• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft snipers and math?

jaket13

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
Pennsylvania
hey guys,
this is my first post. I'm 17 and I plan on joining the Marines pretty soon, so when my math teacher told my class we needed to write a paper about a career that uses math, I immediately thought "sniper."
I've done some research online and I couldn't come up with much. I even asked yahoo answers, and was given a link to this forum by a Marine who answered my question.

So anyways, is there any info I can get from you guys to help get my paper started?
Like what kind of math snipers use... Specific equations etc...

thanks a lot for all your help!

Re: snipers and math?

Ahh you beat me to the punch. I was going to put that first link down. Also Jaket GL in the Marines.

Wow, good call. If you really want to dig into this subject, you could write a doctorial thesis on the math involved in this profesion/hobby.

Although we primarily deal with angular measurement systems (albiet to derive liniar solutions) there are also other factors that can be examined. Everything from how baromectric pressure effects a shot to the muzzle velocity to the ballistic coeficiant of the projectile.

If you REALLY want to get into this, also check out the "Beyond 1000 Yards" section. There are an enormous amount of things to take into account in long range shooting.

Sorry, I just noticed that my spelling sucks, but I don't have time to fix it right now...

When I was in school, I did a paper against gun control. The teacher was a hard core democrat. I busted my A$$ off, and got a C-. So, be carefull on who grades it if you want a good grade. Wierd things happen when you start talking guns and stuff. It's a great example of using math, though!

I'd recommend a paper on a forward observer for a mortar platoon, and then focus on a call for fire using just a polar fire mission. Map, compass, simple geometry. Besides what Chad said, marksmanship has a million tangents. Odd though if you are still in school on 2 July.

Or you can try out the math involved in the paris gun.
smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or you can try out the math involved in the paris gun.
smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Gun </div></div>
Wow! I have never heard of the Paris Gun! Very interesting reading.

"The projectile reached so high that it was the first human-made object to reach the stratosphere. This virtually eliminated drag from air resistance, allowing the shell to achieve a range of over 130 kilometres (81 mi). "

It was mentioned in an old G1 data table I had years ago really interesting that it has a 5200 fps MV. that would be one flat shootin' son of gun. better than APFSDS tank round at 5700 fps

I would compare and contrast the gps and lensatic compass. Very few know how to use the latter. You could then post the paper here as a training aid.

a career that uses math.........

Engineer?
Surveyor?

I like CKAs thought. The fuunny thing is how few people even understand how the GPS system works..........

Or, keep it neutral, and write a five page guide to using a Theodolite to derive distance from angular measurements.

while only using paper and pen
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or, keep it neutral, and write a five page guide to using a Theodolite to derive distance from angular measurements.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like CKAs thought. The fuunny thing is how few people even understand how the GPS system works.......... </div></div>

I watched it on the Discovery Channel once! I know!
smile.gif

there is always the Vector Sum Analysis during crash reconstruction

Good Luck in your enlistment Jake, you're doing what what only a small percentage in the country choose to do. Self sacrifice, courage and commitment, Semper Fi.

Actually, I was looking for someone to explain the PSR contract's precision requirement Student-T Test that's looking for a 95% confidence of 1.5 MOA at 1500 meters. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set that up in an Excel spreadsheet for the 15 groups of data they plan on.

How's that for a sniper math problem?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I was looking for someone to explain the PSR contract's precision requirement Student-T Test that's looking for a 95% confidence of 1.5 MOA at 1500 meters. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set that up in an Excel spreadsheet for the 15 groups of data they plan on.

How's that for a sniper math problem? </div></div>

Here's the formula?...
=CONFIDENCE(.10,B1,15)
".10" being 2 X (1 - 95% CL), because you get to "bonus" the "under" MOA.
"B1" being the cell that contains the standard deviation of the MOA data (not necessarily cell "B1", depending on which cell your std dev result is located).
"15" being sample size

You want the average MOA (X-bar), plus the number generated by the above equation, to be =/< 1.5.

Cheers,

Bill