• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*Sniper's Hide Community Update*

alexj-12

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Illinois
    Hi all!

Just wanted to send out a quick update about new features in the community. As a few of you might have noticed, there are new user upgrade options. You are in no way required to get an upgrade, but each of these upgrades do offer enhancements to the site. You can also donate to help with server costs using the widget in the sidebar on the forum list. Currently, there are some features of the upgrades that aren't on the site yet, but the rest of them will be added in the next week or two.

In the process of adding the monetization model, we also began to update the user group system. If you notice that any abilities you previously had on the site went away, please let me know!

We've also added in achievements and leaderboards. These are a fun way for you guys to be rewarded for what you're doing on the site. You can find the achievements in your profile menu at the top of the page. If you look at the achievements page, you can also see what task you need to complete in order to earn each achievement. Once you earn an achievement, you will gain XP (Experience Points) that will help you get to higher levels. Some achievements are still in the process of being configured and achievements will be rewarded for tasks that were completed before the system was in place.

Let me know if you guys have any questions!

Is the picture upload size going to go back to what it was or is it staying at the smaller size? We have been having to take screenshots of our own pictures to get them small enough to upload.

Also right now I don't see a visual difference between read and unread threads.

I lowered the image sizes months ago,

this was done in response to you using the forum as your personal hosting site for image which crushes our servers.

I personally think you should host your own image, maybe we can increase the size for those who support the site, but I am not changing the values for everyone or for no reason. These huge files you are trying to upload are bandwidth killer. I host over 8TB of bandwidth every month on here, you all take advantage of that so I reduced it, a post was made about it at the time

Why can't we post regular pictures anymore?

Never mind, this page wasn't refreshed until I posted.

Seriously

You can post "regular" pictures, you just have to limit the size,

See watch

IMG_0838.JPG

I just posted a REGULAR PICTURE so can you, but you have to limit the size of the file

I was wondering about that "showcase achievements" tab or whatever it is, yeah. Was there an increase in post default font size too? Seems like there was...

Lowlights, sorry man I wasn't trying to sound like a smart ass or anything I'm just not that good at this computer stuff. I saw the thread on how to do it on an I phone earlier but I have a galaxy so that didn't work for me.

So it looks like the upgrade to go for is the "supporter" ones?
    I'm guessing you just go into PP and cancel your current subscription then come back here and do the new subscription and good to go with online training & some other fun cool stuff?

Also can we possibly get an option to do a one time gift purchase for someone for like the yearly supporter tier?
    Or would that be a bit too hard to code in?

Reactions: Lowlight
    Well this is weird. I can only see and get into this thread if it's on top in the "Team Room". If I'm in "The Pit" on PC or phone it doesn't even show. :oops:

• Love
    Reactions: Snipe260
    Seriously

You can post "regular" pictures, you just have to limit the size,

See watch

View attachment 7446439

I just posted a REGULAR PICTURE so can you, but you have to limit the size of the file
    Hey Frank I dont mean to be "that guy" but that bipod looks a little out of square. :)

this was done in response to you using the forum as your personal hosting site for image which crushes our servers.

I personally think you should host your own image, maybe we can increase the size for those who support the site, but I am not changing the values for everyone or for no reason. These huge files you are trying to upload are bandwidth killer. I host over 8TB of bandwidth every month on here, you all take advantage of that so I reduced it, a post was made about it at the time
    The image size thing just started affecting most of us witin the last couple weeks. Your house your rules, but one major downside to having to host on other sites is that the images often expire. If you look at the first 100 pages of any of the older but still going threads, most of the images are gone... Precision rifle pic thread, Motivational pic thread etc. This site has been around for a long time and serves as a library of sorts for long range shooting. If there is any way to preserve the images without involving a third party, even if it's a small fee for posting images, I'd be all for it. When hosted images expire we lose information.

The image size thing just started affecting most of us witin the last couple weeks. Your house your rules, but one major downside to having to host on other sites is that the images often expire. If you look at the first 100 pages of any of the older but still going threads, most of the images are gone... Precision rifle pic thread, Motivational pic thread etc. This site has been around for a long time and serves as a library of sorts for long range shooting. If there is any way to preserve the images without involving a third party, even if it's a small fee for posting images, I'd be all for it. When hosted images expire we lose information.
    Especially with the photobucket forum break of 2017. If the decision is to keep the sizes small I'm fine with that.

You really are too stupid to reply too in this regard but I will give it a go

Hosting Images takes up server space and causes big chunks of data to be transferred back and forth, that server space and those chunks of data cost money... in fact, they ARE the costs, we are well over $1000s of dollars a month to pay for the servers.

Still, you want me to cover the costs of HOSTING YOUR IMAGES?

I can see about upping the quota for paying members, but honestly, this is pretty pathetic you think I should be hosting your images for free. (I get it, you said you would pay a "small fee" but the reality is you won't, we have too many examples of the membership doing everything humanly possible to steal from me vs volunteering to pay their fair share. too many, I am not a business selling on here, too many members using this as their personal pawnshops never returning the favor or paying back for what they take. I have been warning forever...

I covered the costs of this site for 8 years 100% out of my pocket, when I attempted to monetize you complained. I opened the door for more and more and you still took advantage, I warned and warned over and over...

Well now the changes to my investment are happening and it will fundamentally change this site, if you don't like it, the door is that way...but since you never took me serious before I doubt you will now, so do what you want

Host your own images, the loss of information is your problem not mine

We've also added in achievements and leaderboards. These are a fun way for you guys to be rewarded for what you're doing on the site. You can find the achievements in your profile menu at the top of the page. If you look at the achievements page, you can also see what task you need to complete in order to earn each achievement. Once you earn an achievement, you will gain XP (Experience Points) that will help you get to higher levels. Some achievements are still in the process of being configured and achievements will be rewarded for tasks that were completed before the system was in place.
    I don't see any sort of achievements or tasks related to achievement levels.....screen shot of where on the profile page its is, please???

1602805668312.png

How are we supposed to tell between read and unread threads? First 2 have new posts. Third already read.

Edit: never mind. I see the New now.
    Screenshot_20201015-175511_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
    What is max pic size at now? Whatever it is can probably stand to shrink even more.

Do failed upload attempts cause congestion or cost bandwidth?? It may be a benifit to have the max size listed when adding pics or attaching files so we know what it needs to be under. Or even on the error page we get when uploading fails. I've had to resize pics several times to get small enough to post. These phone cameras are getting higher and higher quality.

If you have hi-res pics that you need to upload - here or elsewhere - you can resize them first, like @lowlight said... there's no real need to have a 4000 x 3000 pixel image for posting online. 1000x800 works just fine for most purposes.

If your current image program is a little hinky on how to do that, use something like IrfanView. Been around for years, and with the (also free) plugins, it'll resize *and* save in a compressed web-friendly version.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Frank
    A few other forums require you to post the URL of the image

you can either add your own html
    around the url or click the pic button to add the URL. They don’t host pictures

If users are uploading pictures it’s to some other site and a link to the forum.

maybe try that here?

I get it, you said you would pay a "small fee
    I think you could get a pile of people to pay $20-30/month

I can see deleting the pics in the bs forums like Maggie’s/bear pit. But the tech forums it’s nice to have that stuff.

I would definitely pay to post pics here. So much easier. Couple clicks and done.

I don't see any sort of achievements or tasks related to achievement levels.....screen shot of where on the profile page its is, please???

View attachment 7446526
    If you click on your name at the top of the site and then open the dropdown menu, you will see an option called achievements and you can see all the achievements and criteria there! Once you earn an achievement then there will be a tab on your profile page.

Last edited by a moderator:
    If you are posting pictures from an iOS device you can resize them automatically when you post them. In iOS 14 select your photo. Click on show selected, then actual size. A menu will open allowing you to select the size of the photo you post.

Pre iOS 14 as well.

If you click n your name at the top of the site and then open the dropdown menu, you will see an option called achievements and you can see all the achievements and criteria there! Once you earn an achievement then there will be a tab on your profile page.

While the digital stickers type stuff is great and all, Something that you could consider that might generate a bit more interest in subscriptions, would be something along the lines of what a lot of other folks are doing on their YouTube and various subscription service channels.

Have things like:
    Regular weekly / monthly drawings for various gear that was used in reviews, that all the subscribers are automatically entered into.
    Personalized help with questions for subscribers,
    priority in answering questions,
    Worthwhile discount codes for various resellers, that actually help you get something cheaper than you could go out and find it for with a bit of searching.
    Branded merchandise and subscriber exclusive branded merchandise.
    Site run, subscriber exclusive purchase deals for hard to find or in demand gear (that gets delivered promptly!)
    Opt in option for receiving free samples when new companies want to get a product out and get people talking about it.

If you click on your name at the top of the site and then open the dropdown menu, you will see an option called achievements and you can see all the achievements and criteria there! Once you earn an achievement then there will be a tab on your profile page.
    Well, perhaps I'm a wee bit dense today, but no....I looked there before and I still don't see it. What am I missing???

1602859645403.png

@alexj-12 -oh, also....on the donations page function, I selected "undisclosed amount" but this showing "undisclosed" AND the amount! haha

Last edited:
    I don't envy you the task, Frank. FWIW, I did get off my a$$ and paid for a supporter account ;) It's not much in the larger scheme of things, but I've been a member long enough it's well overdue.

BTW, someone mentioned earlier putting the tighter limits and/or expirations on the more transient stuff like the Bear Pit, etc. and I have to say, that makes a certain amount of sense. I do enjoy cruising through and seeing some of the stuff in there... but its not like I'm coming back a year or three later trying to make heads or tails of things and need the pictures for 'context'. Some of the technical threads in Reloading or similar forums would suffer quite a bit - there's a lot of good content that's still messed up from the migration back from Scout, unfortunately.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with it (y)

Reactions: Baron23