• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Sniper Rifle System" ???

WGM

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2005
Sportsmans Paradise
OK ... I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on this site, but I've still got one question ... but I have to preface it first.

The discussions around here regarding "sniper rifles" usually end with a general agreement that there is really no such thing as a sniper rifle ... there are simply snipers, and the rifles (weapon systems) they employ while doing their jobs ... right?

Well, in browsing the new, updated/changed Accuracy International website, the home page says this:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"welcome to the home of the world's finest <span style="font-style: italic">sniper rifle</span> systems"</span>

So I guess what I want to ask, is does anyone have a problem with this?

I'm sure some of you will think I'm trolling, or trying to stir the pot ... but really, I'm not. I mean, I've seen people get flamed pretty hard at times for asking about "sniper rifles", yet here we have an industry leader who is selling (in their words) the finest sniper rifle systems in the world ...

but, how can that be? There is no such thing as a sniper rifle unless it's actually being employed by a sniper ...

Seriously, again ... I just wonder what the thought is around here on the issue. Does this bother you guys the same way you get bothered by someone starting a thread requesting information on "sniper rifles"? I would have guessed yes, but have seen nothing but positive responses regarding the new/updated AI site ... but nothing about them selling "sniper rifles" ...

Re: "Sniper Rifle System" ???

WOW, get the popcorn! As you point out, there are snipers and they use a variety of weapons. Progress keeps moving the bar. It looks like we (USA) will soon have a 7.62 gas gun that will do as
well as the 700 based bolt gun we now use (Get behind a DPMS LR 308 and you'll get the picture) plus 10 shots quick (remember why we ditched the 03' Springfield for the M-1, 8 shots quick vs 5 shots slow). For long range Bolt guns in 338 Lapua seem to have the favor of many countries. I think a 338 LM gasgun will be coming over the hill. Think of a BAR on steroids. For ultra long range the 50 BMG semi-autos seem to have things pretty well locked up.
All that said, I would not want to be in the sights of a trained sniper with a Mosin Nagant or Type 96 Swedish sniper or even my 1808 Baker!
DSCN1955.jpg

Thats because thats what they do. An AI of any spec has been built from the ground up for that purpose. It is not a hunting rifle that has been accurised and modified to be used as a sniper's weapon, they have been built purely as a snipers rifle, largely through the input and requiements of snipers.

Their target market is the military and police who want the best system available. hence why theyre advertising it as such.

JJ

I'am not to hip on slang words. I use to hunt with and old Hawkins musket. Don't see to many of the older style muskets any more. Everybody went to the newer inline muzzleloaders.

In California it's a Counter-Sniper Rifle.

Go shoot.

Last I checked, unless the guy shooting it is a billeted working sniper, they are all just precision rifles. I call mine 'Marksman Rifles' simply because I can't shoot for shit. If I could shoot anything worthwhile, I would do better when I compete.
Hmmmmmmm, reminds me, I got some 'Smack the SMily' targets to shoot with the kids. They get to shoot rimfire with their 'mini sniper' rifle, and I'll shoot against my oldest son on centerfire. WOO HAA! Shootin' Marksman Rifles!
grin.gif

what about a "snipers" rifle, or is it a tactical rifle, no wait a precision, ummm no, maybe a precision tactical rifle?

For our friend WEDA, it's really hard to put holes in a smooth wire fence. In any case it is my fence and the target was DISPLAYED not SHOT there. For others, thanks for the nice words. Lots of Frenchies found out the hard way just how well these shoot.
(See the series available on Netflix "Sharpe's Rifles). I have shot it with the high leaf on the rear sight (300 yards) at VW Beetle sized rocks (with my ancient eyes) and you would not want to be in that VW.
It also works quite well on large game and below that is a picture "behind the fence."

2009elk1.jpg

DSCN1170.jpg

but no I can't hit golf balls with it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What outfitter did you use? </div></div>Looks like LL Bean.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WGM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, in browsing the new, updated/changed Accuracy International website, the home page says this:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"welcome to the home of the world's finest <span style="font-style: italic">sniper rifle</span> systems"</span>

So I guess what I want to ask, is does anyone have a problem with this?</div></div>

Nope. AI builds rifles intended for the hunting of humans by professionally trained Snipers. If they don't fall under the definition of "Sniper Rifles" then nothing does.

I get bent because the uneducated call anything with a bolt and a scope a "sniper rifle". If it's designed FOR snipers or used BY snipers then it may qualify as a "sniper" rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WGM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, in browsing the new, updated/changed Accuracy International website, the home page says this:

So I guess what I want to ask, is does anyone have a problem with this?</div></div>

Nope. AI builds rifles intended for the hunting of humans by professionally trained Snipers. If they don't fall under the definition of "Sniper Rifles" then nothing does.

I get bent because the uneducated call anything with a bolt and a scope a "sniper rifle". If it's designed FOR snipers or used BY snipers then it may qualify as a "sniper" rifle. </div></div>

WOW LoneWolfUSMC you summed it up! We agree on somthing!

Doesnt bother me. That is the weapon's intended use. Then again, Im typing this while sitting in my Sniper La Z Boy and looking at my Sniper Yellow Lab gnaw on an antler.
laugh.gif

Personally, I am sick of "tactical" being driven into the ground. I blame 5.11 for this trend. Case in point: tactical shoelaces.

for the record, I agree with what LoneWolfUSMC said ... but if that's the case, where does the cut-off point occur? I mean, if I buy an AI rifle, is it a sniper rifle, even if I'm just an ordinary civilian that only takes it out to the range to punch paper?

If that's the case, does that rifle become just a "durable, precision rifle"? Do I have to use it to hunt humans for it to remain a sniper rifle?

Again, not trying to stir the pot ... I've just seen plenty of posts on this site claiming that the only time a rifle becomes a "sniper rifle" is when it's employed by a sniper ... thus, ANY rifle (or weapon for that matter) is a "sniper <insert "rifle" or "weapon system" here>?

another way to look at it, would be this ... Aren't GAP rifles built to be as durable and reliable as possible? What about USO scopes? Aren't the designed to fulfill the most demanding of needs that a military or police sniper would come up against? Does that make USO scopes "sniper scopes"?

I guess I just thought that most all here, if not everyone, agreed that there is no such thing as a "sniper" anything unless it's being employed by a sniper ... and of course, in that case, anything being employed by a sniper would be a "sniper <fill in the blank>" ...

I just thought it interesting conversation, seeing as how many people have been flamed for asking how to go about building a "sniper rifle" ...

My initial thought, when I saw the new AI site and read that large/bold statement, that AI gets a "pass" since they are regarded so highly for providing such "purpose built" rifles ... yet it's simple/easy to flame a newb or someone you deem a "mall ninja" for using that exact same nomenclature ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WGM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that make USO scopes "sniper scopes"?</div></div>

Tasco is the only true sniper scope.

Not to many Elk in Maine, and it sure wasn't shot over bait on a golf course in Kalarado.......

"welcome to the home of the world's finest sniper rifle systems"

I think they went this route was because the marketing dept. told tem that "For fat middle aged men with too much money and not enough time" was being used by 5 11!

But I can't be certian.

You guys are silly, its absolutely the finest sniper rifle system made, period...

its been in sniper service and use around the world for a really long time with a proven track record. just because it is available to civilians doesn't make it any less of the sniper rifle it truly is...

They are what they are because they have been proven as a true sniper rifle system, not some hot rod hunting rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesnt bother me. That is the weapon's intended use. Then again, Im typing this while sitting in my Sniper La Z Boy and looking at my Sniper Yellow Lab gnaw on an antler.
laugh.gif

Personally, I am sick of "tactical" being driven into the ground. I blame 5.11 for this trend. Case in point: tactical shoelaces.</div></div>

+1

the "tacticool" crowd seems made up of mostly wannabe's

which i have no problem with, but dont think for a minute your $400.00 back pack that you bought online makes you as cool as me and my issue alice pack. not even for a second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are silly, its absolutely the finest sniper rifle system made, period...

its been in sniper service and use around the world for a really long time with a proven track record. just because it is available to civilians doesn't make it any less of the sniper rifle it truly is...

They are what they are because they have been proven as a true sniper rifle system, not some hot rod hunting rifle. </div></div>

Lowlight ... you seem to have missed my point ... in that whenever someone around here pops into the forums and requests information on what specs they need to build themselves a sniper rifle, they almost ALWAYS get flamed - mainly by people saying (among other things) that there is no such thing as a "sniper rifle" unless it's being employed (at that time) by a 'real' sniper ...

for further clarification ... the sentiment around here (as interpreted by me) is that there is no such thing as an inherent sniper rifle ... because ANY rifle is a sniper rifle when being employed by a sniper, and NO rifle is a sniper rifle when being employed by someone other than a 'real' sniper ...

There is such thing as an "inherent" Sniper Rifle. It has to be designed from the start as such.

Sometimes it takes some common sense to figure these things out.

If a rifle was built for a sporting purpose, bought for sporting purposes and only ever used for sporting purposes, then a "Sniper Rifle" it is not.

While GAP builds "Sniper Rifles" for "Snipers" I would bet the vast majority of the rifles that leave GAP are destined for a life of killing paper targets. I would wager the same for USO scopes and even the vaunted "Super Sniper" scope.

I will give GAP M40's a pass since while the majority of them will never be used in conflict they were "designed" specifically for the hunting of man.

What you're doing is trying to put a PC spin on it saying, only a working sniper can have a sniper rifle, well sorry to correct you, but the AW was built with sniping in mind, thus making it a sniper system... built to be used by snipers, for sniping under combat conditions. It's not a dual purpose intent, although the civilian market has made it so.

Saying only a sniper can have a sniper rifle, is simply a way to defend your evil looking bolt gun to the anti-gunners.

Sorry, the AI is a sniper rifle, and carries a military designation as such.

I think the term "sniper rifle" has evolved from "Sniper's rifle". Makes more sense that way to me. "Hey who does this rifle belong to?" "Oh, thats the 'sniper's rifle'" Then any rifle given to the SDM, or sniper is considered a sniper rifle due to its designated use. Truth be known, it doesnt really matter if you call it a precision rig, long range rifle, or even a sniper rifle. Its the shooter that determines the use. If I see a guy using an M40A3 to hunt deer, then to me its a hunting rifle. Use it for target shooting, its a target, or precision rifle. Use it to cover a large distance in a combat situation and if needed shoot a person..that qualifies as a snipers rifle.

The AI rifle was built and design for this purpose only. The gentleman that built made the rifle had this plan for the rifle. I do believe.
Where as the Win,Rem<and others was built as hunting rifles and turn into long range rigs. The Remmington built by the Aromory also would be consider as the same type of system. Simply by the whole purpose of the rifle would be used in this type of sniping application by snipers.
Lowlight is right through commerical markets today. The AI rilfe is offered to the civilian market. This would not take away the whole intend of this rifle.

guys, all this fuss over the term "sniper", which came from The term sniper was first attested in 1824 in the sense of the word 'sharpshooter'.[2] The verb 'to snipe' originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India where a hunter skilled enough to kill the elusive snipe was dubbed a "sniper". [2]

The problem is TODAY in this PC world, we who SNIPE at taliban, bad guys, fruit, furry animals or target with no name form unmentionable locations, need to remember the judgement placed on us from those in charge, ie Janet Napolitano, may get us a 12 person jury who is shown our "sniper rifle" system. NOT GOOD.

If everyone out there had our mindset, this wouldnt be an issue, but a HUGE percentage dont, they are sheeple.

therefore imo anyone who performs any real work using a <span style="text-decoration: underline">"precision bullet discharging instrument"</span>, should be mindful of the eqiupment they use, and understand that "sniper" to MOST people has a negative, hide in the bushes, killer image.

It doesnt matter if you agree with it or not, that just the way it is.

So the Mosin Nagant with the scope three feet in the air that almost killed Carlos was not a sniper rifle because it was not built in some CAD based machine shop for $5000.00?
I'm gonna bust a gut! Whether paper, steel, people or game...
it's the "nut behind the bolt" that counts.

Well, since you admit it is purely for political correctness it doesn't take away from the fact that Accuracy International builds a "sniper" rifle and because they are based in the UK they can call it whatever they like...

Snipers, by USMC definition, "the scout sniper <span style="font-weight: bold">is a Marine skilled in field craft and marksmanship</span> who delivers long range, precision fire <span style="font-style: italic">on selected targets from concealed positions in support of combat operations.</span>"

There are certain qualifiers in there that must be met, at least to be considered a USMC Sniper, a marksman/sniper in the Law Enforcement community will have others... However you can see the weapon used has nothing to do with it either way, so the fact that AI has a purpose built mission specific "sniper rifle" is not for you to decide. Just because you can buy it and use it within the confines of any lawful purpose doesn't remove the mission specific nature of their product.

If you're so worried about "anti-gunners' latching onto the idea that a company sells a "snipers" rifle, maybe you shouldn't be talking about rifles period. Fear will make a man say twisted things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, since you admit it is purely for political correctness it doesn't take away from the fact that Accuracy International builds a "sniper" rifle and because they are based in the UK they can call it whatever they like...

Snipers, by USMC definition, "the scout sniper <span style="font-weight: bold">is a Marine skilled in field craft and marksmanship</span> who delivers long range, precision fire <span style="font-style: italic">on selected targets from concealed positions in support of combat operations.</span>"

There are certain qualifiers in there that must be met, at least to be considered a USMC Sniper, a marksman/sniper in the Law Enforcement community will have others... However you can see the weapon used has nothing to do with it either way, so the fact that AI has a purpose built mission specific "sniper rifle" is not for you to decide. Just because you can buy it and use it within the confines of any lawful purpose doesn't remove the mission specific nature of their product.

If you're so worried about "anti-gunners' latching onto the idea that a company sells a "snipers" rifle, maybe you shouldn't be talking about rifles period. Fear will make a man say twisted things. </div></div>

gimme a break. I am the last guy in the world "worried" about shit like that.

It just seemed like a good point to provide, given some guys on this forum may actually have to stand trial in defense of themselves using a firearm whether it be for defense or social uses.

When you are investigated by the courts following a shooting they seem to bring up ALL those points including the reciept showing you purchased a "sniper rifle system".

Be aware of it, make an educated decision based on ALL the factors, thats all i am stating.

If you're engaged in "home defense" using your precision rifle, or AW, you have bigger problems... So, fuck em very much if I legally own an AI or 3.... if they want to know why I have them in my safe the answer is simple, "Because I can"

I'm with Lowlight on this one....

I'm never clear why some people get so steamed up about the "s" word. Let's face it, this is a term coined a long time ago (originally after game hunters skilled in hunting Snipe, and elusive and difficult quarry) for marksmen then military and later LE who were tasked with a specific role.

It is odd how a word can differ according to context, for example when associated with criminals (such as the Washington "Sniper") or terrorists or enemy combatants it appears almost entirley negative but when mentioned alongside such as Carlos Hathcock or Vassily Saitsev it is seen as a worthy and honourable trade/profession.

Even without political correctness, I don't see too many issues when people refer to recent military applications of the task - indeed many people have a degree of pride that the Royal Marines snipers are recognised for their prowess in this field.

Perhaps in the past the role was not viewed as "gentlemanly conduct" and some may prefer the term designated or precision marksman, sharpshooter or whatever other euphemism serves their purpose.

The AI AW/AE is a rifle built to provide these guys a tool for a specific part of their job....i.e to put holes in people from a distance.

So IMO calling an AI a "Sniper Rifle" is a fair description....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're engaged in "home defense" using your precision rifle, or AW, you have bigger problems... So, fuck em very much if I legally own an AI or 3.... if they want to know why I have them in my safe the answer is simple, "Because I can" </div></div>

It has nothing to do with which firearm I engage a goblin with.
In my home or otherplace.

The point is, once you have been involved in a shooting, the weapon used is confiscated and any and all firearms you own, shoot, or have in your safe, will be investigated by attorneys who get paid BIG bucks to prove to 12, you an overzealous gun nut.

Having a "sniper rifle" will not help you to convince 12 people who probably could not tell the difference between a flintlock and a 30/06 that you are a "good guy".

All they will hear is the word, "sniper" and imo, you will be fucked.

This is reality in kali..

But if you want to continue to think it wont matter to the sheeple/masses, good luck to you.

let me know how it works out for you.....

Just because you don't have the intestinal fortitude to call a spade a spade doesn't mean "we" have to change the "words" we use to describe things... you've shown us what scares you, well it doesn't scare me and I don't live in California, neither is AI a US company.

Your thoughts that a jury of my peers won't understand my owning a "sniper rifle" is stupid at best, why, because I own more than a 100 different firearms, including about 7 legal suppressors etc... get the point, there is more than enough ammunition for them to attack me, hell just "owning" this site could fall under your logic. The idea that a receipt from Accuracy International is going to put that nail in my coffin is ridiculous at best when they have, ARs to look at, Suppressors, maybe I should move to New Mexico, dig a hole, put my house in, then cover it, after I can spend my days watching the approaches for the black SUVs to come get me.

I'll let you know how it works out, to date after 9 years of SH, still no problems, go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just because you don't have the intestinal fortitude to call a spade a spade doesn't mean "we" have to change the "words" we use to describe things... you've shown us what scares you, well it doesn't scare me and I don't live in California, neither is AI a US company.

Your thoughts that a jury of my peers won't understand my owning a "sniper rifle" is stupid at best, why, because I own more than a 100 different firearms, including about 7 legal suppressors etc... get the point, there is more than enough ammunition for them to attack me, hell just "owning" this site could fall under your logic. The idea that a receipt from Accuracy International is going to put that nail in my coffin is ridiculous at best when they have, ARs to look at, Suppressors, maybe I should move to New Mexico, dig a hole, put my house in, then cover it, after I can spend my days watching the approaches for the black SUVs to come get me.

I'll let you know how it works out, to date after 9 years of SH, still no problems, go figure. </div></div>

once again, opinions are like..........

Good Luck to ya....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget to carry your wooby to court, polls show juries like the image of a baby sucking his thumb with his blankey </div></div>

wow, I was going to let you stew in your own juices there, but since you obviously have the mentality of a 12 year old girl, and must get the last word to save face on your website, then I humbly bow to your infinite filtered wisdom of unrealistic bullshit and white noise.. I will end mine here...

Im Out!!

This is off their site. It does not say it was design for civilian use. The orginal design was built for military and law enforcement use. Sold to countrys all over the world for that use. Now days a civilian can purchase AI rifles. It is just a rifle. The shooter is the sniper but this rifle was built for that use only.
The Company is equally owned by three directors, Dave Walls, Paul Bagshaw and Tom Irwin. Dave Caig remains in the business as a consultant

Accuracy International is based on the principles of world class manufacturing, teamwork, mutual respect and trust with the objective of maintaining our reputation as producers of the “Best Sniper Rifle in the World”.

Lets all calm down a bit PLEASE. If you don't now or have not lived in an anti-gun state like CA, OR, WA, Il and the whole fing northeast, you cannot appreciate the use of loaded words by some young Obama loving ADA who has her sights on a job at Justice in DC.
The sad facts are you are far better off running away whenever possible and if not then taking the bad guy out with a "normal hunting gun" like a blue and walnut 26" imp cyl Model 12.
You gotta be sure he is armed, in the house and "presenting a threat".
Before you call the cops be sure to get all your unregistered guns out of the house (especially any that are "tactical"), the rest in a gunsafe (locked), if you have lots of ammo, keep it in a hidden area of the house that won't be found without taking down walls. Make no statement to the cops except through your attorney NOT A WORD except you wish to have an attorney present. PERIOD!!
We just had a guy shot here in FL who was a on an EPA yes EPA felony warrant from CA. He was shot by EPA yes EPA agents! The press carries on every time he name is mentioned. "A machine gun assault rifle" (really a legal AR 15), "and his huge arsenal" (5 other legal guns and 300 rounds of mixed ammo)and this in FL.
Sound good to beat your chest on the internet but unless you live in a red state your chance of getting a balanced, not to mention pro-gun jury are slim to none.
That's why I left NY and live mostly in WY and a bit in FL.
I don't own a "sniper" or "tactical" rifle, shotgun or handgun.
They are all for hunting, targets or are collector's items....
you can trust me!

<span style="color: #FF0000">quote..PMed from Koolnthegang!</span>

I dont live with mommy

I am 44

I have done horrible things to horrible people all in the name of the good ole USA....

I WOULD CEASE THE BULLSHIT IF I WERE YOU..

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

<span style="color: #FF0000">Arguing with a fucking kid...LOL</span>

Please spare me...
having lived in Connecticut for my entire life but the last few years I think I know a thing or two on the subject. As well my best friend was involved in a shooting in that "anti-gun" State, well let me tell you there is no blanket policy and every situation is different. Today he still shoots those same guns he owned on the day of the shooting, with the "evidence" stickers on them as badge of honor, and he didn't have to mortgage his house to get them back.

So the idea you "know' is complete bullshit, and I for one am not going to compromise out of some unfounded fear. You're welcome to scare yourself into corner, but as you can tell I live a little more out there.

After countless encounters with TSA, some good, some bad, I still travel every month by air with a firearm, I don't shrink, ship or side step my rights by not flying with a weapon simply because of a fear or single bad experience, I arm myself with knowledge, and move through as before.

Call it what you want, but if Accuracy International wants to call it a "Sniper Rifle", I will still call myself a satisfied customer and proud owner of the Best Sniper Rifle Made !

The fact is that we can't control what the anti-gun crowd decides to do with their time and their money. They won't tire until they get rid of ALL guns, and they do that through a lot of scare tactics and mis-information in the media. Rest assured if they get rid of one 'assault' or 'sniper' weapon they'll simply move on to the next. Soon enough your 30-30 Marlin or .22LR Ruger will get labeled as 'sniper' or 'assault' weapons. We can't control what they do, only what we can do to counter-act their lies and fabricated facts.

Bottom line: it really doesn't matter what AI calls their rifle system, because if the anti-gun crowd wants to stir up the pot about it they won't care what AI calls it and they'll find a way to portray it as evil. The fact is that is IS designed as a sniper rifle system, so it's fair to call it such. It doesn't make sense to try and hide and hope they miss something because they won't. It only makes sense to stand up for our rights and to educate the public at large through responsible gun ownership.

An AI is a "sniper weapon system" or "sniper rifle" or "sniper whatever" period. There is no dought about it.

The problem I (and I think most) have is not that someone calls a scoped rifle a sniper rifle, but rather that this person thinks if he buys said rifle, he will be a sniper.

This happens a lot, an uneducated and unintending person buys a remington 700, slaps a scope on it and calls themself (or even thinks of themself) a sniper. THAT is what I personally have a problem with, it pisses me off.

But there are sniper rifles, I don't care if someone calls them such. It is no different than a "framing hammer" It is a hammer designed to be used for framing. Do only framers use it? Of course not. But it is a tool designed for a specific purpose.

A rifle is no different. I don't call myself a framer simply for owning a framing hammer. It kind of pisses me off when someone calls themself a sniper simply because they own a sniper rifle. But it does not bother me if they call it what it is, a sniper rifle.

Now, ask me how I feel about people calling theselves "operator,"

ahh, on second thought, don't. I don't have the time to get into that...