• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sniper rifle question

ronat68

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2014
I recently bought a Remington 700 heavy barreled action with a scope mount and rings,I think an older model.The unusual part of the deal is the Redfield base mount has the same serial number as the gun.There are no government markings on the gun.A lot of investigating later and I can find very little information on it.Remington factory only says it was made in 1981.If anyone knows any info about it I would appreciate your input.

Anything government would bear a US property mark. Check the bottom of the bolt and see if it also has the serial number on it. Could have been a law enforcement rifle. They sometimes serial number the bases and scopes for inventory with the last four of the serial number of the rifle. I have one of these in my collection.

ANYONE could have marked it, and not everything government property is marked as such.

scope mounts

This mount has the complete serial number the same as the receiver.The only picture close that I've seen is the Redfield mount on the rifle in the museum that belonged to Chuck the famous sniper.

Post some pics of your rifle and the serials/areas in question, please.

A thread like this is fairly worthless without something to behold in terms of the rifle/mount itself as we are all just guessing/speculating as to what you may (or may not) have in your possession. Even with photos, it may be tough to give you a lot of info.

As for Remington...what did you ask them to provide? They generally can give you date/year of production in pretty short order, but their info center/historical info folks may be able to tell you more about the rifle in question. The contact info is on their system, but I believe that office is somewhere in NC if memory serves.

Without pictures, it never happened.

If you called Remington, they would have give you the complete specs of the rifle; year and month of manufacture, exact model, barrel length.

There is a date code on the left side of the barrel near the shank. If its not there, its an aftermarket barrel. What is the serial number? Just need the 4 first digits.

Get back to use with more info.

Last edited:
sniper rifle

Post some pics of your rifle and the serials/areas in question, please.

A thread like this is fairly worthless without something to behold in terms of the rifle/mount itself as we are all just guessing/speculating as to what you may (or may not) have in your possession. Even with photos, it may be tough to give you a lot of info.

As for Remington...what did you ask them to provide? They generally can give you date/year of production in pretty short order, but their info center/historical info folks may be able to tell you more about the rifle in question. The contact info is on their system, but I believe that office is somewhere in NC if memory serves.

My comp will not download pictures on this website.Remington says it was made in 1981.It has an od finish,a flat crown,and the Redfield base has the same full serial number as the receiver which is c6233043.I may see if anyone is interested in doing a semi original sniper build.thanks

.... serial number...which is c6233043. Remington says it was made in 1981.

I doubt that.
A666---- made in 1978
C671---- made in 1992
I'd lay odds your C623---- was made more like 1991, not 1981

I doubt that.
A666---- made in 1978
C671---- made in 1992
I'd lay odds your C623---- was made more like 1991, not 1981

I agree. 'C' series started sometimes in 88 if I remember correctly.

I have a 'B' series that was made in 85. (I typed 81, typo error).

+1 on all of the above. With that serial prefix and number...it seems that somebody has got their wires crossed with your rifle's "born on" date whether its Remington (for whatever reason) or there's been a miscomm of some sort.

As for pics...there are tons of hosting sites online from tinypic to photobucket, etc. Not sure on why you can't get them to work here, but if all else fails you can try one of the aforementioned sites.