cookie cutter copy of every lame-assed videogame out there (bring on the laser tag).

You haven't asked once about accuracy, range, humditity, windage, or elevation.

I'll agree with Merlin on this.

Where's our cut for doing your fucking work for you?

M21 is an M14 upgraded, its semi auto while the M24 is a bolt action. completely different rifles. caliber discluded the only thing they have in common is the "M"

ArmaHeavy... Like I said at the start of this topic and throughout I just want ideas for sniper rifles for now. I haven't ignored any advice but it seems you haven't read my comments before replying. Thongs like wind, weight, bullet drop will make it into the game but for now think of it as a stats menu. Finally I did not pm you as I want advice and opinions from everyone as explained above.

Well...for one thing I would change how you have your Russian rifles named. They should be consistent with the either the country of origin or the manufactures' name and with the correct name of the rifle. Right now you are all over the place with them.

Might I suggest you do the something like:

Izhmash SVD "Dragunov"
Izhmash SV-98
Tula Arms Plant VSS "Vintorez"
KBP OTs-03AS "SVU-AS"

HTH

I'm agreeing with ArmaHeavy here, the things you're asking for are widely available, and the things you're not asking, that people here can answer, aren't being asked.

The thing is, Every. Single. Question. you have asked is answerable by a two second search of wikipedia and worldguns.ru; the only useful information to ask for here would be environmental variables and accuracy decisions.

I pointed out in the earlier thread my professional opinion on the direction you're taking, and I'll add to that. It looks like you're going through Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Medal of Honor, with an admixture of Hollywood movies to come up with your weapons list and game ideas, without actually focusing on the reason you want to include them. As in: "I want to include weapon X because of it's long range" or "I want to include weapon Y because it's extremely accurate". You've decided on the weapons first, THEN you're wanting to figure out about them and somehow trying to fit them into your system. Fit the classes to the model, not the model to the classes.

I'll retract all of that, and be more than happy to help you if you'd give a solid description of your design plan and implementation as well as goals and features; in detail, with technical descriptions. Because right now this is very vague, and sounds like the thousands of posts that gamedev.net gets from some kid who played a game and went "I want to do that!!!1!" and gets online and demands help with no idea how to do it.

Thanks for the naming idea will try and get all names correct before final list is done. Again I will say I only want opinions on the weapons going into the game and will not be pming anymoe, nor explaining anything other about the game yet. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I know what I'm doing with designing and programming. I only want suggestions for additions and changes to the list for now as I will release details of the game later in the year when I've spoken to a company I'm getting feedback from.

As I mentioned earlier, remove the VSS Vintorez as it's not a sniper rifle. It fires a 7.62x39 cartridge that has been necked up to accept a heavy 9mm bullet, so it's effective range is rather limited. It's not exactly super accurate either.

I'd probably get rid of the Norinco QBU-88 as well, it's not exactly what you'd call a "sniper rifle", again it's more of a designated marksman rifle. Like an M16 with an optic mounted on it.

Same goes for the Dragunov SVU, they essentially chopped down the barrel, added some accessories, and turned it into a bullpup assault rifle.

I also see you listed a Remington VTS, but I'm assuming you meant VTR? If so, I'd remove it also. While it's a variant of the Remington 700, I don't know of anyone who actually uses this particular model as a dedicated sniper rifle.

Thanks for that I was having thoughts about SVU and VSS. Attempting to properly name them all now as I have all stats but the range and barrel length.

Hey thanks for link but ranges aren't too accurate and only has half or so barrel lengths. Have ordered book so can keep stats consistant.
smile.gif

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a book on rifles?

Got Jane's gun guide other day but it misses out most rifles. PSG-1, SVD and M21 are only rifles I remember seeing.