• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper School - practical equipment help question

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
I'm attending a sniper school in September, class open to LE/Mil only. I contacted the instructor and let him know I'm not on a SWAT team, I am attending this class to learn for now, hope to get on a team eventually. That said, I don't have all the gear for deploying. He is cool with me coming in BDUs. I don't really have a need to invest in a ghillie suit, and certainly don't want to come in something low-end and get laughed at. I'd rather just be in multi-cam or OD BDUs at that point. He mentioned a "sniper veil" in his response to me. Yes, I've googled it, and I get everything from a scarf like cloth to full on hoods one pulls over their head. What recommendations on this front from those that use them?

I'll hopefully have a drag bag for the rifle I'm running by then, to carry ammo, ranging device, Rifle DATA, ammo, etc. I'll have a CamelBack to stay hydrated. I have jungle/boonie hats.

Anything on the practical side of things I'm missing? This class will be on a military base. I'll be running my GAP10(Instructor said this was ok.) While I may be an LE trainer, my experience at distance shooting is minimal, and certainly no applied practice of the same. I'm comfortable with LE pistol and carbine use(always have more to learn) but this type of shooting is a different breed to be sure.

I just don't want to be too much of "that guy" in class. I just want to come in - shut up-listen & learn, learn from everyone and not hold up the group with equipment issues. We've all seen those guys and I most definitely don't want to be that one.

Thanks in advance! I know the mocking will come.

-G45

This will be brief, but hopefully will get you pointed in the right direction.

Where is the course, what's the terrain and are you going to be doing green side stalk/concealment exercises? I would certainly want a spotting scope and/or binos as well, especially compact binos or a monocular if you're doing concealments. It's MUCH easier to scope out a loophole with a monocular than it is with a rifle and scope. That brings me to tripod and HOG/PIG saddle. Belly work doesn't happen in the bush, so a tripod that will at least get you to kneeling will be advisable. If you're stalking, have a compass to follow a heading versus turkey peeking for your direction. Even a small one on your watch band will do the trick. Don't forget a Kestrel for learning wind calls as it sounds like you're new to that too.

For the ghillie veil, that's mostly a boonie with netting and burlap to cover your head, the top of the rifle, and come down onto the shoulders. Essentially taking out the head shaped profile and something to easily veg up. Don't go cloak size, keep it manageable and remember what its purpose is - remove the outline in your FFP, not hide you as that's for vegetation and terrain to accomplish. 98% of stalks can be completed with nothing more than a veil and ghillie top. If they're seeing your ass and legs, you're in the wrong damn place on the stalk lane, but durable pants with suspenders help in thorns and other nasty areas and have a good belt/carabiner for hooking up the drag bag. Tan/green flight gloves (no shiny knuckle shit) and a pair of desert boots will complete the kit.

Estimate the terrain as best as you can and paint up the gun and other equipment before you go so it can cure well for several days. Get your gear and clothing well weathered before you show up, as the dirt helps with blending too. Even playing in the mud a couple times can help with that.

Best of luck, have fun and enjoy the learning experience!

If it's a "level 1" course that's geared to LE you will do little to no stalking. Data book, medium back pack, calculator and BDU's along with rifle and ammo will be fine. A rear bag will be a must as well. If it's geared to both maybe a veil. Also cleaning equipment. Usually the level 1 classes go over proper cleaning and break a few times a day for cleaning. Most schools of this nature guys make friends quickly and share their equipment at will. Have fun !!

Contact the instructor for his "required equipment list" and only take that equipment. You'll learn later on what you need and just as important what you don't need.

You also don't want to be the guy who shows up with a bunch of un-needed, silly taci-cool stuff that will make you look silly and foolish.

Having ran several sniper schools for the military and LE, I saw it all the time. After the initial equipment check at the start of the class, I identify equipment that needs to be left in the barracks/motel room, because that crap also disrupts the class.

If you are attending the class as a LEO I would recommend the rifle your department uses. I'm aware LE and Mil have different needs regarding the distance being fired, don't get hung up on that aspect. If you're max range is lets say 200 yards, and your training takes you to 1200 yards, how is that going to hurt you. I believe long range training cant do anything but help your short range shooting.

Again, put your questions to the instructors of the course. It could save you a lot of headaches AND embarrassment.

I echo what kraig said. It's best to check with your instructor and pick his mind. I recently attended a basic observer/sniper course hosted by a federal agency. The equipment requirements in "basic" vary from their "advanced" class. I got by with my rifle, magazines, ammo, appropriate clothing. For most of the class we utilized bdu's. For the stalk, some had ghillie suits, but most of us got by with veils. I can't stress enough that you determine what the weather might be and dress accordingly. There is nothing worse than shooiting in inclement weather and not being dressed appropriately. This could be cold, heat/sun, snow rain. You should also be able to "layer" your clothing as the weather or your comfort level changes. Consider some snacks for energy and ibuprofen as well. Make certain that your footwear is suited for your mission as most basic courses involve running and a good deal of physical exertion.

Again, check with your instructor. He may also have a list of equipment, some of which is required, some of which is "nice to have".

As a wise man once told me, "The mission drives the gear train".

Good luck and enjoy the class.

Joe

Sniper School - practical equipment help question

It's not about equipment. With the correct attitude you can do the class in jeans and a T-shirt.

But let's hope it's not an LE class all about head games and push-ups because the instructor needs a captive audience so that he can talk about himself:

Which class? With whom?

Last edited:
All great replies thus far, the correct attitude and open mind will be key for this class. The list from the instructor is a must and the items on the list will get you through the class. Don't worry about having all the latest and greatest gear, you will find what you need and how to you it all together. Additionally, most who attend these classes are usually very willing to open up their gear bags to fellow folks in the class, take good notes and use gear if it is offered up.

Good luck in the school.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

It's not about equipment. With the correct attitude you can do the class in jeans and a T-shirt.

But let's hope it's not an LE class all about head games and push-ups because the instructor needs a captive audience so that he can talk about himself:

Which class? With whom?

Went through a class like that and it was comical.

THANK YOU ALL - for your replies. The class is put on my TFTT. To have a sniper school come my way is not common, especially in a window of time that works for my life and schedule! I will contact the instructor again to alleviate my equipment nervousness. As one of you noted and I tried to bring up in my OP - I certainly don't want to be "that guy." I am very open minded in classes I attend. No matter if it's 8hrs of basic rifle marksmanship or 4 hours of advanced pistol shooting. I figure there is ALWAYS a nugget or two of information for me to take away.

I read one of you asking to run with a gun that my team uses. My Dept has two rifle platforms(bolt and AR). Snipers use .308 and .338LM rifles. Scouts use AR rifles in carbine and rifle length. I'm running my GAP10 because a) it's cheaper than running my .300WM b) If I can run the gas gun at 600-800yds, then the bolt will be "easy" - by comparison c) I have the block of .308 all same lot# for for class d) quite honestly - because I want to.( I don't mean this in a dickhead way!)

Graham - in regards to hearing instructors talk about themselves - Ugh, i hate that. I've taught a number of classes in varying topics. I figure the instructor gets the most respect from just teaching the material in an organized, well thought out manner being engaging with the students. THAT speaks more than any list of accomplishments to me. I've seen plenty of people with a long list of attended this - that - or the other, yet have no practical abilities. Yet, I've seen people that have attended two or three classes, thought through the material, combined it with their own experiences to teach a new spin that is refreshing.

Again, thanks for the replies thus far. Keep 'em coming if you have something. Regards

-G45

Think about how you will run and manage your DOPE Data? If you are running electronics, make sure you have a hard copy backup. If you are running a hard copy, make sure it is weather proof and you can easily access it. Seen students relying on electronics to have them go dead or bug up, and they have no backup. Also seen students trying to utilize a full size data book in the pouring rain, only to have an unreadable mess in a short period of time.

Have something that you can determine shooting angles with, Mil Dot Master, Slope Doper, Angle Indicator, Protractor, etc.

Per above, have some shooting aids to help out when you are positional shooting. Don't bring every gadget you can find, but definitely bring something that will help with any shooting position outside of prone. Monopod/Shooting Stick, Bipod, Tripod, etc.

Sling! make sure that it is 100% functional, not only for carrying your rifle, but also for help you with support for positional shooting.

Per above, be ready for the worst possible weather conditions, that means you, your gear, and your rifle. For you, layers are the key, make sure you can handle a 30-40 degree temp swing from morning to afternoon. Also make sure your footwear is appropriate for the environment and terrain. An extra large heavy trash bag comes in handy to stash your gear in if a monsoon sets in. Make sure you can protect your rifle (muzzle cap/cover) and optics (caps/covers) if it gets sloppy.

Have some basic tools, make sure you can loosen/tighten any screw/connector that you have on your rifle. Also consider having some spare parts for anything that may brake or get lost. Have a basic cleaning kit, make sure you have a cleaning rod that you can use to rod out stuck cases.

Snacks & Hydration, you can always tell when the students are getting hungry or thirsty!

Have fun, learn something!

Try to get in contact with someone who recently went through the class and pick their brain. Reason being... I attended 2 different level 1 classes, one put on by a state agency and the other by a private mil/le company that the state will accept as training. Night and Day... One class was 90% classroom and paper testing with formulas for wind, drop, range estimation, leads....etc with little shooting, and the other was 90% fieldcraft with lots of shooting. But both had similar equipment lists. I could have used more MRE's in one class, and more #2 pencils in the other.

Good luck!!!

Going back to my first school... databook, notebook and pencils, MilDot Master, kestrel, spotting scope, bag to carry gear in (so you aren't moving to the next line/station all FUBAR), toolkit for your rifle/scope including a torque driver, sock bag/bean bag, cleaning stuff. You can always go to Wally World or local sport shop after the first day and get things you forgot.

Those above who said "ask the instructor for their list" were right on. Any good school will have a list of things you must bring and optional things. But bring the basics and learn. Take away more than you bring.

Cheers,

Sirhr